The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 English Language LG4 exam timings?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amykyffin
Ah thats helpful !! The sample answers sound good!? x

there we go! this is the only one thats readable haha !
Original post by Shellabear
there we go! this is the only one thats readable haha !

P

Lovely thank you!! :smile:
Reply 42
Is anyone else really struggling to annotate the texts (for Section B) within about 5 minutes, because I am!!
I can do section A but it takes me too long to annotate section B texts!
(edited 7 years ago)
Do we need to learn key theories or anything like that for the exam? I haven't been taught any, so if anyone knows any good phrases I can put in for either section A or section B then that would be a great help, thanks! I don't know how to revise for it either, apart from learning terminology- very boring!!
Original post by Shellabear
On section B, language change, how many points do i have to write in each text? And how many of those should be comparative points? i always struggle to fit all the points in in the time!

we've been taught to discuss 3 main points about each text which one comparative point at the end of each text discussion - never run out of time with this
Reply 45
Original post by liz.dixon123
Do we need to learn key theories or anything like that for the exam? I haven't been taught any, so if anyone knows any good phrases I can put in for either section A or section B then that would be a great help, thanks! I don't know how to revise for it either, apart from learning terminology- very boring!!

There are a few on here for section A - Grice's Maxims, Lakoff politeness principle

Theories don't need to be known inside out and back to front, you just have to make some comments on whether the speech in the transcripts follows the theories or not.

Lakoff - women are polite in their language, they use hedges, superpolite forms of words, hypercorrect grammar and lack a sense of humour (THEORY STEMMED FROM FEMINIST MOVEMENT)
Zimmerman + West - men interrupt more than women, they do this to establish dominance
Fishman - women use tag questions to keep a conversation going
Tannen - male vs female language: males speak for status, independence, advice, information, orders, and conflict while females speak for support, intimacy, understanding, feelings, proposals and compromise

Then there's your typical spoken language theorists like Grice and his maxims, Lakoff and Leech's politeness theories and positive/negative face etc.
Reply 47
Original post by emily_psych
we've been taught to discuss 3 main points about each text which one comparative point at the end of each text discussion - never run out of time with this

Just 3? Do you mean 3 for tenor, 3 for language change and 3 for attitudes etc. Or just 3 for the whole piece?
Original post by LauraJoyx
Just 3? Do you mean 3 for tenor, 3 for language change and 3 for attitudes etc. Or just 3 for the whole piece?

3 points about each text with 1 comparative - 12 points in the whole essay.
Reply 49
3 points about each text with 1 comparative - 12 points in the whole essay.

Really? We've been taught to make around 7? I don't know ahah maybe thats why I'm running out of time! :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Really? We've been taught to make around 7? I don't know ahah maybe hats why I'm running out of time! :s-smilie:

Yeah, I've been getting pretty much full marks in all of my mock exams with this technique and I always have time to check over my essays.
Thank you! Do we need theories for section B?
Also what sort of terminology would you recommend using?
What should I put in the introduction and the conclusion?
How many points should we make for each text?
Thanks so much again
Thank you!
Do you have any for section B?
What would you include in the introduction and the conclusion?
How many points should be made for each text in each section of the exam?
Reply 53
Yeah, I've been getting pretty much full marks in all of my mock exams with this technique and I always have time to check over my essays.

Oh right, so what do you write in them to get full marks?
Oh right, so what do you write in them to get full marks?

This is one of my essays, hope it helps!
Thank you! Do we need theories for section B?
Also what sort of terminology would you recommend using?
What should I put in the introduction and the conclusion?
How many points should we make for each text?
Thanks so much again

No theories needed for section B! Just try and remember some key dates, like when the first dictionary was published and when grammar/punctuation was standardised.
For section B I'd recommend just approaching it like GCSE English Lang, analyse each text within itself and just make a few brief comparative points at the end of each text discussion. Each text warrants it's own intro where you discuss the year and where the text came from, what you expect because of that info etc.
Reply 56
This is one of my essays, hope it helps!

Thank you so much! I'll read it now :smile:
Reply 58
How did everyone think it went??
Reply 59
How did everyone think it went??

Alright, not really good but not really bad either. Section A was ok, not a massive fan of the BBC bias though. For text A on the Diamond Jubilee, it stated there were complaints and I said the maxim of quality and relevance was being flaunted as even the language of Dr Anna was quite informal despite being a historian, idk about this really. Section B was not nice, not much of a contrast between the first two although a huge difference between A/B and C. I mainly talked about the development of multi modal texts and the simpler lexical and grammatical choices in text C.

All the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending