The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4A (Geography Fieldwork Investigation)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lfc96
Need an A, confident I did well in the first exam, but I hate this exam.
I've done mocks and past papers and have always done poorly because I didn't go into enough depth or answer the question properly.

Same!!!!!!!
I hate this paper it doesn't make any sense at all. I think I did okay in the first exam but not sure. I want to do geography at uni aswell.
I retook GEOG 2 so hopefully that will help though.
fingers crossed I can actually answer the questions tomorrow.
Reply 21
Original post by EmmaO'Neill
Same!!!!!!!
I hate this paper it doesn't make any sense at all. I think I did okay in the first exam but not sure. I want to do geography at uni aswell.
I retook GEOG 2 so hopefully that will help though.
fingers crossed I can actually answer the questions tomorrow.

Yeah, I need AAB in order to study Geography at Uni, so this exam is crucial.
The issue is, is that we are kind of told to teach it to ourselves, but i'm not really sure what we need to know, especially in terms of the statistical techniques.
Original post by lfc96
Yeah, I need AAB in order to study Geography at Uni, so this exam is crucial.
The issue is, is that we are kind of told to teach it to ourselves, but i'm not really sure what we need to know, especially in terms of the statistical techniques.

yeah I need ABB but unlikely to get an A in other subjects.
we were taught it but it was rushed so didn't learn anything. Really annoyed because we learnt 4 topics for GEOG 3 and it left little time for this paper.
can anyone write a few points about how to assess how useful you found your investigation to your understanding of geography?

mark scheme says to think like a geographer?
I think that its going to be ICT Skills as these haven't really been on ever
Is sampling techniques on the syllabus?
At least I'm not the only one who has no idea what this exam is on! Our teacher didn't really teach us, he told the other students who did maths to teach us the statistical techniques and we didn't really go over any presentation skills - and I have no clue what we're supposed to do for the fieldwork section.

Although if it's any help, his predictions were spot on for GEOG3, and for this one he predicted statistical analysis and maybe asking about IT skills for the skills section. No idea about the fieldwork though. Anyone?
Does anyone have any revision notes regarding ICT skills? I would really appreciate this, many thanks.
Original post by ForcaPortugal
Does anyone have any revision notes regarding ICT skills? I would really appreciate this, many thanks.

I'm not sure if they count as notes, but we got told that the four types of ICT skills are:

Remotely-sensed data eg photographs and digital images (including satellite images)

Use of databases eg census data, Environment Agency data, Met Office data

Use of GIS (Geographical Information Systems)

Presentation of text/graphical/cartographic images using ICT

Apparently we need to know examples of how they are used/how they could be used to increase geographical skills or whatever, bonus points if we can give an example of how we used them. Like using Met Office data before the fieldwork trip so we could wear the right clothes for risk assessment, data presentation from fieldwork using ICT and so on.

I think I've got a better sheet somewhere that talks about it more but I'll have to find it in this bombsite of a desk first, hope this helps though!
Original post by ElspethC
I'm not sure if they count as notes, but we got told that the four types of ICT skills are:

Remotely-sensed data eg photographs and digital images (including satellite images)

Apparently we need to know examples of how they are used/how they could be used to increase geographical skills or whatever, bonus points if we can give an example of how we used them. Like using Met Office data before the fieldwork trip so we could wear the right clothes for risk assessment, data presentation from fieldwork using ICT and so on.

I think I've got a better sheet somewhere that talks about it more but I'll have to find it in this bombsite of a desk first, hope this helps though!

Thank you very much- it does help!! :biggrin:
Reply 30

Is this for unseen?
Original post by SJJ97
Is this for unseen?

I honestly don't know, I guess it could be for either? I don't feel like we've been taught 4A particularly well, this is just a bit that my teachers think could come up.
Reply 32
I honestly don't know, I guess it could be for either? I don't feel like we've been taught 4A particularly well, this is just a bit that my teachers think could come up.

Oh okay, yeah it's hard to predict this section
We use scatter graphs for presentation and spearmans rank for analysis :smile:
Reply 34
What could they ask about ICT?
Reply 35
any ideas for the question "explain how your experience of fieldwork has developed your understanding of the topic you investigated?"

or "assess the implications of your conclusions for geographers"
Original post by 9836vicky
can anyone write a few points about how to assess how useful you found your investigation to your understanding of geography?

mark scheme says to think like a geographer?

talk about how your fieldwork investigation expanded your understanding of the geographical theory you based your investigation on. why your results did or didn't fit the expected
eg. my rivers investigation did not fit the bradshaw model due to human interference at the coast and also it has been rejuvenated in the past
Original post by ForcaPortugal
Is sampling techniques on the syllabus?

no i don't think it is, i've just seen it mentioned in the mark scheme or examiners report that some people talk about it, but no
Original post by flash14
any ideas for the question "explain how your experience of fieldwork has developed your understanding of the topic you investigated?"

or "assess the implications of your conclusions for geographers"

q1 - talk about how your fieldwork investigation expanded your understanding of the geographical theory you based your investigation on. why your results did or didn't fit the expectedeg. my rivers investigation did not fit the bradshaw model due to human interference at the coast and also it has been rejuvenated in the past

q2 - talk about whether or not the theory was reliable in predicting the trends, why or why not, what affected it, and why then the theory may not be applicable on all rivers, or whatever your investigation was about
Reply 39
Screenshot 2016-06-15 18.11.54.pngHere is the UMS conversion graph. It's strange how teachers don't put so much of an emphasis on an exam that actually is quite tricky

Quick Reply

Latest