The Student Room Group

Abattoirs that offer work experience?

Particularly for experience prior to vet school - can anybody here recommend somewhere that does?

Midlands (Staffs) would be perfect, but I'm willing to travel if needed. Any ideas would be great :smile:
Why cant you just do some research. Get a standard letter about who you are, what you are looking for etc and then just contact the ones in Staffordshire?
Beesons, Bickertons and Sergeant came up .
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/abattoir+staffordshire/@52.9619792,-2.3822329,11z
Afraid you are going to have to do the spadework.

If you arent sure then do google the names as they might be in the news for the wrong reasons.

Theres also a complete list from the Food Standards Agency that you might find useful.
http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/sectorrules/meatplantsprems/meatpremlicence
Ouch... no need for that.

I've done the back work, but most abattoirs seem to say that they used to take work experience, but aren't able to any more. One particularly large abattoir told me students are very lucky to find a placement these days.

I'm only curious as to whether somebody knows of one (in Staffs or otherwise) that can take people prior to their application to vet school :smile:
No need for what? If you want to find information then its not always readily available so like everyone else you have to do the spadework. There are only a limited number of abbatoirs in Staffordshire and if none of those are suitable then you will just have to extend your search to neighbouring counties. Its what I would do. Alternatively id look at contacting one of the trade organisations.
I'm aware of that, hence I'm doing the spadework... I've sourced every other placement, and I'm still working on the abattoir. I was simply asking in case anybody here had any recommendation of places to try. If not, that's not a problem. I've seen other people ask about placements in different areas, so I figured it was okay to do so.

You have my apologies.
Abattoirs are really difficult as they don't normally allow students who are not already vet students in, due to health and safety and other reasons.

Before I went to vet school I did find one that was willing to take me but I had to do a hell of a lot of googling, I think it was around Manchester but I can't be 100% sure and I can't remember the name of it. I just googled loads and asked them all and only that one got back to me and were willing to let me in, this was however 10 years ago now, and things have changed a lot since.

You're probably better off finding some lab experience, yes abattoirs look nice and fancy on your application it's not essential that you go to one,and due to the fact they're so difficult to get into you won't be penalised for not having work experience in one.

Just be prepared to do a lot of emailing, and have a lot of 'no sorry's' as a response :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
Abattoirs are really difficult as they don't normally allow students who are not already vet students in, due to health and safety and other reasons.

Before I went to vet school I did find one that was willing to take me but I had to do a hell of a lot of googling, I think it was around Manchester but I can't be 100% sure and I can't remember the name of it. I just googled loads and asked them all and only that one got back to me and were willing to let me in, this was however 10 years ago now, and things have changed a lot since.

You're probably better off finding some lab experience, yes abattoirs look nice and fancy on your application it's not essential that you go to one,and due to the fact they're so difficult to get into you won't be penalised for not having work experience in one.

Just be prepared to do a lot of emailing, and have a lot of 'no sorry's' as a response :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Lizzie, much appreciated :smile: The frustrating bit is that a number of them have said they used to, but can't any more due to various legislation. I'll keep firing emails and ringing around, I'll bear the lab in mind if I don't find any joy.
Original post by seize_the_day
Thanks Lizzie, much appreciated :smile: The frustrating bit is that a number of them have said they used to, but can't any more due to various legislation. I'll keep firing emails and ringing around, I'll bear the lab in mind if I don't find any joy.

A lot of it is due to health and safety, and they aren't the prettiest of places to visit and it's always a risk letting someone from outside in as if you don't understand the process/are really against it at the end of the day if you were to say anything in public it's their business on the line, but as a prospective applicant you would be unlikely to do that, but they have to be careful. I hope you do find one that will take you as they give you a good understanding of what happens to farm animals at the end of their lives which is something that is quite important for a vet student

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
A lot of it is due to health and safety, and they aren't the prettiest of places to visit and it's always a risk letting someone from outside in as if you don't understand the process/are really against it at the end of the day if you were to say anything in public it's their business on the line, but as a prospective applicant you would be unlikely to do that, but they have to be careful. I hope you do find one that will take you as they give you a good understanding of what happens to farm animals at the end of their lives which is something that is quite important for a vet student

Yes, that's understandable... I figured it would be a difficult one to find. I agree it's a sphere which is invaluable to have some form of understanding, so fingers crossed. I'll keep looking! :smile:
Particularly for experience prior to vet school - can anybody here recommend somewhere that does?

Midlands (Staffs) would be perfect, but I'm willing to travel if needed. Any ideas would be great :smile:

I know someone who got work experience at an abattoir, also for a vet school application. The abattoir they went to was in Warwickshire though, still in the Midlands.

I don't actually know the name of it, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it if you google abattoirs in Warwickshire.
Original post by Peppercrunch
I know someone who got work experience at an abattoir, also for a vet school application. The abattoir they went to was in Warwickshire though, still in the Midlands.

I don't actually know the name of it, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it if you google abattoirs in Warwickshire.

Thanks very much for that, Peppercrunch! I'll get googling, Warwickshire isn't too far at all :smile:
I'm aware of that, hence I'm doing the spadework... I've sourced every other placement, and I'm still working on the abattoir. I was simply asking in case anybody here had any recommendation of places to try. If not, that's not a problem. I've seen other people ask about placements in different areas, so I figured it was okay to do so.

You have my apologies.

You mistake my point.

Sometimes places are hard to get into, so you have to examine whether your search is the most effective it could be. that means networking and speaking to the right people, who can offer you what you want. What you cnat get through the front door you might get if you have a contact as whether or not they cna be bothered to give you experience is at their discretion. You need to be able to make a pitch, showing its worthwile for them to take the time to give you experience. You should just be asking for experience straight off.

Try trade bodies like
British Meat Processors Association12 Cock LaneLondon, EC1A 9BU
Contact UsTel: 020 7329 0776Fax: 020 7329 [email protected]

Association of Independent Meat Suppliers
Louise Green Admin Office Address: PO Box 125 Northallerton DL6 2YG UKPhone: 01609 761547

Alternatively the abbatoris might be members of:Staffordshire Chambers of Commerce
Commerce House,
Festival Park,
Stoke On Trent,
ST1 5BETel: 01782 202222 Food Standards Agency who will monitor and deal with eforcement of standards in abbatoirs.Helpline: general enquiriesMonday to Friday 9.30-16.00
tel: 020 7276 8829
email: [email protected]

Meat Training CouncilContact
Mary Fisher
Tel: 01525 371641

Address: PO Box 6404, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 6DX
These are all organisations who have something to do with meat and animal welfare somewhere along the line. If they cant directly help, they may know someone who can. You just have to think a little wider and if you wnat to open doors, then make sure your pitch is well researched and targeted at the right people. Dont make it easy for them to say no, try and make it easy for them to say possibly or yes.

So far from telling you off as you seem ro think I'm trying to show you how you go about trying to identify and then make progress in getting experience. It isnt always available, in which case you are looking at finding the person who has the power to say yes.
This might be a bit late if you needed it this year, but I went on the RVC farm vet taster week in Wales, they also do a similar program somewhere in England but I can't remember where. During that week we visited many farms and farm-related businesses, including an abattoir. This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it certainly was very helpful as there was plenty of 'exposure' in the week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending