The Student Room Group

Should I just stick to 3 A levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ageshallnot
I doubt very much whether King's would count an EPQ as equivalent to a fourth AS, but you can try asking them.

If not, either don't apply there or suck it up and take four subjects to AS and then drop either Spanish or English Lit.

I can't drop linear a levels. I might ask my college or just apply elsewhere. Thanks anyway
Original post by geniequeen48
I can't drop linear a levels. I might ask my college or just apply elsewhere. Thanks anyway

Hey!

I'm currently studying four A2 levels, and am considering not taking up my university offers for Literature, taking a gap year, and applying to Medicine. In that respect, taking enough A Levels to allow for a change of heart has been brilliant. I also do a language, German, and it's brilliant because it provides a contrast to my other studies without being useless, and so if you will find Spanish easy, I'd really recommend you go for it! Doing four hasn't really been too difficult, and I've managed to do an EPQ and various other things, despite not being superbly intelligent, so as long as you don't let it affect your mental health too much, I've found it almost encouraging, as I have the option of screwing up on a paper and still managing to get into uni based on my other grades (though hopefully I won't!).

One of my friends took up one of the linear A-Levels to fill a space on her timetable after having completed maths A-Level in one year last year, and because she will be going to university instead of continuing the subject to A2, she will get an AS in that subject - apparently the only way the AS won't count for anything is if you continue to A2. It's a strange system, but that's how it's working for Business and I think for the rest of the curriculum too, so I think while you would be encouraged by teachers to continue with a subject for two years, you by no means have to! :smile:

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by tribiasfour
Hey!

I'm currently studying four A2 levels, and am considering not taking up my university offers for Literature, taking a gap year, and applying to Medicine. In that respect, taking enough A Levels to allow for a change of heart has been brilliant. I also do a language, German, and it's brilliant because it provides a contrast to my other studies without being useless, and so if you will find Spanish easy, I'd really recommend you go for it! Doing four hasn't really been too difficult, and I've managed to do an EPQ and various other things, despite not being superbly intelligent, so as long as you don't let it affect your mental health too much, I've found it almost encouraging, as I have the option of screwing up on a paper and still managing to get into uni based on my other grades (though hopefully I won't!).

One of my friends took up one of the linear A-Levels to fill a space on her timetable after having completed maths A-Level in one year last year, and because she will be going to university instead of continuing the subject to A2, she will get an AS in that subject - apparently the only way the AS won't count for anything is if you continue to A2. It's a strange system, but that's how it's working for Business and I think for the rest of the curriculum too, so I think while you would be encouraged by teachers to continue with a subject for two years, you by no means have to! :smile:

Hope this helps! :smile:

Hi
Thanks for your response, it was really useful :smile: So I CAN drop a level spanish and gain separate AS even tho it's linear, or this depends on my college? I'm kinda confused how this new a level system works ahah. I'm leaning towards not doing spanish cos I don't see the use of it, but if I could drop it...that's a different story haha.
Original post by geniequeen48
Hi
Thanks for your response, it was really useful :smile: So I CAN drop a level spanish and gain separate AS even tho it's linear, or this depends on my college? I'm kinda confused how this new a level system works ahah. I'm leaning towards not doing spanish cos I don't see the use of it, but if I could drop it...that's a different story haha.

Heyy, no worries, I'm glad it was helpful! :smile:

Yeahh, I checked with my German teacher today when I bumped into him, and he says that's how it is at all colleges as far as he's aware, and while a college may not want a student to drop a subject for league table reasons and the like, they shouldn't be able to stop you. Technically, you can drop any subject at any time before you're entered for the exam, which happens around March/April time, so dropping in September shouldn't be a problem! :smile:
Original post by tribiasfour
Heyy, no worries, I'm glad it was helpful! :smile:

Yeahh, I checked with my German teacher today when I bumped into him, and he says that's how it is at all colleges as far as he's aware, and while a college may not want a student to drop a subject for league table reasons and the like, they shouldn't be able to stop you. Technically, you can drop any subject at any time before you're entered for the exam, which happens around March/April time, so dropping in September shouldn't be a problem! :smile:

That's great to know! Thank you so much for helping :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest