The Student Room Group

Have you ever been fossil hunting?

Hey everyone!

I am in Dorset at the moment on holiday, and my mum and I have been going fossil hunting every day. We have found quite a few fossils so far, mainly ammonites and belemnites!

So I thought I'd ask whether any of you have been fossil hunting! Where did you go, and what did you find, if anything? :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes when I was around 13 I went through a stage where I wanted to be a geologist
Original post by M14B
Yes when I was around 13 I went through a stage where I wanted to be a geologist

I'm still in that stage haha, I'm doing a geology degree :tongue:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hey everyone!

I am in Dorset at the moment on holiday, and my mum and I have been going fossil hunting every day. We have found quite a few fossils so far, mainly ammonites and belemnites!

So I thought I'd ask whether any of you have been fossil hunting! Where did you go, and what did you find, if anything? :h:

I used to do this all the time in my garden but I don't think it counts as I found nothing:biggrin:
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
I used to do this all the time in my garden but I don't think it counts as I found nothing:biggrin:

Aww I used to do that too! I found a golf ball :biggrin:
Aww I used to do that too! I found a golf ball :biggrin:

I always used to find broken pottery etc.:smile:
Hey everyone!

I live in Dorset! and the best place is Lyme regis beach (it has like 127 steps down to it or something) I've found the most amazing fossils, like pyrite-covered immaculate ammonites. Take wellies and a hammer though! (oh and a strong bag!)
the Lower Jurassic rocks and soils exposed in Gloucestershire yielded abundant belemnites and mollusc fossils such as Gryphaea which we called Devil's Toenails.
I like looking for old coins in the ground.
Original post by the bear

I found one of these once on the beach
Hey everyone!

Yes, I went to Clitheroe last year to look for some crinoid fossils in the disused quarry area over there. I returned with crinoid fossils so I was very pleased
Ah that's nice! I found a piece of crinoid stem on Seatown beach while I was on holiday :smile:
Reply 14
Hey everyone!

I've been fossil hunting in Lyme Regis a couple of times, and like you all I found was a few crummy ammonites and belemnites. Crossing my fingers you find a complete plesiosaur soon
Original post by RobML
I've been fossil hunting in Lyme Regis a couple of times, and like you all I found was a few crummy ammonites and belemnites. Crossing my fingers you find a complete plesiosaur soon

Cool, we didn't end up going to Lyme Regis in the end! We didn't manage to find a plesiosaur unfortunately, just the ammonites, belemnites and a piece of crinoid stem :tongue:
I haven't actually gone anywhere with the sole intention of finding fossils for fun but I've gone looking for fossils on several field trips :smile:
My favourite stuff is probably fossil coral. I haven't actually got any samples myself although I have got a very nice Gigantoproductus.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah that's nice! I found a piece of crinoid stem on Seatown beach while I was on holiday :smile:

Just a stem? The pic I posted in the geology society is my crinoid fossils, if you look closely you would be able to see the crinoid stems in the matrix haha
It sounds like we have some members that can really get the geology society buzzing...
Yep, just a bit of a stem! I'll take a look at them now!

Quick Reply

Latest