The Student Room Group

Family want to set me up with cousin?

I'm 21 and my grandparents and aunts and uncles keep trying to set me up with my cousin, and I'm totally weirded out by it.

She's not my cousin cousin - I think she's my "second cousin once removed" if I've worked it out properly. I'm not even attracted to her in the slightest, yet her parents seem to have been doing the matchmaking without my knowledge so when I went to some family reunion a couple of weeks ago, all of a sudden there was this random girl trying to get all over me, who it turns out "is who we've all been telling you about." It was really uncomfortable, and now she's practically stalking me. It's almost as if I've somehow ended up in this committed relationship without even knowing it, and people are confused angry that I haven't returned her (many, MANY calls), as if I'm some guy who keeps avoiding his wife to sneak off and have affairs. I've only been in the same room as her once, and even that was spent making as much conversation with everyone BUT her as possible.

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I've no bloody idea what to do. Mainly I want to pack my bags, move to the Alaskan wilderness and hide for the rest of my life. Or am I the one being weird, and it's completely normal to date your second cousin?

In my books, it's a major no-go area and creeps me out. Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 21 and my grandparents and aunts and uncles keep trying to set me up with my cousin, and I'm totally weirded out by it.

She's not my cousin cousin - I think she's my "second cousin once removed" if I've worked it out properly. I'm not even attracted to her in the slightest, yet her parents seem to have been doing the matchmaking without my knowledge so when I went to some family reunion a couple of weeks ago, all of a sudden there was this random girl trying to get all over me, who it turns out "is who we've all been telling you about." It was really uncomfortable, and now she's practically stalking me. It's almost as if I've somehow ended up in this committed relationship without even knowing it, and people are confused angry that I haven't returned her (many, MANY calls), as if I'm some guy who keeps avoiding his wife to sneak off and have affairs. I've only been in the same room as her once, and even that was spent making as much conversation with everyone BUT her as possible.

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I've no bloody idea what to do. Mainly I want to pack my bags, move to the Alaskan wilderness and hide for the rest of my life. Or am I the one being weird, and it's completely normal to date your second cousin?

It seems a bit too closely related to me, and the fact that you're not attracted just cements that it would be an apalling idea.

Just say it how it is; the truth is always the best in the end.

Either that or get someone to pretend to be your GF until this blows over (or actually get a GF)

Hope that helps!
H
Lol w.t.f.

Just tell her you're not interested. No need to make a big deal out of it and hurt anyone. Just say, nah not for me thanks and go find a girlfriend (not from your families circle) asap
Explain to your parents that you aren't attracted to her and you don't want to date a relative. Forced marriages are illegal in the uk, so your parents can't force you. Honesty is best; you don't want to marry her and be miserable for life.
run.
Reply 5
Original post by 09HB
It seems a bit too closely related to me, and the fact that you're not attracted just cements that it would be an apalling idea.

Just say it how it is; the truth is always the best in the end.

Either that or get someone to pretend to be your GF until this blows over (or actually get a GF)

Hope that helps!
H

Could be a good idea, but on the other hand, they could just take it as a full on affair and a family disgrace.

Original post by Bern Herkins
Lol w.t.f.

Just tell her you're not interested. No need to make a big deal out of it and hurt anyone. Just say, nah not for me thanks and go find a girlfriend (not from your families circle) asap

Believe me, this girl doesn't really know when to take a hint. Although I don't really have any interest in finding a girlfriend. I'm far too busy and I like the one-night-fling kind of life. No drama. Relationships always spell drama. Hell, here's the first "relationship" in my life, and it's causing me drama and I didn't even know I was in one!

Original post by georgiaswift
Explain to your parents that you aren't attracted to her and you don't want to date a relative. Forced marriages are illegal in the uk, so your parents can't force you. Honesty is best; you don't want to marry her and be miserable for life.

My mum thinks it's weird too, but it's my dad's side of the family (they're northern country folk and sort of closed-off). My dad was beaten as a kid and whenever we see my grandparents, he sort of goes all weird and agreeable and goes along with anything.

Original post by Angry Bird
run.

Believe me, I've thought about it. A nice shack up by Juneau, fishing boat, little gennie in the back yard. Would certainly be a hell of a lot simpler!
Show them pictures of the mutants from Wrong Turn and say you'll end up with grandkids like this if you carry on, should do the trick :h:
Reply 7
I say just try to tell your grandparents; if your mum's on-side then you won't lose everyone if it all goes pear-shaped.

H
Reply 8
Original post by somemightsay888
Show them pictures of the mutants from Wrong Turn and say you'll end up with grandkids like this if you carry on, should do the trick :h:

Yeah, they keep asking me "Have you given her a child yet?". It's really freaky. Would probably be some three-armed, deaf, mathematical genius, whose potential is never explored because it got hungry one time and decided to eat itself.
peak times.......:frown:
woah.....i don't think its normal to date your cousins at all.
If I was u, I'd be wishing to disappear into thin air but cause that's impossible.........i advise u to explain it to ur parents and if they don't seem to understand you,I advise you to say to the girl that u don't want to date her and maybe she could explain it to her parents.
Easy make the girl hate you. Go on a date, burp as much as you can, don't keep the door open for her, use whatsapp/tsr as often, spill wine on her dress without apologizing etc etc.

Tbh to break a relationship is sooo easy... lol

Right i have an idea is the girl modern cause if she is then she may understand ur problem and be able to help u out as if ur parents will not listen to you then try talking to her she may be able to convince them to leave u alone and not to fix ur relation with her, but if she is a stalker as u say she is then maybe u should just talk to someone from ur family who understands u and may be able to help u out. is there anyone from ur family who u can trust?
Are you South Asian, Muslim? Why in this day and age would you be told to marry a cousin, you're 21 ffs. Grow some balls and say no. You don't fancy her so tell them. They'll be sad for a bit. Find your own girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The original post coupled by the responses are so wild in conjunction that I don't even know whether to actually take this seriously and try to help the poor bastard or just try not to wake up my entire building due to my laughter.
Original post by TaintedLight
Easy make the girl hate you. Go on a date, burp as much as you can, don't keep the door open for her, use whatsapp/tsr as often, spill wine on her dress without apologizing etc etc.

Tbh to break a relationship is sooo easy... lol

Lol, thats actually so true she would run, trust me u should im a girl so i would know :smile:

Just say no everytime they make a move or try and get her on you.
Well then you "don't know" anything about this and just think she's some weird girl trying to get all over you, ignore it or just be good friends with her.
That's funny :rofl: let them be why should you do something you really don't want to do and you don't even want to do anything with her lol
Nope you're not weird, it's weird. Incest is not normal, someone preferably not from your family line is a suitable mate.
Like someone suggested just pretend or get and actual GF
Or like i would do, just be an ignorant mofo and piss people off more :smile:

i love the way u wrote this
your so normal! silghtly comical also

but seriously, **** her off
Reply 17
Block her on social media and hide for a few days xD (to a friend's house maybe?)
Don't let the longstanding British tradition down and **** her.
JK. **** her off and your other relatives.
If you change your mind, then remember: if Jamie Lannister can be happy with Cersei, then you can be happy with your cousin. But, it's still ****ed up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 09HB
I say just try to tell your grandparents; if your mum's on-side then you won't lose everyone if it all goes pear-shaped.

H

They're not really the kind of people you say no to.

Original post by tamil fever
peak times.......:frown:
woah.....i don't think its normal to date your cousins at all.
If I was u, I'd be wishing to disappear into thin air but cause that's impossible.........i advise u to explain it to ur parents and if they don't seem to understand you,I advise you to say to the girl that u don't want to date her and maybe she could explain it to her parents.

My mum understands, but it's my dad's side of the family. And whenever I've tried to explain things to the dreaded cousin (known as IT from hereonout), It just goes a bit crazy, giggles and says things like "Oh you might think that now, but don't worry. I can make you love me".

Original post by x-bhakti-patel
Right i have an idea is the girl modern cause if she is then she may understand ur problem and be able to help u out as if ur parents will not listen to you then try talking to her she may be able to convince them to leave u alone and not to fix ur relation with her, but if she is a stalker as u say she is then maybe u should just talk to someone from ur family who understands u and may be able to help u out. is there anyone from ur family who u can trust?

It is not a modern girl, and to be honest I don't think It is "all there" either. Nobody I can trust on my dad's side apart from another cousin who's a bit of a breakaway - he's one of the first in our generation to want to leave the village and actually go to university and pursue a career. But nobody takes him seriously. They think he's just gay/mentally unstable/deluded/rebellious/selfish for not wanting to keep living at the farms.

Original post by SMEGGGY
Are you South Asian, Muslim? Why in this day and age would you be told to marry a cousin, you're 21 ffs. Grow some balls and say no. You don't fancy her so tell them. They'll be sad for a bit. Find your own girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all. I'm a (for the most part) normal, white, athiest, middle class, tech grad student from London.

Original post by shawtyb
i love the way u wrote this
your so normal! silghtly comical also

but seriously, **** her off

I've tried the dick approach. (No sniggering!) She just says I'm being silly and it's apparently "cute".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending