The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 discussion/unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Is there a complete mark scheme yet?:smile:
Okay I keep counting up what I think I got (referring to the unofficial mark scheme) and I definitely dropped 16/17 marks. Add in a few silly mistakes and then 20 marks dropped. I'm still hopeful for an A but I honestly don't know :frown:
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Okay I keep counting up what I think I got (referring to the unofficial mark scheme) and I definitely dropped 16/17 marks. Add in a few silly mistakes and then 20 marks dropped. I'm still hopeful for an A but I honestly don't know :frown:

Usually for this module 80 marks is close to the A/B boundary. I averaged the marks you needed for an A since Jan10 and it was 77 for Chem4. Obviously you have to consider fluctuations but considering that this paper was literally trash I'd say you're safe.
I'm envious that you've actually managed to not mess the paper up...I totally flopped out
Original post by mgill17
Usually for this module 80 marks is close to the A/B boundary. I averaged the marks you needed for an A since Jan10 and it was 77 for Chem4. Obviously you have to consider fluctuations but considering that this paper was literally trash I'd say you're safe.
I'm envious that you've actually managed to not mess the paper up...I totally flopped out

Honestly, I feel like this paper was an absolute monstrosity and a lot of other people found the same so don't worry, hopefully you will have done better than you think!!
I'm just very p****d off about the silly 1 markers. I was so chuffed about getting question 9 right and then I hear people compare answers for the 1 marker questions and its like greaaaattt
how do aqa calculate grade boundaries? are they set or are they based on how candidates do?
Original post by logicmaryam
oops typo! will change it now

For the c6h14o2 questionWould this method be wrong
118 * 61% = 72 (carbon)
72/12 = 6 carbons

118 * 11.9% = 14 (hydrogen)
14/1= 14 Hydrogens

118 * 27.1% = 36 (oxygen)
36/16 = 2 oxygen
Honestly, I feel like this paper was an absolute monstrosity and a lot of other people found the same so don't worry, hopefully you will have done better than you think!!
I'm just very p****d off about the silly 1 markers. I was so chuffed about getting question 9 right and then I hear people compare answers for the 1 marker questions and its like greaaaattt

I'm hoping some miracle has happened and I get a B so I can at least try and get an A in Chem5 then hopefully overall. Wishful thinking though.
I do awfully under exam pressure and I think some of the difficult parts threw me off and make me sort of forget the little bits for the one markers, like I didnt put dilute NaOH and I know that mark has gone...
and I didn't even come close with question 9...I'll be lucky to get 3/9 on the last bit...structure determination is literally the worst thing AQA have ever done and I am personally offended.
Original post by mgill17
I'm hoping some miracle has happened and I get a B so I can at least try and get an A in Chem5 then hopefully overall. Wishful thinking though.
I do awfully under exam pressure and I think some of the difficult parts threw me off and make me sort of forget the little bits for the one markers, like I didnt put dilute NaOH and I know that mark has gone...
and I didn't even come close with question 9...I'll be lucky to get 3/9 on the last bit...structure determination is literally the worst thing AQA have ever done and I am personally offended.

OMG i was going to put dilute NaOH but I didn't!! Whyyyy :frown: ugh it's so annoying, I think by the end of the paper everyone was just so stressed out that they couldn't perform their best. I really hope chem5 is good or I honestly don't know what I'll do
OMG i was going to put dilute NaOH but I didn't!! Whyyyy :frown: ugh it's so annoying, I think by the end of the paper everyone was just so stressed out that they couldn't perform their best. I really hope chem5 is good or I honestly don't know what I'll do

I think I knew it was going to be bad when I turned straight to the back and saw the splitting patterns table. I don't agree with one or two exams deciding your entire performance in a subject anyway, it's so silly.

And same. CHEM4 was supposed to be my savior but now I actually have to try and pretend I can do emf questions
Original post by mgill17
I think I knew it was going to be bad when I turned straight to the back and saw the splitting patterns table. I don't agree with one or two exams deciding your entire performance in a subject anyway, it's so silly.

And same. CHEM4 was supposed to be my savior but now I actually have to try and pretend I can do emf questions

it's ridiculous I know. Someone could be getting A's in all of the mocks, and then on the real exam they could be having a bad day and then end up with a C :frown: It's awful that our future is basically in the hands of AQA. Haha, oh god don't even, a miracle needs to happen in chem5
Did anyone manage to do that question about ethanal and ethane-1,2-diol? Can't remember the exact question
Original post by Dmatb567
For the c6h14o2 questionWould this method be wrong
118 * 61% = 72 (carbon)
72/12 = 6 carbons

118 * 11.9% = 14 (hydrogen)
14/1= 14 Hydrogens

118 * 27.1% = 36 (oxygen)
36/16 = 2 oxygen

thats exactly what i did, it works just fine, hopefully its counted
I swear that this happens every year when everyone panics at how difficult a paper was and then they end up getting As.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's ridiculous I know. Someone could be getting A's in all of the mocks, and then on the real exam they could be having a bad day and then end up with a C :frown: It's awful that our future is basically in the hands of AQA. Haha, oh god don't even, a miracle needs to happen in chem5

I am literally that someone. Chemistry was set to be my best subject as well and I know I've not got an A 100%.
If CHEM5 is this atrocious then I'm going to probably be begging the university to let me in. I'm terrified now.
Original post by Claudiamoon98
That's what I put, but then again I'm not a chem wizard

I said the rate equation is not affected by concentration linked to K. So I said - the rate equation will not change ... I am the one who got it wrong.
Bye medicine lol RIP
Did anyone get 116 for the Mr of the abundant peak?
Original post by Azzer11
I swear that this happens every year when everyone panics at how difficult a paper was and then they end up getting As.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, people usually always do a little bit, but honestly comparing all the papers side by side this WAS the hardest yet... And over the past 3 days I have done nearly all the past papers.
Questions were often repeated from previous year and the general structure was nearly the same on every paper. This wasn't the case this year. It seems like this year they went that extra step to make every questions just that little bit tougher.. They even managed to make rates of reaction equations and tables (which has been the easiest question in all the past papers) quite challenging. What's more, they put in a ton of 'suggest/explain' questions which took some thinking outside of simply recalling facts from the spec. This tripped a lot of people up.

This was the first chem4 paper where I actually struggled for time. Even the simple 1 markers took more thought and time than any 1 markers previously set. I don't know what AQA were thinking but it seems like they thought it would be a great idea to completely change the design of the paper for the last year of the spec. Hooray.
Has anyone done a full unofficial mark scheme? That paper was awful!!!! :frown::angry:
I think the new structure and questions style is supposed to ape the new specification, which is ridiculous because we're not doing the new spec.

Quick Reply

Latest