The Student Room Group

Owen Jones embarrasses himself on Sky News debate about Orlando

Scroll to see replies

a hard lefty throwing a hissy fit? lol stop the presses
Don't understand what this argument is about. Both Jones and the presenters seemed to be agreeing with one another, despite any shouting.
Original post by JohnGreek
No, sweethearts, I think that the selection of the venue, and the attacker's previous comments to his father and his coworkers, make it clear that this was specifically an attack on a particular subset of society that disgusted him. It may also happen to be an attack on the freedom to enjoy yourself/humanity/the West, but, at its core, this was a homophobic attack.

The Paris attack was also an attack on a particular subset of society: people who like to drink and listen to music, which is forbidden by Islam just like homosexuality. More broadly, both attacks were against elements of Western culture as it diverges from Islamic culture; both attackers chose the most Western-y venues they could to attack.

Now one can make the argument that an attack on homosexuals is more bad than an attack on concert goers because homosexuals are more important or something like that, which the presenters weren't willing to agree with, but Jones explicitly denied that he was making that argument. So where was the disagreement?

edit: My sense is that Jones wanted the presenters to spontaneously state that an attack on homosexuals is worse than an attack on concert goers, but wasn't willing to explicitly say so himself, and he got frustrated and stormed out because they weren't saying what he wanted and he wasn't willing to openly demand that they should. Just a guess though and I might be wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
All I gathered from this is that he's an unprofessional crying p*ss baby. But I can't help feel sorry for him, I would also feel guilty if I'd spent my life covering for the ideology that just killed 50 LGBT people.
Reply 24
>Says an attack on gays is an attack on people
>gays are people too
>owen gets pissed

does he not think gays are people too?

>She says the attacker is a lunatic
>Owen gets pissy
>She shuts him down

So the attacker was a rational thoughtful human bean. what are you trying to say Owen?
Reply 25
Original post by JohnGreek
You gottta love the other two presenters about how adamant they were that this wasn't an attack on LGBT people (rather, it was an attack against the "freedom to enjoy yourself?" Hmm. )

No, sweethearts, I think that the selection of the venue, and the attacker's previous comments to his father and his coworkers, make it clear that this was specifically an attack on a particular subset of society that disgusted him. It may also happen to be an attack on the freedom to enjoy yourself/humanity/the West, but, at its core, this was a homophobic attack.

I genuinely don't know why anyone would try to deny this any more. Accept it and move onto tackling the underlying problems.

I completely agree, they were a bit deluded, at one point it's like she was almost suggesting that the fact it was a gay nightclub was a coincidence and not specifically targeted, which is laughable really. I don't think he was trying to suggest it was worse than the Bataclan or compare tragedies, but he did want them to recognise the homophobic and hate element to the attack as well as the terror element, which they appeared to downplay.

I don't blame him for getting upset in the circumstances and I watched some his videos last week and I respect and like the guy a lot, but I do think he could have handled it a bit better if I'm honest.
(edited 7 years ago)
i think he raised good points, better than the hosts. he did a good job
If an attack was carried out in a black church, no one would it wasn't racist. If an attack was carried out on a synangogue no one would say it wasn't anti-Semitic. Yet when an attack is carried out on a gay bar by a homophobe, apparently that's not homophobic....
Just a thought from me but are we certain that the attack had a homophobic incentive? Yes, I know it seems blatantly obvious as he attacked a LGBT nightclub but technically we're still making assumptions. Personally, I don't see how it is offensive how it's labelled as an 'attack on the west' as well as an attack on the LGBT community, it affects both groups of people so I'm perplexed on why he was so furious. I may be mislead and if so, please explain why.
Reply 29
Owen 'the cuck' Jones
Original post by epage
He didn't 'embarrass himself' he stood up for what he believed in and said what every member of the LGBT community was thinking.

Eh, he did embarrass himself with things like the snide remark at the end (something about them finally listening to an LGBT voice) which generally made it sound like he thought you couldn't have an opinion on the attack unless you were LGBT - which is obviously nonsense, I'm not French, American or Jewish, but I can certainly think Paris, 9/11 and the holocaust were horrific.

The other pundits were poor, but Jones really didn't help himself at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Noodle0
All I gathered from this is that he's an unprofessional crying p*ss baby. But I can't help feel sorry for him, I would also feel guilty if I'd spent my life covering for the ideology that just killed 50 LGBT people.

Last time I checked, it was a grown lunatic that killed 50 LGBT people.
Reply 32
Original post by Bornblue
If an attack was carried out in a black church, no one would it wasn't racist. If an attack was carried out on a synangogue no one would say it wasn't anti-Semitic. Yet when an attack is carried out on a gay bar by a homophobe, apparently that's not homophobic....

Nobody said it wasn't homophobic it was but it is a lot broader than just a homophobic attack and that can not be ignored
Original post by Lujubi
Last time I checked, it was a grown lunatic that killed 50 LGBT people.

A grown lunatic who'd pledged his allegiance to a group exposing the extremist ideology they're talking about. If it were just one unhinged person with no real affiliations fair enough, but once they've pledged their support to a terrorist group, claiming it had nothing to do with their ideology makes no sense.

Did he attack LGBT people specifically because he was just coincidentally a homophobe as well or because he subscribed to an ideology and a group that is homophobic? Who can tell. Did he commit an attack in general because he subscribed to an ideology and a group that is promoting such behaviour? Almost certainly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by difeo
Acting like a petulant child

[video="youtube;TEgd9q8ugs4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEgd9q8ugs4[/video]

Thoughts?

Anyone who watches press preview knows he's a bell of the highest order anyway. Maybe he should concentrate on why the shooter, who was also a member of the LGBTQTUDKSBFLWI community felt ostracised himself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
A grown lunatic who'd pledged his allegiance to a group exposing the extremist ideology they're talking about. If it were just one unhinged person with no real affiliations fair enough, but once they've pledged their support to a terrorist group, claiming it had nothing to do with their ideology makes no sense.

Did he attack LGBT people specifically because he was just coincidentally a homophobe as well or because he subscribed to an ideology and a group that is homophobic? Who can tell. Did he commit an attack in general because he subscribed to an ideology and a group that is promoting such behaviour? Almost certainly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was gay himself, so I'm 100% sure he was no ISIS supporter, nor were they a supporter of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noodle0

The shooter wasn't a practising muslim.
Original post by Zayn is Bae
He was gay himself, so I'm 100% sure he was no ISIS supporter, nor were they a supporter of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He'd called the police during the attack and told them he was a supporter of IS, so you'd be wrong there.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
He'd called the police during the attack and told them he was a supporter of IS, so you'd be wrong there.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen/

Posted from TSR Mobile

The guy was mentally unstable, he's likely said that just to try and act important, so it looks like he's done something "meaningful" as it were. Considering Daesh push people off buildings for being gay, how could himself, a gay man, be a supporter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ODES_PDES
Spoilt posh kid

Did you just call one of the most prominent leftist columnists.. a POSH KID....

With all due respect, get educated.

Quick Reply