The Student Room Group

Stanford rapist serving only 3 months

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thutmose-III
That's up for dispute, but my comment relates to accuracy; it is simply inaccurate to call him a rapist. He wasn't convicted of rape.

Yep, but some reasons for that.

1. He was found guilty of attempted rape. In other words the jury found him guilty of intentions to rape.

2. In other states such as Pennsylvania I think penetration whilst unconscious is considered rape. Regardless of whether it was the penis, fingers, or foreign object.

3. People feel that referring to him as a sexual offender, and the act as sexual assault reduces the severity of the crime. Which has got some basis in truth, unfortunately.

But you are right, he's not a rapist. Although in my books somebody who was convicted of intentions to rape, can be considered a rapist. Because according to the jury he would have raped her if he wasn't stopped. Although obvious legally I know that that is wrong.
Original post by Underscore__
That response has always annoyed me. Sentencing isn't about emotional responses

Posted from TSR Mobile

My response?

Whether you like it or not, sentencing is about emotional responses. Human suffering is psychological just as much as physical. Cause of psychological distress is considered in sentencing.

For example, if an indivdual pleads guilty towards the end of a trial after the witness has recounted a traumatic experience, this may go against them in their sentencing in contrast to someone who pleads guilty at the start of the trail saving the witness from distress.

To say that emotions are not involved in sentencing is absolute rubbish. If a criminal act causes more severe psychological suffering, this is considered in sentencing.

Also, it's not even about emotion what I was referring to. It was about empathy, you know the ability to put yourself in a other's shoes. Unfortunately some people don't understand the suffering physical and psychological, that an action can cause unless they directly experience it themselves. This often leads to a complacent, off hand attitude. In such cases where an individual is lacking theory of mind, direct experience often helps.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I wonder if you were raped you'd think the same.

This post of yours is just perfectly congruent with the rest of your troll-like posts, "alpha" boy.

Lol...

Rofl, the 'if it were you' argument is so beta and pathetic. Of course you'd be biased for harsh punishment if it happened to you or a family, kys xd
Original post by BirdIsWord
Rofl, the 'if it were you' argument is so beta and pathetic. Of course you'd be biased for harsh punishment if it happened to you or a family, kys xd

How exactly, is that bias?
How exactly, is that bias?

???
I literally just pointed out how. Also, if your brother for example was the rapist, you'd obviously want him to be punished less, as you'd be more aware that he's only human. What's there not to understand?
My response?

Whether you like it or not, sentencing is about emotional responses. Human suffering is psychological just as much as physical. Cause of psychological distress is considered in sentencing.

It's not, judges are impartial and there are sentencing guidelines in order to ensure their persona feelings don't get involved.

For example, if an indivdual pleads guilty towards the end of a trial after the witness has recounted a traumatic experience, this may go against them in their sentencing in contrast to someone who pleads guilty at the start of the trail saving the witness from distress.

That's more to do with showing remorse/accepting responsibility for what you've done and judicial expedience.

To say that emotions are not involved in sentencing is absolute rubbish. If a criminal act causes more severe psychological suffering, this is considered in sentencing.

If two people were raped, all other circumstances were identical and the only variable was the psychological harm that the victims had suffered the sentence would be the same

Also, it's not even about emotion what I was referring to. It was about empathy, you know the ability to put yourself in a other's shoes. Unfortunately some people don't understand the suffering physical and psychological, that an action can cause unless they directly experience it themselves. This often leads to a complacent, off hand attitude. In such cases where an individual is lacking theory of mind, direct experience often helps.

By saying how would you feel you're trying to create an emotional response, people are rarely objective when things concern them personally

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not, judges are impartial and there are sentencing guidelines in order to ensure their persona feelings don't get involved.

That's more to do with showing remorse/accepting responsibility for what you've done and judicial expedience.

If two people were raped, all other circumstances were identical and the only variable was the psychological harm that the victims had suffered the sentence would be the same

By saying how would you feel you're trying to create an emotional response, people are rarely objective when things concern them personally

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who's talking about the judges personal feelings?? :confused: We are referring to the judges understanding and awareness of the emotions of the victim, not the emotions of the judge themself...

I've sat in a court room, where a judge explicitly said that they'd consider the fact that the man guilty of ABH pleaded guilty before the witness had to stand. He explicitly said it saved the woman from having the distress of recounting her experience in front of the court room. That doesn't sound like the judge recognising remorse in the perpetrator, more like what I initially said.

If the victim suffered from enduring mental illness from the rape, that probably would be used in court and during sentencing actually. Just like Turners "great potential in life" and swimming talent was used for a more lenient sentence.

But that's the point. It is personal, to imagine what the victim suffered would not create bias. It would create a more accurate understanding of the trauma experienced.
Original post by BirdIsWord
???
I literally just pointed out how. Also, if your brother for example was the rapist, you'd obviously want him to be punished less, as you'd be more aware that he's only human. What's there not to understand?

He's only human? What on earth does that mean?

Carry on with your A-levels little boy, come back when your balls have dropped.
Who's talking about the judges personal feelings?? :confused: We are referring to the judges understanding and awareness of the emotions of the victim, not the emotions of the judge themself...

I've sat in a court room, where a judge explicitly said that they'd consider the fact that the man guilty of ABH pleaded guilty before the witness had to stand. He explicitly said it saved the woman from having the distress of recounting her experience in front of the court room. That doesn't sound like the judge recognising remorse in the perpetrator, more like what I initially said.

If the victim suffered from enduring mental illness from the rape, that probably would be used in court and during sentencing actually. Just like Turners "great potential in life" and swimming talent was used for a more lenient sentence.

But that's the point. It is personal, to imagine what the victim suffered would not create bias. It would create a more accurate understanding of the trauma experienced.

It's a judge who decides on sentencing, so if emotion is going to have an impact on sentencing it'd have to impact the judge.

I'd argue that is remorse to some extent; it's saving someone from further pain.

Suffering mental illness could possibly be a factor in sentencing but that's a result of recognising further harm caused rather than being empathetic.

Using empathy in sentencing would create bias because then you remove a judge's ability to be impartial

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do US states have minimum sentencing requirements like we do in the UK (provided by the EU)?
It's a judge who decides on sentencing, so if emotion is going to have an impact on sentencing it'd have to impact the judge.

I'd argue that is remorse to some extent; it's saving someone from further pain.

Suffering mental illness could possibly be a factor in sentencing but that's a result of recognising further harm caused rather than being empathetic.

Using empathy in sentencing would create bias because then you remove a judge's ability to be impartial

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but not through the judge experiencing an emotion, but through an understanding of the emotions involved. It's even considered in terms of the defendant, an unprovoked attack is considered worse than when the defendant was provoked physically and verbally.

Well yes remorse probably does come into play for some extent, but you can't deny what was said is also in regards to the emotions of the victim.

That is empathy :wink:

Well then instead the only judges should be sociopaths because the vast majority of judges reflect empathy in their verdict, when they often refer to suffering of the victim and family.

In regards to a crime against an individual, I don't see how understanding their trauma causes bias. Contrary it'll help form a more accurate representation of what the victim is going through. I don't think bias applies in that context.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, but not through the judge experiencing an emotion, but through an understanding of the emotions involved. It's even considered in terms of the defendant, an unprovoked attack is considered worse than when the defendant was provoked physically and verbally.

That's not a judge considering how they would feel, it's more about considering what a reasonable person would have done in that situation.

Well yes remorse probably does come into play for some extent, but you can't deny what was said is also in regards to the emotions of the victim.

That is empathy :wink:

I find it strange that there would be real mental pain recounting a story of ABH. What was the name of the case? I'll look up the judgment.

Well then instead the only judges should be sociopaths because the vast majority of judges reflect empathy in their verdict, when they often refer to suffering of the victim and family.

Referring to harm caused doesn't mean they're empathising.

In regards to a crime against an individual, I don't see how understanding their trauma causes bias. Contrary it'll help form a more accurate representation of what the victim is going through. I don't think bias applies in that context.

Because people don't react objectively to things that impact them so if a judge were to consider how they would feel they're not being objective. There really is no other way of explaining that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending