The Student Room Group

Latest You Gov poll shows 7% majority for Leave

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
The scaremongering is absolutely on both sides.

But I'll give you that the Remain campaign has been pathetic.

And aside from immigration, I also think a lot of people are fed up with the "Establishment" which they see as parroting an elitist Remain party line.

I would just say, be VERY careful what you wish for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is another thing that bugs me, the only reply the leave campaign has to economic warnings is 'OMG STOP SCAREMONGERING!!!' - it's a convenient way of avoiding the realistic truth and need to address a backed up argument with substance
Looks like we are going to be *BREAKING* out of this union.
Original post by jneill

I would just say, be VERY careful what you wish for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am very anxious that we leave, as you may have noticed, but I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. This is FAR from over.

If these poll leads continue sterling will fall through the floor. It is a given.

As a trader I can see the opportunity myself. Sterling will be a screaming short. A one way trade that comes along once in a blue moon.

Cameron and all the Remain side will scream blue murder and no-one will realise that it is just a temporary trading phenomenon. If we actually leave all those shorts will cover to take their profits and sterling will correct in reasonably short order.

It depends on how Brexit voters react to a run on the pound.. Something many of them won't have seen before.

They might realise that it is a temporary situation, with no long term impact on the real economy, with currency speculators gorging on the sort of opportunity that they live for, or they might freak.

I think it is most likely they will freak, sadly. :frown:
Original post by Proximo
This is another thing that bugs me, the only reply the leave campaign has to economic warnings is 'OMG STOP SCAREMONGERING!!!' - it's a convenient way of avoiding the realistic truth and need to address a backed up argument with substance

The trouble is it's working.
Reply 224
Finally! the UK public have woken up
I've applied for an Irish passport. I'm ready if we leave :smile:
Reply 226
very satisfying watching the remainers resort to insults and snide remarks, you can sense how nervous they're getting
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Even if we don't vote to leave, I hope the number who voted Leave is sufficient to cause a bit of a shake-up. There's nothing I like less than our current government.

Especially since the Conservatives scrapped maintenance grants and plan to increase tuition fees past £9k per year!

Back on topic, I believe that the government want us to remain in the EU, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there would be "vote rigging" if the majority was leave. But even so, I won't be at all surprised if we do actually leave the EU.
Original post by wewlad
very satisfying watching the remainers resort to insults and snide remarks, you can sense how nervous they're getting

Wowee, didn't realize that this was happening :eek:

I think that the Remainers are severely panicking because an awful lot of people are probably going to vote leave!
Original post by jneill
The trouble is it's working.

Yes it is.

Because Cameron and Osborne know no one believes or trusts THEM they had to base the campaign on a logical fallacy. The appeal to authority.

The problem is that no-one trusts or believes Christine Lagarde, or Mark Carney or the Archbishop of Canterbury either. Even the sainted IFS got short shrift when it was revealed they were working for the Yankee (or rather EU) Dollar.

Bit of a bummer really. :biggrin:

Still we await Jean Claude's vaunted intervention next week. That should be something.

The most hated and despised man in Europe coming to the palace gates to appease the angry, starving, mob

"Let them eat cake!"

Original post by generallee
Yes it is.
"Let them eat cake!"

I was trying to remember who the actual leader of the Remain campaign is. Couldn't for the life of me recall it... a bit of googling reminds me: Stuart Rose. Who? Exactly... (ex M&S boss).

Even he doesn't know who he is: (via The Guardian) "he gave an interview in which he got the name of the Britain Stronger in Europe campaign wrong several times, saying: “I’m chairman of Stay in Britain Better in Britain campaign right start again. I’m Stuart Rose and I’m the chairman of the Better in Britain campaign the Better stay in Britain campaign.”"

Unsurprisingly shortly after he was put into a behind-the-scenes role.

FFS
Reply 231
Original post by generallee
Yes it is.

Because Cameron and Osborne know no one believes or trusts THEM they had to base the campaign on a logical fallacy. The appeal to authority.

The problem is that no-one trusts or believes Christine Lagarde, or Mark Carney or the Archbishop of Canterbury either. Even the sainted IFS got short shrift when it was revealed they were working for the Yankee (or rather EU) Dollar.

Bit of a bummer really. :biggrin:

Still we await Jean Claude's vaunted intervention next week. That should be something.

The most hated and despised man in Europe coming to the palace gates to appease the angry, starving, mob

"Let them eat cake!"

Wow, doubt you can substantiate that no-one believes Carney. Doubt you know much about him [cue behind the scenes googling :wink:.]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think what I actually said was that survey data shows that racist attitudes are found in the highest concentrations in E. Anglia and some other middle class white rural areas (fact) and that those are also highly associated with UKIP voting (fact).

I don't know why the Right try to hide their racism when they parade it so much, it's crushingly obvious that the immigration debate is a mere dog whistle appeal to racist voters. That's why Farage's supporters hurled abuse at a black woman for daring to ask him what difference to black people in Britain is made by the racist atmosphere created by his constant banging on about immigration.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/14/brexit-farage-racist-backlash-immigration-eu-debate-racism-threat-minorities

Regardless of either of our stances on the EU, do you even live in the East Anglia or are you just making the assumption that we're all UKIP supporters? I have lived in South Essex my entire life and most of our constituencies are and have always been Conservative not UKIP, the UKIP supporters here are still a minority. And the majority of people in the student generation that I know are Labour/Green voters and are very thoroughly on the remain side.
Does anyone else think its ironic that the man that was the butt of jokes for the whole duration of his London Mayoral premiership, for his monkey like antics, is now leading the campaign that currently has persuaded the most people to follow its beliefs? How people forget how the days where his economic policy consisted of rhubarb rubbing and then now belief that he is right in his beliefs that Britain will prosper out of the EU quite frankly astonishes me!
So, Britain leaves the EU, Donald Trump becomes President - where am I supposed to go?!
Original post by Proximo
So, Britain leaves the EU, Donald Trump becomes President - where am I supposed to go?!

Pretty much wherever you want that will allow you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get the feeling that the Orlando event will have a noticeable impact on the referendum result.
Original post by aidenj
Does anyone else think its ironic that the man that was the butt of jokes for the whole duration of his London Mayoral premiership, for his monkey like antics, is now leading the campaign that currently has persuaded the most people to follow its beliefs? How people forget how the days where his economic policy consisted of rhubarb rubbing and then now belief that he is right in his beliefs that Britain will prosper out of the EU quite frankly astonishes me!

Boris Johnson hardly represents the entire Leave campaign, and I doubt many people who want to leave were convinced by him.
Original post by aidenj

The more ironic thing is that you're practically the spokesman for remain: "Boris wants to be PM, don't trust him."

Okay, not really ironic, just funny

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Boris Johnson hardly represents the entire Leave campaign, and I doubt many people who want to leave were convinced by him.

Okay, taking away Boris Johnson from the Blue power couple of the Leave Campaign, we are left with Michael Gove. The man who during his short 4 year tenure as Education Secretary managed to consistently annoy and anger the majority of teachers, which lead to votes of no confidence, of his policies, in all major teaching unions.

From votes of no confidence to persuading millions to vote Brexit , if that doesn't satisfy the definition of ironic nothing will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending