The Student Room Group

A in History

Is there any point applying to a top university for Ancient History and Archaeology if I don't have an A* in GCSE History? I was ill for the exam, so have been told that it would be nearly impossible for me to get an A*, but I'm hoping for an A. Should I retake in November?
Original post by LN1234
Is there any point applying to a top university for Ancient History and Archaeology if I don't have an A* in GCSE History? I was ill for the exam, so have been told that it would be nearly impossible for me to get an A*, but I'm hoping for an A. Should I retake in November?

Just try to concentrate on your A Level History more instead of retaking. That is way more important.
Reply 2
Original post by george_c00per
Just try to concentrate on your A Level History more instead of retaking. That is way more important.

But wouldn't universities see my GCSEs, as I won't have done my A Levels before I reply. Thanks anyway though :smile:
Original post by LN1234
But wouldn't universities see my GCSEs, as I won't have done my A Levels before I reply. Thanks anyway though :smile:

Universities don't care about GCSEs - if you can get predicted an A* in A level history that's all that matters
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by nomophobia
Universities don't care about GCSEs - if you can get predicted an A* in A level history that's all that matters
Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks. I'll focus on getting a good grade for that then
Original post by LN1234

They will see your GCSEs, but bearing in mind you will have predicted grades and a reference for History A Level it will still be more important. :smile:

Besides, you're doing Ancient History and Archaeology, not just plain History. That means GCSE History will be of less importance as they will probably look at your other subjects in conjunction with A Level History.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending