The Student Room Group

Re: Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Tectonic activity & Hazards (2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meganmeganmegan
Hi, The east African Rift Valley is at a constructive plate boundary and the landscapes that are created are normal faults (from seismic extension) and then the fault scarp/horst/graben that come along with faulting. There tends to be some volcanic activity where the plates are splitting but you don't need to mention that. Then, sometimes if the rift valley is near a sea (EAR is) It can become an oceanic rift valley when the sea floods in.

This was useful for me too because it helps me sum it up in my head!
Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much 😀
Reply 141
Original post by Tdkh98
I can send you a draft I have written if that would help you with structure case studies etc ...

Please can you send that to me too?
Reply 142
Really screwed for Unit 4- Tectonic Hazards...if anyone has any notes please please can they send it to me? It will be much appreciated!!!! :s-smilie:

My email is [email protected]
Reply 143
Anyone good some good tips for writing a good evaluation for unit 4 ?
Reply 144
Original post by Tdkh98
I can send you a draft I have written if that would help you with structure case studies etc ...

Hey could you send this to me please cause I need help with my sections! My teacher is awful and hasn't helped prepare anyone and I'm really really stressing 😭😭xx
Does anyone know if we need to describe the plate boundaries at all in the methodology/introduction?
Original post by Lauraaa898
Does anyone know if we need to describe the plate boundaries at all in the methodology/introduction?

I have drawn diagrams in my intro of the plate boundaries and the things that happen at each one. I.e the features, type of lava etc.
Reply 147

How many case studies are you using? and how are you going to fit them all in to time
Original post by meganmeganmegan
I have drawn diagrams in my intro of the plate boundaries and the things that happen at each one. I.e the features, type of lava etc.

I've just done that and it took me 20 minutes. Basically don't have enough time to do it!

I'm thinking of not writing about calderas, normal and reverse faults in my report just so I've got enough time
Original post by JS20
How many case studies are you using? and how are you going to fit them all in to time

Got a case study for each feature. But I don't think I will have enough time
Reply 150
Got a case study for each feature. But I don't think I will have enough time

Asked my teacher and she said try not to remove any case studies there is no chance I can mention 9 with a few diagrams in 50 mins main section part!!!!

Which ones does everyone recommend I remove whilst still having balance?

Extrusive- Mauna Loa, Yellowstone, Soufriere Hills, Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Intrusive- Dartmoor Batholith, Northumbria Sills, Volcanic Plug Edinburgh
Fold- Himalayas
Fault- East Africa Rift Valley
Original post by JS20
Asked my teacher and she said try not to remove any case studies there is no chance I can mention 9 with a few diagrams in 50 mins main section part!!!!

Which ones does everyone recommend I remove whilst still having balance?

Extrusive- Mauna Loa, Yellowstone, Soufriere Hills, Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Intrusive- Dartmoor Batholith, Northumbria Sills, Volcanic Plug Edinburgh
Fold- Himalayas
Fault- East Africa Rift Valley

I'm writing about for extrusive, shield and composite cone volcanoes so Mauna Loa and Mt etna. May write about Deccan traps if I have time
Intrusive- whin sill, isle of Arran and Dartmoor
Seismic - Himalayas, San Andreas and EARV

I'd probably get rid of one that isn't significant so maybe the volcanic plug?? Idk. Just don't have enough time to write anything atm

no we actually don't! this is because the question is solely asking about how these landscapes form, and describing the plate margins doesn't answer the question and it will waste so much of your time, as we only have an hour and a half which is nothing imo as we have to do so much.

however when talking about your landforms/scapes you do have to refer to what plate boundaries they're formed e.g shield volcanoes are formed at divergent margins or fold mountains are formed as a result of collision.

I would advise maybe doing a brief intro of a couple of sentences of what causes tectonic activity, but that's just it!!
hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Zilein
Anyone good some good tips for writing a good evaluation for unit 4 ?

one good way is evaluating your methodology in the conclusion, so if your research process was difficult?, what were the strengths and weaknesses?, one evaluating point could be that finding case studies on volcanic activity is limited. This is because volcanic landscapes form for over long periods of time therefore there aren't many recent case studies, whereas its not the case for seismic. As seismic are much more frequent and can impact the land formation in a matter of seconds this happens along the SA fault as rivers/streams start to offset as a result of tectonic activity, or in china the Sichuan earthquake created over 30
quake lakes.
hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Raisa97
no we actually don't! this is because the question is solely asking about how these landscapes form, and describing the plate margins doesn't answer the question and it will waste so much of your time, as we only have an hour and a half which is nothing imo as we have to do so much.

however when talking about your landforms/scapes you do have to refer to what plate boundaries they're formed e.g shield volcanoes are formed at divergent margins or fold mountains are formed as a result of collision.

I would advise maybe doing a brief intro of a couple of sentences of what causes tectonic activity, but that's just it!!
hope this helps :smile:

thank you so much you're a life saver!!! My geography teacher who teaches this unit said to use the plate boundaries as 'models' to refer back to but then my geography teacher who teaches unit 3 said don't refer to them so we were all like what?! But thank you so much! I've saved around 10 minutes now!
thank you so much you're a life saver!!! My geography teacher who teaches this unit said to use the plate boundaries as 'models' to refer back to but then my geography teacher who teaches unit 3 said don't refer to them so we were all like what?! But thank you so much! I've saved around 10 minutes now!

yeah my teacher said its not necessary, so dw about it, plus on the specification it does not say or clarify that we have to mention them
Original post by Riab8
We were told by teachers to either do it by location or by case study, either way evaluating each point made should get you into top marks?So I've structured mine like this:Intro, methodology, EXTRUSIVE ACTIVITY, VOLCANOES with subheadings Fissure, strato, shield and volcanic arcs and then i move onto INTRUSIVE IGNEOUS ACTIVITY with subheading sills, dykes and batholiths and then finally i do SEISMIC ACTIVITY with the subheadings fold mountains, displacement and EAR. Whilst doing this i compare each one to each other through out, and then in the conclusion i compare them all as a whole whilst stating that there are other contributions to the distinctively landscapes and forms. A range of diagrams are also used through out, I chose to do it by case study as i found it easier to make evaluative points while referring directly back to each type of landscape and the landforms within it. I don't know where to mention location in the conclusion just to help summarise where the most distintive landscapes and forms are concentrated around the world???

I would conclude the locations by naming the actual plates which you have written about in the case study e.g. If you were going to say that San Andres was the most distinctive landscape, quote in your conclusion that the seismic activity of the Pacific and North American plate boundaries can be seen as the most distinctive........ Just a rough idea
Seen a couple potential questions on here, does anyone else have any that their teachers have given for report titles?

These are what my teacher has given us:
- evaluate the role of volcanic and seismic processes in creating a range of distinctive landscapes over time
- explain why tectonic processes produce a variety of contrasting landscapes at different scales
- asses to what extent tectonic processes play a major role in he global distribution of distinctive landscapes
- asses the reasons why distinctive landscapes are formed in areas of tectonic activity

These aren't to dissimilar to the 2011 paper
Original post by jasminmarchant
would you mind sending me this please? :smile:

I'd love that too if you could :biggrin:
Anyone else still a bit confused on the best way to prepare for this exam? I have a draft report written for the question "Seismic processes create more distinctive landscapes that volcanic processes". I have have plenty of case studies, most of which have already been mentioned in this thread e.g. SA Fault, Mauna Loa, The Himalayas ect.
At the moment I'm literally just learning off my report, but I'm concerned that by doing this I'm going to make it more difficult for myself to adapt to a slightly different question.
Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure I will be able to answer a range of questions?
Has anyone else tried to learn theirs of by heart, or have people used different techniques?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending