The Student Room Group

Crossing out answer in exam

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the rulings on crossing answers out in Maths Edexcel were like.

In a recent maths exam, I did the question correctly the first time round. Then I checked it by doing the question again (in pencil). I got a different answer so I went back to my first attempt and DIDNT cross it out but I put a note next to it saying it's wrong.

Will examiners mark my first attempt (the right one) or my other wrong attempts?

Cheers in advance!
If the note was clear enough and you have another answer, then you should be fine.
I thought the normal method was to do a ruled diagonal line through it, to indicate it was to be ignored.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If the note was clear enough and you have another answer, then you should be fine.
I thought the normal method was to do a ruled diagonal line through it, to indicate it was to be ignored.

Yep, you're right about the diagonal line. That's usually the norm but I'm weird like that, lol.

With regards to my situation, I don't think you understand.
I did the question twice:
Correctly the first time
Wrong the second time round

However, on the first time round, I put a note to say to ignore the answer.

Reckon I'd get positively marked?
Original post by ArafatQ
Yep, you're right about the diagonal line. That's usually the norm but I'm weird like that, lol.

With regards to my situation, I don't think you understand.
I did the question twice:
Correctly the first time
Wrong the second time round

However, on the first time round, I put a note to say to ignore the answer.

Reckon I'd get positively marked?

I have another phrase for weird like that....

Yes you are right I misunderstood. I actually dont know what the protocol in that situation is. I'd expect it would be to do as your note requested and mark the one that was meant to be marked, even if it wasnt correct.

Thats because you could its to stop cnadidates having multiple goes.

I have no idea if an experienced maths marker might spot your error and the fact the first was correct and bypass protocol. I'd say he shouldnt.

If your working was roughly the same then you should have got marks for that.

Cross things out properly as they request or you will just risk confusion.

Quick Reply

Latest