The Student Room Group

Medicine in Plovdiv Bulgaria or Masaryk Uni Czech Republic?

Poll

Uni you'd reccommend to study medicine Plovdiv Bulgaria or Masary Brno Czech Republic

Hi

I want to study medicine abroad in Europe and can't decide if to go to Bulgaria or to Czech Republic. Two universities that really interest me are Plovdiv Medical University in Bulgaria or Masaryk University in Czech Republic.

I would really appreciate views of prospective students who are in process of applying, current students already studying at these universities and graduates. Which university/country would you recommend and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by Al1786

Those universities are quite obscure. I doubt anyone on TSR would know about them because 1. Not many students on this site have travelled to bulgaria/czech republic to study and 2. Not many bulgarians/czechs use this site.
Maybe find another forum which is more eastern european based or see if you can track someone down on facebook who went to one of those univerisities and ask if they could give you into an insight into what it is like studying there
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply Zakriah.

I have seen many threads on TSR about studying medicine abroad and know a lot of UK students are studying in EU. Those threads tend to be on one country/uni but couldn't find any that discusses why those students chose that particular country/ uni to study at. So I through i'll make a new thread where people can discuss their reasons for studying medicine at either of the above countries.

If anyone considering studying medicine in either Bulgaria or Czech Republic please share your reasons for choosing that country/uni :smile:
Original post by Al1786
Thanks for your reply Zakriah.

I have seen many threads on TSR about studying medicine abroad and know a lot of UK students are studying in EU. Those threads tend to be on one country/uni but couldn't find any that discusses why those students chose that particular country/ uni to study at. So I through i'll make a new thread where people can discuss their reasons for studying medicine at either of the above countries.

If anyone considering studying medicine in either Bulgaria or Czech Republic please share your reasons for choosing that country/uni :smile:

Plovdiv is a corrupt dump while Masaryk is in the world ranked universities. It is a no brainier!
Reply 6
Original post by Cooliomed
Plovdiv is a corrupt dump while Masaryk is in the world ranked universities. It is a no brainier!

What are your reasons behind these assumptions?
Original post by Al1786

Errrr, why would a university need to buy a fake award if it was actually good enough to win a real one?
Original post by Al1786

Any university with a fully referenced "Controversy" section on Wikipedia should really be avoided!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plovdiv_Medical_University
Reply 9
Do you really believe what you read read on Wikipedia? I have spoken to people studying at Plovdiv and they are very happy with the uni & the course.

You are seemed to by mislead by medical doorway as they are mentioned in majority of your posts. The reason they no longer advertise Plovdiv is because they dont get a commission from uni.

Would really appreciate honest opinions why people have chosen one either Czech Republic or Bulgaria.
Original post by Al1786
Do you really believe what you read read on Wikipedia? I have spoken to people studying at Plovdiv and they are very happy with the uni & the course.

You are seemed to by mislead by medical doorway as they are mentioned in majority of your posts. The reason they no longer advertise Plovdiv is because they dont get a commission from uni.

Would really appreciate honest opinions why people have chosen one either Czech Republic or Bulgaria.

Sounds like you are talking your way into going to Plovdiv. No I don't believe everything on Wikipedia but as you will see that section has a lot of references!

So go to Plovdiv if you like but it is your funeral when you try competing with graduates from Charles etc. Where is Plovdiv in the world rankings? Explains why it is so easy to get in lol!
Original post by Al1786

Oh and as well as Medical University Plovdiv not even featuring in the world rankings at all it is also the lowest ranked of the medical universities in Bulgaria!

Enjoy this seat of international renowned academic excellence.

http://www.4icu.org/bg/
Original post by Al1786
Hi

I want to study medicine abroad in Europe and can't decide if to go to Bulgaria or to Czech Republic. Two universities that really interest me are Plovdiv Medical University in Bulgaria or Masaryk University in Czech Republic.

I would really appreciate views of prospective students who are in process of applying, current students already studying at these universities and graduates. Which university/country would you recommend and why?

Hi.
I cannot speak about Bulgaria as I have no experience there.
Masaryk University is a great choice, I have recently completed my studies from there.
In order for you to make an informed choice, its simply down to you doing your research and comparing what you read with what YOU want from an institution.

Masaryk offers great teaching, and a modern campus. It has a good reputation and high rate of graduates getting jobs in UK for example.
Brno city provides all you need - it is not too big, and not too small. Location is great for travel too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Any university with a fully referenced "Controversy" section on Wikipedia should really be avoided!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plovdiv_Medical_University

Does Pleven count as ^ ?
Original post by Last_of_us
Does Pleven count as ^ ?

This relates to Plovdiv. I did have an offer from pleven but off to czech.
Reply 15
Original post by Themissmedic
Hi.
Masaryk University is a great choice, I have recently completed my studies from there.
In order for you to make an informed choice, its simply down to you doing your research and comparing what you read with what YOU want from an institution.

Masaryk offers great teaching, and a modern campus. It has a good reputation and high rate of graduates getting jobs in UK for example.
Brno city provides all you need - it is not too big, and not too small. Location is great for travel too.

Thanks for your reply Themissmedic.

I am very confused as to which uni to choose and worried about making the wrong the choice.

I have done a lot of research and this is what I have found.. Bulgaria has relatively cheap tuition fees and living expenses than Czech Republic. Also it has good weather and a large number of UK students so it wont be too difficult staying in a another country. However, I am concerned that the university is not well known and the quality of teaching may not be good. Also as its a poor country, the hospital & uni facilities may not be good.

Czech republic on the other hand has good reputation and has been offering English courses for a long time now. It has good facilities and great teaching. However, I have read that the course is very intense and students get tested every week, It has a high dropout rate. Very few UK students means so it will be a bit difficult living away from home.
Reply 16
This relates to Plovdiv. I did have an offer from pleven but off to czech.

Which uni you going to Cooliomed and what were your reasons for choosing this uni?
Reply 17
Original post by Themissmedic
Hi.

Also if you dont mind Themissmedic, could you please tell us when you graduated from Masaryk, what are you doing at the moment and if you are working in the UK, how easy was it to find a job and if your started from FY1/2?

Thanks
Original post by Al1786
Thanks for your reply Themissmedic.

I am very confused as to which uni to choose and worried about making the wrong the choice.

I have done a lot of research and this is what I have found.. Bulgaria has relatively cheap tuition fees and living expenses than Czech Republic. Also it has good weather and a large number of UK students so it wont be too difficult staying in a another country. However, I am concerned that the university is not well known and the quality of teaching may not be good. Also as its a poor country, the hospital & uni facilities may not be good.

Czech republic on the other hand has good reputation and has been offering English courses for a long time now. It has good facilities and great teaching. However, I have read that the course is very intense and students get tested every week, It has a high dropout rate. Very few UK students means so it will be a bit difficult living away from home.

I chose Palacky as have a fried there in a senior year. If you want to be taken seriously for a job when you come back why go to a crap university just because it is a little cheaper and there are more UK students there. The reason they admit hundreds a year into Plovdiv is because they just want to make money and if you look around you will find out about he experience of exams there!

Czech Republic is like western Europe so why is living there going to be hard? Do you really want to study abroad and only be surrounded by other british students?

You re choosing a university for your career and your future and your decision now will be life changing. SO think about yourself and what you really want from your future.

My decision was that as I was given the opportunity to study at a world ranked university with amazing education, facilities then i am going to take it and i am prepared for it to be tough. If it was easy, that is a sign the medical education is not up to scratch.

Write or wrong i made the conclusion that Plovdiv is for divs!
Reply 19
What concerns me most about Masaryk university are the reviews from current/previous students who say that the course is really intense and difficult than it should be. I'm not expecting medicine to be an easy subject and am prepared to work hard to fulfil my dream but a pass mark of 70% or even 80% can be quite hard to achieve. Even in the UK, pass mark is not this high.

Latest

Trending

Trending