The Student Room Group

Hedge Fund Internships

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Purely because places like jane street favour pure, academic talent over the type of sales-y, outgoing personalities you'd get on an S&T desk.

1) Higher pay, faster
2) More rigour than you'd get at GS
3) Atmosphere is more 'academic' than GS, but, I'd say GS strats team is about the same as what you'd find at these quant HFs/prop shops
4) More opportunity to take risks
5) A freer mandate than you'd have in banks, where you're subjected to tonnes of regulations
6) Brand name of these quant HFs are top notch within finance, no-one will question your intelligence if you get an FO job at one of these places. Maybe outside of finance, GS might have more cache..

Job stability is pretty shaky anywhere in finance, it's a cyclical business you don't go into for a stable career.

I cba typing up an essay about this on my phone, so I'd urge you to do some googling 'BB vs quant hedge fund' or 'BB vs prop shop' something of the sort, it'll have been discussed before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, do you mind me asking what you are doing currently and how you've learnt so much about the industry?
Original post by mahmoodjr
Hi, do you mind me asking what you are doing currently and how you've learnt so much about the industry?

Yeah I do mind actually

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I do mind actually

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL
Yeah I do mind actually

Posted from TSR Mobile

I realise why you responded in such a crude manner.

I've just checked your profile. You are not even at university yet and your grades are far far below industry standards; you stand no chance of getting any sort of internship yet you seem to be commenting with such certainty, almost as if you've got an insider's insight. A lot of your advice on tsr is ostensibly just to increase your self-esteem .It seems as if most of your knowledge has come from Google.

Work hard on your A-levels to secure a place on a good university course, and then start giving others advice. Your questioning and commenting on the talent of Goldman Sachs traders, but you've yet to succeed in getting a grades in your school exams. When I asked the initial question, I was asking for advice, but you're response showed that you're simply on eof those kids who give 'advice' on these threads without having any industry experience.
Reply 24
Don't know if it counts for much but I ended up getting some experience on the back office side of a HF (IT). Might not be as glamorous as the trading side of things but it was definitely an enjoyable experience.
Original post by scrlk
Don't know if it counts for much but I ended up getting some experience on the back office side of a HF (IT). Might not be as glamorous as the trading side of things but it was definitely an enjoyable experience.

No, its definitely very impressive getting experience at a HF, as very few people have it. How did you get the placement? Does this HF have a formal application or did you simply cold call? It'd be great to hear more on how good you felt the training was etc

Thank you for responding
Reply 26

I've just checked your profile. You are not even at university yet and your grades are far far below industry standards; you stand no chance of getting any sort of internship yet you seem to be commenting with such certainty, almost as if you've got an insider's insight. A lot of your advice on tsr is ostensibly just to increase your self-esteem .It seems as if most of your knowledge has come from Google.

Work hard on your A-levels to secure a place on a good university course, and then start giving others advice. Your questioning and commenting on the talent of Goldman Sachs traders, but you've yet to succeed in getting a grades in your school exams. When I asked the initial question, I was asking for advice, but you're response showed that you're simply on eof those kids who give 'advice' on these threads without having any industry experience.

wtf mate he's going to a top uni are you high

Why does it matter where he got his information from? As long as he's right there's no issue here. If anything it shows great competence that he's learnt so much like this. I can see you trying to be condescending, i think you're the insecure one here

This is exactly why I didn't care to respond.

You've proved you're a complete wankshaft without me doing anything, congrats.

By the way, making a new account to do this makes you look even worse.

Wanted to add something else: this isn't the first time nor the last time some ******* comes on here to exert their insecure dominance towards me - I do not care, nor do I take any sort of solace in your 'sage' wisdom. If you have nothing to contribute in this thread, don't post - simple. If you do, great. But going on a completely unrelated tantrum about how some internet dude is supposedly a fake (despite being a mod and helping people) or the information I give to people is anything less than good, because you feel it's your god given right to **** on others, is frankly sad.

Get a life, and stop taking things so seriously. With this level of ****ing awful attitude, you'll never make it far. Ever.

Go take your nonsensical ramblings and give them to someone who cares, like a shrink maybe.
(edited 7 years ago)

Also, dude.

If you're asking for advice, ask for advice. Don't ceremonially try to make yourself feel better because someone younger than you knows their ****.

And if you really think GS traders are on the same intellectual tier as quants at Jane Street, I"ll have what you're smoking
This is exactly why I didn't care to respond.

You've proved you're a complete wankshaft without me doing anything, congrats.

By the way, making a new account to do this makes you look even worse.

'Without me doing anything'... you can say that again.

If you had decent logic, then you'd realise I made my comments after you avoided the question not he other way round. [at least that way it would make sense to refuse to answer -take a few moments to think it through (Google won't help with common sense)]
'Without me doing anything'... you can say that again.

If you had decent logic, then you'd realise I made my comments after you avoided the question not he other way round. [at least that way it would make sense to refuse to answer -take a few moments to think it through (Google won't help with common sense)]

You're just wasting people's time now, go do something more productive

I avoided it because, either way, you would have been a dick and you've proved my point - so again, congrats.
You're just wasting people's time now, go do something more productive

I avoided it because, either way, you would have been a dick and you've proved my point - so again, congrats.

I responded in the way I did as a consequence of your initial answer. Do you you not have aptitude to understand that. It is a rather simple concept...try Google maybe?
Reply 32
I responded in the way I did as a consequence of your initial answer. Do you you not have aptitude to understand that. It is a rather simple concept...try Google maybe?

just **** off loser

You're behaving like a child.

I'm busy and on my phone, I cannot afford to write out long posts like yours truly all the time. Deferring to 'google' is not a cop out, it's a way of showing that whatever is being asked has been asked 5000000x before. I don't need you or any snarky tool telling me what I can and cannot do.

And if you honestly think the only exposure I have to this industry is google, you need to get a reality check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drogon
just **** off loser

Calm down, you'll understand it with time.

I'll try to break down what I'm saying:when you answered (in a way which indicated you had serious psychological issues as a child), that provoked my harsh verdict on your posts.

Before that you had no way of knowing I would respond in that manner, so you had no reason to to make that comment.

I hope I'm not confusing you.

I feel sorry for the Thread Starter whose had to hear your rubbish. You have in no way answered the question by stating any names but instead regurgitated things which you don't really know about. And for what its worth, there isn't a an overwhelming amount of reliable information suggesting that the pay is better at a quant (not that pay is what should help you decide your career path) or any of the other things you've said on this thread.
Reply 35

I'll try to break down what I'm saying:when you answered (in a way which indicated you had serious psychological issues as a child), that provoked my harsh verdict on your posts.

Before that you had no way of knowing I would respond in that manner, so you had no reason to to make that comment.

I feel sorry for the Thread Starter whose had to hear your rubbish. You have in no way answered the question by stating any names but instead regurgitated things which you don't really know about. And for what its worth, there isn't a an overwhelming amount of reliable information suggesting that the pay is better at a quant (not that pay is what should help you decide your career path) or any of the other things you've said on this thread.

*who's

For someone who acts so self righteous i recommend you take english classes.

Furthermore i can also deduce that your attitude will get you nowhere in life. Sorry to break it to you. Now how about instead of talking **** you go reflect on your pathetic life, loser.

Lol 'yes, I mind' = psychological issues as a child?

Oh, you sound familiar.. I must have spoken to you before.

Alright, I'll have to tell my buddies in quant hedge funds that they're not making much money. Sounds like they clearly don't know anything about being in the industry, nor do they know how much they get paid. But sure, I'll listen to you, a random internet personality that created an account in the past few hours.

Look, I don't care what you have to say. I got elected as a mod for this section of the site to help people: that involves tapping into my network of friends within the industry as well as doing brief research, in order to deliver correct advice. If all of my advice was bullcrap, then, I wouldn't have as many PMs telling me 'x has landed a grad job here, or y landed an internship here or z landed a grad job there; just wanted to say thanks'.

So, sure, if you think what I say is drivel feel free to retort it by giving your own advice based on whatever sources you have at your disposal but don't make a show and dance about it by derailing this thread. So go ahead, help OP, but don't try to fool yourself into thinking that this exchange is helping anyone.

Whatever case you try to bring forward to me will not work, go piss off someone who will feel sorry for themselves after a internet sparring match; I'm not that person.

I'll repeat, in TL;DR form: please waste your time elsewhere, it won't change my attitude nor will it change me offering advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by drogon
*who's

For someone who acts so self righteous i recommend you take english classes.

Furthermore i can also deduce that your attitude will get you nowhere in life. Sorry to break it to you. Now how about instead of talking **** you go reflect on your pathetic life, loser.

I see what you mean. That grammatical error while typing on a forum really does mean I need classes. Perhaps you could suggest an English class (you idiot. at least wait till the next sentence before making an error of your own.)

You just focus on doing your GCSEs and wait till results day you little foetus, before telling me where I'll get in life. I've already achieved everything you might manage in the next 5 years.
Reply 38
I see what you mean. That grammatical error while typing on a forum really does mean I need classes. Perhaps you could suggest an English class (you idiot. at least wait till the next sentence before making an error of your own.)

You just focus on doing your GCSEs and wait till results day you little foetus, before telling me where I'll get in life. I've already achieved everything you might manage in the next 5 years.

lmaoo dont flatter yourself. You've achieved nothing.
Original post by drogon
lmaoo dont flatter yourself. You've achieved nothing.

I wouldn't laugh too hard. If you have to do GCSE resits or rethink which A-levels you should do after year 12, or even go through clearing after sixth form you'll redefine someone who's 'achieved nothing'

BTW, English is spelt with a capital E, just in case you hadn't noticed. you're such an idiot, exactly why are you laughing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending