The Student Room Group

Owen Jones embarrasses himself on Sky News debate about Orlando

Scroll to see replies

Good.
Reply 101
Original post by joecphillips
Dismissing other people's arguments because of their orientation will result in you being yelled at.

Don't see your point. That wasn't her reason, nor is it a good reason to yell at someone anyway.
Original post by xylas
Don't see your point. That wasn't her reason, nor is it a good reason to yell at someone anyway.

Nor is it good to act like a spoilt brat on live television

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Nor is it good to act like a spoilt brat on live television

Call him what you will, I'm interested in the arguments not the way they were said.
Original post by xylas

He had just said it dismissing what they were saying and when they called him out for it he got upset.

If this had happened the other way around and someone had said "you don't understand this because you are gay" people would be outraged
Original post by xylas
Call him what you will, I'm interested in the arguments not the way they were said.

He was intolerant of her opinion when he felt she was intolerant of what had transpired, so at best he's a hypocrite, at worst he's an *******.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If this had happened the other way around and someone had said "you don't understand this because you are gay" people would be outraged

Agree with this. So two faced and hypocritical lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
He had just said it dismissing what they were saying and when they called him out for it he got upset.

What's your point?

He was intolerant of her opinion when he felt she was intolerant of what had transpired, so at best he's a hypocrite, at worst he's an *******.

So you defend her opinion that it's okay to yell at someone in a discussion?
Original post by xylas
What's your point?

If you dismiss someone's view in such a way you should be prepared for people to react like that.

And the sjw's need to get consistent with their outrage.
Reply 109
If you dismiss someone's view in such a way you should be prepared for people to react like that.

And the sjw's need to get consistent with their outrage.

Again, what's your point?
Original post by epage
Okay, most members then.

Where's the stats? Or are you basing this on your own assumptions?
Original post by xylas

I defend her right to yell at someone in a discussion, he didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whats wrong with her calling the attacker a lunatic ?
Original post by wildleaves
Whats wrong with her calling the attacker a lunatic ?

Calling them a lunatic places them in the same bracket as those who are mentally ill. By stating that the person is a lunatic, you are drawing similarities between the attacker and those who are being treated for mental health issues.

It's an insult to those people who have mental disorders that are out of their control. To simply label someone with a term to fit society's view of them is wrong, and clearly demonstrates how incompetent she was.
Original post by pmc:producer
Where's the stats? Or are you basing this on your own assumptions?

I'm basing it on the assumption that all of the following support Owen Jones' and my view on Orlando:

LGBT MP for the SNP

LGBT journalist for the independent

Nicola Sturgeon SNP MP and Leader

LGBT Scottish MP

Wilson Cruz actor who is gay and lost a family member in the shooting

The Independent's view

go to twitter and search 'orlando attack on LGBT' you'll find many LGBT voices and allies also supporting owen jones etc.

do you want more?? because i could find more.
Original post by JohnGreek
You gottta love the other two presenters about how adamant they were that this wasn't an attack on LGBT people (rather, it was an attack against the "freedom to enjoy yourself?" Hmm. )

No, sweethearts, I think that the selection of the venue, and the attacker's previous comments to his father and his coworkers, make it clear that this was specifically an attack on a particular subset of society that disgusted him. It may also happen to be an attack on the freedom to enjoy yourself/humanity/the West, but, at its core, this was a homophobic attack.

I genuinely don't know why anyone would try to deny this any more. Accept it and move onto tackling the underlying problems.

It is unfortunately the fashion of the day for media to describe such massacres as something other than what they are. Such is the paranoia over sensibilities, they place not offending Muslims on a higher pedestal than giving a true account of what happened. This is what society has become - more interested in making sure people are on board with politically correct inoffensive speech than exploring facts and truly understanding what happened. Governments love it as it keeps the masses distracted from the serious issues.
Reply 116
I defend her right to yell at someone in a discussion, he didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What 'right to yell at someone'? Show me where you got this idea from
Original post by epage
I'm basing it on the assumption.

Ah excellent, assumptions always work.
Original post by pmc:producer
Ah excellent, assumptions always work.

Thats all you are taking out of my post when I gave you links to others who shared the same views and opinions as me and Owen Jones and many members of the LGBT community?? i meant to change that first line anyway but you deleted all of my post in your comment because you couldnt think of a better argument than "bleugh ugh this word is wrong u r wrong hahaah"
Personally, I think this is far from embarrassing. It was an emotional time and yes, his emotions probably did take over - but look at the bigger picture. This hate crime has sparked a discussion and may have made many realise that homophobia didn't die with gay marriage begin legalised. The other two presenters acted appallingly and the reason he walked off was because they failed to accept that this was a hate crime targeted at one community. Owen wasn't trying to suggest that this makes it worse than what happened in Paris, for instance. He was merely trying to get them to discuss the issues surrounding the atrocity i.e. homophobia. He didn't embarrass himself, the others did by failing to acknowledge fully what had happened.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending