The Student Room Group

What uni is the best for medicine?

Following choices are UCL, Imperial, Cambridge and Barts and the London.
Based on the-
Teaching:
Facilities:
Student life:
Area:
Transportation (parking?):
Entry requirements:
Reply 1
People will give their own biased opinions without any, or little, knowledge on the other options. Perhaps you should attend the university open days or contact a member of staff to see if you can be shown around the facilities to make a more informed decision.
Original post by Marathi
People will give their own biased opinions without any, or little, knowledge on the other options. Perhaps you should attend the university open days or contact a member of staff to see if you can be shown around the facilities to make a more informed decision.

That's why i posted this thread; to gain different perspectives.
University of the West of England
Reply 4
Original post by funkypineapple
Following choices are UCL, Imperial, Cambridge and Barts and the London.
Based on the-
Teaching:
Facilities:
Student life:
Area:
Transportation (parking?):
Entry requirements:

They're all very good (you probably know that). If you want slight differences, Cambridge UCL and Imperial are widely regarded as being the best of the best, Barts would probably be in the next category.

Cambridge has the best preclinical teaching, however clinical teaching is similar in all of them. Student life is subjective based on whether you think London is the best or not...
Reply 5
Original post by xylas
They're all very good (you probably know that). If you want slight differences, Cambridge UCL and Imperial are widely regarded as being the best of the best, Barts would probably be in the next category.

Cambridge has the best preclinical teaching, however clinical teaching is similar in all of them. Student life is subjective based on whether you think London is the best or not...

If you like lots of lectures on fairly non-clinically-related basic sciences. It's good but not for everyone.

Student life and area will be enormously dependent on what you're used too and what you want. I'd have been overwhelmed by London when I was 19; Cambridge was a bustling metropolis compared with where I grew up, but people from bigger cities can find it small and stifling. Imperial and UCL are in nicer areas of London than BL, but expect to pay £££ for living there. It's worth noting that nearly all Cambridge colleges will provide accommodation for at least 3 years, which is usually a fair bit cheaper than renting privately, which I don't think any of the London unis do. All of them have lots of societies for pretty much any interest you can think of, but obviously there are far more options for nightlife in London.

Regarding transport, I don't think taking a car to any of those places is wise or necessary in pre-clinical years at least. London obviously has excellent public transport links, no matter how much Londoners like to moan about it! At Cambridge you are not allowed a car as an undergraduate - you would have to apply for special permission to keep one anywhere in the city - and it's really not necessary as you can get pretty much everywhere on foot or by bike. For clinicals a car is more useful (and they will allow it!) as placements are up to 60 miles away, but not essential as there is free accommodation at all "out" firms and it's usually possible to arrange a lift-share at the beginning/end of the week.
Reply 6
Original post by Helenia
If you like lots of lectures on fairly non-clinically-related basic sciences. It's good but not for everyone.

It's very good, world-leading even. All of OP's options consist of lots of lectures so this is not a discriminator.
The wiki has a pros and cons page written by current students.

The most obvious difference there is clearly London vs not London. Where do you currently live? Have you visited either city?

Are those going to be your choices? Very BMAT heavy - huge risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending