The Student Room Group

Wjec ch4 2016

Scroll to see replies

I actually withdrew my university application after that exam i'm not joking. All I needed was a B in chemistry but nope no WJEC couldn't do that and this is the last exam before the new syllabus. Which means no more resist. And this is my first time doing a level.
For me to get a B now in chemistry i'd have to probably get A in chem1 A in Chem2 A* in chem3 probably a D in Chem 4 and maybe a B in chem 5 and A* in Chem6 and maybe I might scrape a B. But that's not going to happen I know for sure I don't even have enough for my insurance.
I'm actually complaining because that was horrendous the point of an exam is to test us on A level's syllabus they tested us on maybe 20% of all.
Teach us how to add subtract times and divide then test us on addition only that means 3/4 they don't know if we're capable of it so it's an a level on a 1/4 of the course.
Original post by wwwwwwwwwwwf
I ran out of time before finishing the last question on why the yield was low, but my first reason was to do with the fact it was a two step reaction ~ so losses will be more or something like that

God yes the two step process sounds right, wish I'd put that
Annoying how small they spaces they gave you to write in for disproving the statements were
Was unsure how to answer the 7 marker too, so I think i just put conditions/reaction type/reactants and then I did the mechanism (including the making of the CH3+ electrophile for CH3Cl)
I'm pretty sure the question said to Put reactants/reaction type/ conditions + 'describe the mechanism' (correct me if im wrong), so not 100% on whether i was supposed to write out the mechanism, but whatever

I drew out the mechanism because I didn't know how to describe it?! Then I just added on about how it attacked the electron rich benzene ring and about how the halogen carrier has been reformed, not sure if I needed more ahaha
Original post by Chemistry Master
I actually withdrew my university application after that exam i'm not joking. All I needed was a B in chemistry but nope no WJEC couldn't do that and this is the last exam before the new syllabus. Which means no more resist. And this is my first time doing a level.
For me to get a B now in chemistry i'd have to probably get A in chem1 A in Chem2 A* in chem3 probably a D in Chem 4 and maybe a B in chem 5 and A* in Chem6 and maybe I might scrape a B. But that's not going to happen I know for sure I don't even have enough for my insurance.
I'm actually complaining because that was horrendous the point of an exam is to test us on A level's syllabus they tested us on maybe 20% of all.
Teach us how to add subtract times and divide then test us on addition only that means 3/4 they don't know if we're capable of it so it's an a level on a 1/4 of the course.

The AS is on the new syllabus already and I resat the old syllabus for ch2 this year. You can still resit old syllabus ch4 next year, it's called a 'legacy paper' instead.
Reply 85
Annoying how small they spaces they gave you to write in for disproving the statements were

Threw me off a bit that the first one had two QWC marks, but none of the others did?? Also what did you talk about for the last one about the alpha amino acids?
Original post by sumeyyatontus
I drew out the mechanism because I didn't know how to describe it?! Then I just added on about how it attacked the electron rich benzene ring and about how the halogen carrier has been reformed

ya that's what i said/did apart from the bit about it attacking the electron rich bezene ring
Original post by Mango88
Also what did you talk about for the last one about the alpha amino acids?

Remind me what the question was
Anyone wanna make a prediction on the grade boundary for an A??
Remind me what the question was

It was about why they have higher melting/boiling temperatures than expected. I wrote about how they form zwitterions and bond with ionic bonding which is stronger than hydrogen bonding and van der waals
It was about why they have higher melting/boiling temperatures than expected. I wrote about how they form zwitterions and bond with ionic bonding which is stronger than hydrogen bonding and van der waals

That was part of question 3?

I remember the last question being on why they were soluble in water mmm
(edited 7 years ago)

I said the same excellent. Annoyingly I must have misread the mechanism question, I didn't describe the mechanism at all, I just drew it out. Very annoying.
That was part of question 3?

I remember the last question being on why they were soluble in water mmm

Wasn't that about glucose / sucrose / fructose?
Wasn't that about glucose / sucrose / fructose?

Yeah, I just can't remember being asked a question on the boiling points of amino acids
Yeah, I just can't remember being asked a question on the boiling points of amino acids

It was the last part of question 2 :smile:
The AS is on the new syllabus already and I resat the old syllabus for ch2 this year. You can still resit old syllabus ch4 next year, it's called a 'legacy paper' instead.

I've already had to resit my AS once because I was betrayed buy my school I was literally teaching myself AS chemistry my teacher was as good as a monkey teaching AS chemistry
Was unsure how to answer the 7 marker too, so I think i just put conditions/reaction type/reactants and then I did the mechanism (including the making of the CH3+ electrophile for CH3Cl)
I'm pretty sure the question said to Put reactants/reaction type/ conditions + 'describe the mechanism' (correct me if im wrong), so not 100% on whether i was supposed to write out the mechanism, but whatever

Ch3Cl would give you chlorobenzene not methyl benzene.
Original post by Chemistry Master
Ch3Cl would give you chlorobenzene not methyl benzene.

Na it gives you methyl bezene

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/elsub/fcalkyl.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone remember what the questions for question 4 were (apart from the NMR and mass spec bits)
the paper was written by a 6 year old. all the questions were terribly written.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending