The Student Room Group

how many driving lessons until you passed?

iv only done less then 5 and had to stop due to kids, money, lack of time etc but i wish to persue this as its easier to drive, more places to go etc so im looking for inspiration :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shawtyb
iv only done less then 5 and had to stop due to kids, money, lack of time etc but i wish to persue this as its easier to drive, more places to go etc so im looking for inspiration :smile:

I took around 40 altogether, took 25 lessons for my first driving test but failed, so had to take another 15 lessons because my driving instructor insisted.. national average is 45 hours! :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by 123456789012
I took around 40 altogether, took 25 lessons for my first driving test but failed, so had to take another 15 lessons because my driving instructor insisted.. national average is 45 hours! :redface:

jesus!
just asked my bf, he started on monday and passed on friday but the army put him through his ones
Original post by shawtyb
jesus!
just asked my bf, he started on monday and passed on friday but the army put him through his ones

I didn't have any private practice hours though :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I didn't have any private practise hours though :tongue:

he just said he did 3 a day, so it was sort of like an intense one i guess
Original post by shawtyb
he just said he did 3 a day, so it was sort of like an intense one i guess

How many hours did he take altogether?
About 30 and got 3 minors passed first time:smile:
Reply 7
I did 22 hours before my test :yep:
Reply 8
How many hours did he take altogether?

12 - he done the actual test friday

Original post by Biologist123
About 30 and got 3 minors passed first time:smile:

thats good! well done

Original post by Alexion
I did 22 hours before my test :yep:

thats also very good!
Original post by shawtyb
12 - he done the actual test friday

And he had no private practice? Damn, that's impressive :tongue:
Reply 10
And he had no private practice? Damn, that's impressive :tongue:

his gear changing could be a bit smoother lol
Reply 11
Hahaha, umm, honestly? I had at least 90 hours, it was ridiculous!!!
Reply 12
Original post by BeckaH2
Hahaha, umm, honestly? I had at least 90 hours, it was ridiculous!!!

ouch!
how the f did u afford that?!
Had 38 lessons with the slowest ever instructor who took a ludicrously long time to teach me new stuff. It was so bad my brothers urged my parents to get me another instructor since they'd all passed with max of 12 lessons. It was a bit awkward because of social connections so I stuck with him. I also had quite a bit of private practice including doing my first ever manouvres because of the slow pace of instruction. My mum took me to various carparks to get me confident in handling my car. After that I drove to and from school on a daily basis. Honestly I think if it hadn't been for my mum, I'd still be learning.
Reply 14
Original post by DougallnDougall
Had 38 lessons with the slowest ever instructor who took a ludicrously long time to teach me new stuff. It was so bad my brothers urged my parents to get me another instructor since they'd all passed with max of 12 lessons. It was a bit awkward because of social connections so I stuck with him. I also had quite a bit of private practice including doing my first ever manouvres because of the slow pace of instruction. My mum took me to various carparks to get me confident in handling my car. After that I drove to and from school on a daily basis. Honestly I think if it hadn't been for my mum, I'd still be learning.

aw bless her
my instructor was quite good actually, he got rated the highest level and said my emergency stop was up to driving test standards :smile:
he even countersigned my SFE form hahaha
15 hours. Staggered how some people required 50+..
The only people who pass in 12 lessons are people who drive a shed load on their own

Its no brag having 12 driving lessons when you are driving 20 hours a week with your mum for 6 months :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
I had 60-70 hours, just because my parents wanted me to be capable of driving rather well once I began because where I live is an accident hot spot, so I had lessons in as many conditions as my instructor could manage, night, storms, hail, mist etc. I mean I passed with only 2 minors, and one of them was because I hesitated while overtaking one of my instructor's cyclist friends.
Reply 18
Original post by TheFarmerLad
15 hours. Staggered how some people required 50+..

hope i do it before then

Original post by Betelgeuse-
The only people who pass in 12 lessons are people who drive a shed load on their own

Its no brag having 12 driving lessons when you are driving 20 hours a week with your mum for 6 months :colonhash:

he wasnt aloud to drive on his own, his in the military and they need a different license for each differnet vehicle so theres no way he could do it

Original post by Penguinfarts
I had 60-70 hours, just because my parents wanted me to be capable of driving rather well once I began because where I live is an accident hot spot, so I had lessons in as many conditions as my instructor could manage, night, storms, hail, mist etc. I mean I passed with only 2 minors, and one of them was because I hesitated while overtaking one of my instructor's cyclist friends.

you sound more then capable :smile:
Took me 26 hours, which with my instructor was 13 lessons. 2 hour lessons are definitely the fastest to learn, there's a much better proportion of warm up to learning/practise time.

Quick Reply

Latest