The Student Room Group

Career Advice options after Beng Mechanical Engineering

Hi guys,
I have recently graduated with a first class(1:1) in mechanical engineering at the University of Portsmouth, the issue is I have not applied for any graduate scheme because I was too busy with my course and I don't have any work experience relevant to Mech engineering , I am tempted by the idea of going for a postgraduate course in Mechanical Engineering but I have been told that it's too broad and it's better to be specific . I was thinking an MSc in Chemical Engineering could be interesting in order to have two different qualifications . I am so confused , I would be very appreciative of any contribution .
Thanks a lot
Original post by Up686371
Hi guys,
I have recently graduated with a first class(1:1) in mechanical engineering at the University of Portsmouth, the issue is I have not applied for any graduate scheme because I was too busy with my course and I don't have any work experience relevant to Mech engineering , I am tempted by the idea of going for a postgraduate course in Mechanical Engineering but I have been told that it's too broad and it's better to be specific . I was thinking an MSc in Chemical Engineering could be interesting in order to have two different qualifications . I am so confused , I would be very appreciative of any contribution .
Thanks a lot

Well what do you want to do career wise? (as in sector not just say engineering aha). unless you want to do chem eng as a career doing a masters isnt going to benefit you that much (yes you need one to get chartered I believe but a fair few companies will pay for you to do a master is needed)

What you need is work experience/a job so apply for jobs in the sector you want to go into, many companies accept graduate engineers without the job they are offering it as a grad scheme
Reply 2
Original post by madmadmax321
Well what do you want to do career wise? (as in sector not just say engineering aha). unless you want to do chem eng as a career doing a masters isnt going to benefit you that much (yes you need one to get chartered I believe but a fair few companies will pay for you to do a master is needed)

What you need is work experience/a job so apply for jobs in the sector you want to go into, many companies accept graduate engineers without the job they are offering it as a grad scheme

Hi,
Preferably I would like to work in the defense or energy industry , however most companies graduate scheme are now closed and will be open by February , that will leave me with a year of inactivity.
Reply 3
Hi,
Preferably I would like to work in the defense or energy industry , however most companies graduate scheme are now closed and will be open by February , that will leave me with a year of inactivity.

I would travel for the year and relax! Go have fun :smile:
Reply 4
Hi guys,
I have recently graduated with a first class(1:1) in mechanical engineering at the University of Portsmouth

Alternatively to the gap year, and having fun, is there any way to stay on at Portsmouth to complete the MEng rather than MSc? It's a much better option for student finance purposes. But I've no idea if that horse has already bolted...

And as the other poster said, there's absolutely no point doing a year of ChemEng if you aren't interested in it as a career path.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys,
Thanks a lot

The job market operates year round; it's not just confined to when the large graduate schemes are open. You can look for jobs now, and then apply to the next graduate intake for next summer, if you are intent on securing a place on a graduate scheme, or you may be happy with where you are.

Quick Reply

Latest