The Student Room Group

6th and 14th June 2016 - AQA GCSE History B *Official Exam Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by akash3141
5, I think.
2 for why the bombing was a failure, so it couldn't destroy Ho Chi Minh trail, factories flattened but economy depended on farming. Second was about losing hearts + minds which was a US tactic.

The next two was what other reasons contributed, so strengths of VC + media and protests in USA..

Final was a conclusion and I briefly talked about some other factor to conclude that it wasn't the main factor..

I talked about Hearts&Minds and guerrilla tactics as my two other paragraphs on other factors.

That exam has taught me not to rely on prediction - especially in the Leninist Russia section, I got all my predictions wrong and all the topics from last year came up again! It wasn't too hard overall, but the individual questions were quite narrow-focused and quite trickily worded. Grade boundaries will be quite low, I think.
Reply 121
Original post by F0X
I talked about Hearts&Minds and guerrilla tactics as my two other paragraphs on other factors.

That exam has taught me not to rely on prediction - especially in the Leninist Russia section, I got all my predictions wrong and all the topics from last year came up again! It wasn't too hard overall, but the individual questions were quite narrow-focused and quite trickily worded. Grade boundaries will be quite low, I think.

Doubt that mate. Last year it was 57 for an A*, and I think that they will increase it slightly to 59!
Reply 122
Original post by Akila1
Doubt that mate. Last year it was 57 for an A*, and I think that they will increase it slightly to 59!

57 out of what? And does this include coursework?
Original post by F0X
57 out of what? And does this include coursework?

it cant include coursework.
each section is worth 20 marks.
in unit 2, 9 marks are available for SPaG.

60 marks possible for Unit 1.
69 for Unit 2.
about 40 for coursework? Idk about that.
Reply 124
Original post by ValVettore

69 for Unit 2.

I think it will be 50/60 in unit 1 for an A*
And 59/69 in unit 2 for an A*
And coursework is always 36/40
Reply 125
Just thinking back what was the topic 3 four marker again for paper 1
Reply 126

69 for Unit 2.

Oh right. In general the A* mark for the overall qualification (papers 1, 2 and coursework) has been around 75-85% for the past few years I think.

Original post by bpn365

You mean the Hitler topic? It was "describe what Hitler did after the invasion of Czechoslovakia and before the start of WWII" (aka, Nazi-Soviet Pact and invasion of Poland).
Original post by bpn365

What happened after the collapse of Czechoslovakia?
What happened after the collapse of Czechoslovakia?

The Nazi-Soviet Pact

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dexterminate
The Nazi-Soviet Pact

Posted from TSR Mobile

But first Memel and the British-French agreement to defend Poland.
NOOo, are you being serious??
I was thinking that my topics in this year's exam were harder than the 2015 paper.. Why do you say they are higher for A* ??
How did everyone do?
Original post by surina16
How did everyone do?

I got an A* even if I got the lowest mark (180 UMS) but am so happy because I was predicted an A throughout the whole of year 10 and 11 and I never thought I would get an A* :smile:

I got:
- 85 UMS (A*) on the International Relationships & USA exam (62/81 raw marks)
- 49 UMS (A) on the Britain 1890-1918 exam (31/53 raw marks)
- 46 UMS (A*) on the Controlled Assessment, Germany (45/50 raw marks) although everyone I think in my year got moderated down by 3 raw marks

So overall I am delighted and quite shocked :smile:

How did you do? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by surina16
How did everyone do?

Sooo gutted. I tried so hard and it's my favorite subject! Got an A* in Unit 1 and B in Unit 2. This gave me an overall A. Our teachers are finding it really weird as quite a few students were actually predicted A*s in this subject yet apparently nobody even got higher than this grade in our school.

The reality still hasn't sunk in tbh because I genuinely thought paper 2 was pretty good :/ Anyways, I'm quite reluctant to send it back for a remark as I don't want to risk obtaining a B in the subject.

Meh I'll just accept it and hopefully try harder at A-level.
How did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by history fanatic
Sooo gutted. I tried so hard and it's my favorite subject! Got an A* in Unit 1 and B in Unit 2. This gave me an overall A. Our teachers are finding it really weird as quite a few students were actually predicted A*s in this subject yet apparently nobody even got higher than this grade in our school.

The reality still hasn't sunk in tbh because I genuinely thought paper 2 was pretty good :/ Anyways, I'm quite reluctant to send it back for a remark as I don't want to risk obtaining a B in the subject.

Meh I'll just accept it and hopefully try harder at A-level.
How did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same for Paper 2! I was really happy about it after I finished the test. Definitely thought I did better. I'm not doing History for A-Levels, I just enjoyed it at GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi, what where the questions for topic 4 and 2
what were the questions?
can someone tell us the questions?

Quick Reply

Latest