The Student Room Group

What are your parents' views on gay people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobML
They couldn't care less afaik

Homophobic parents... :erm:
My dad is fine with it, my mum isn't.
Reply 62
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Homophobic parents... :erm:

Yours?
Original post by RobML
Yours?

Oui. :facepalm2:
Reply 64
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Oui. :facepalm2:

How bad?
They're pretty homophobic... But I wouldn't expect any better from a lot of first generation Indian parents. :/
Dad is fine with it, mum is extremely homophobic. You should see how she reacts when he brings home other men.

"NOT OUR MARITAL BED"- "**** SAKE TONY, THEYRE OUR BEST CUSHIONS" :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RobML
How bad?

On a scale of 1-10, maybe a 7?
My mum will repeatedly go on and on about the fact that "she doesn't care whether [I'm] gay, straight, bi, pan etc., but she says this exact thing so much I start to wonder whether she's annoyed about the fact that I'm bi...but she has a gay friend so it's unlikely.

My dad doesn't have a problem with them- I think he just sometimes gets a little overwhelmed by overly camp people. He's quite a sheepish human being at times...:redface:

My stepmum has no problem with them. She's a very open minded person- people can lead their lives the way they want to! :groovy:

And my stepdad...
Being a Norfolk-born privately educated person in a highly Christian family...
He doesn't mind homosexuality as a thing but will look away or even leave if he sees two homosexual people kissing. But he's in the Navy, so I don't understand why! :rolleyes:
My mum is fine with it, I think, but I think she is a little bit old fashioned, and does use non PC terms like 'poof' or 'dyke' and she doesn't mean to be mean, she just genuinely thinks these terms are ok.
She's a bit funny about bisexuality. She thinks bisexual girls are attention seeking sluts who just want to please men, and bi guys are promiscuous animals who have sex parties and every STD under the sun. She once said she'd rather her child was gay/lesbian than bi.

My dad is fine with people who are but he thinks people are influenced to be gay by falling into the wrong crowd, especially lesbians. He thinks adverts like 'some people are gay get over it' should be banned as it apparently encourages people to be gay?? He doesn't believe in gay adoption because the kids will be embarrassed and bullied at school, but he does believe in gay marriage. He has a weird opinion tbh, I've never heard someone who thinks exactly like him
Lets see... Mom doesnt like it. Dad doesnt like it. Sister doesnt like it. Me? I dont care. It doesnt interest me or something i care about so no.

My mom calls them nasty people though. I guess thats an opinion of the lgbt. Even though they dislike homosexuality they still express sadness towards the accident.
(edited 7 years ago)
Mum & Dad, both are not one of the other, not bothered basically. :smile:
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Dad is fine with it, mum is extremely homophobic. You should see how she reacts when he brings home other men.

"NOT OUR MARITAL BED"- "**** SAKE TONY, THEYRE OUR BEST CUSHIONS" :colonhash:

Wow. I like to see her react when a woman is brought home.
they're generally accepting of gay people and gay marriage, but they didn't always used to be
My mum and her side of the family think it's disgusting and a disease.

And anyway, I come from a culture where homosexuality is rarely spoken about. I did not know what it was when I came to the UK in primary school, but when I did, I learnt a week later. None of them give it thought.

I haven't spoken to my dad in years but from what I remember him he was a concise, conservative man who shot down any ******** thrown at him. When I tried to justifying believing in God he straight up told me I was BSing myself and had no real rationale for it. Now I've come full circle and I've became more religious again after being an atheist, but I'd like to think my dad just doesn't think about politics and philosophy as much as I do, or he has different fundamental values shaping him., and that's why he doesn't agree with me, rather than he is wrong.

Unfortunatley he seems to be pro-LGBT, but luckily not enough to support gay marriage. When you try argue with him about something, he has the authority to make you feel afraid of challenging his point of view.

My dad's sister is the only supporter.
Original post by loveleest
My Mum thinks homosexuals couples are disgusting and that homosexuals should get delivered because they have demonic spirits in them (Excuse me, my Mum and I were raised in a Pentecostal environment so excuse these weird thought)

I have challenged her ideas on it and yet she justifies her beliefs from the bible...Me and my Mum just have different views on most things unfortunately.

Woah. Your mom thinks gay couples are gross too.? So does my both my parents! You actucally argue with your mom about things like that? I guess homosexuality could be a demon. Never thought of like that before.
Original post by SmileyVibe
Woah. Your mom thinks gay couples are gross too.? So does my both my parents! You actucally argue with your mom about things like that? I guess homosexuality could be a demon. Never thought of like that before.

Haha, no I don't argue with my Mum about things like that. It's pointless, I can't change her views on things like that. However, when my Mum seems a gay couple on TV she would say very homophobic things like "yuck, that's disgusting" "absolute nasty idiots" and then I obviously question her beliefs and then she'd say something like "Gay people have demonic spirits inside of them" ( A pentecostal belief is that every bad thing is compelled by some of of evil spirit) so that's her views on homosexuality.

Me and my Mum agree to disagree on most things.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by drowzee
They're pretty homophobic... But I wouldn't expect any better from a lot of first generation Indian parents. :/

Speaking from experience, it doesn't get much better in the 2nd and 3rd generation either tbh :lol:/
Original post by loveleest
Haha, no I don't argue with my Mum about things like that. It's pointless, I can't change her views on things like that. However, when my Mum seems a gay couple on TV she would say very homophobic things like "yuck, that's disgusting" "absolute nasty idiots" and then I obviously question her beliefs and then she'd say something like "Gay people have demonic spirits inside of them" ( A pentecostal belief is that every bad thing is compelled by some of of evil spirit) so that's her views on homosexuality.

Me and my Mum agree to disagree on most things.

I thought you were just rebellious, lol. Your mom sounds like my Mom! Where your mom from? Is she foreign? For me it doesnt really bother me.
Very hetronormative and homophobic at times, which is awful sometimes because that means I have to stay closeted around them until Septemeber when I have somewhere else to live.

Quick Reply