The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vesniep
Can we only use pencil ?
step central page : They should write their answers in hard pencil or pen.
Can we only use pencil only in graphs ?
Also is HB2 (regular pencils) considered to be hard ?

They aren't going to chemically analyse the pencils everyone used and fail you if it's not 4H.

It's just to ensure your answers are (and remain) legible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by johnthedog
oh for **** ******** ****** ************ sake

oh i know that feeling. Did exactly the same as you
shamika whats ur opinion on the paper ?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

How do you have the paper? How do you even have the time for STEP (or are Warwick exams over)?
Original post by Duke Glacia
shamika whats ur opinion on the paper ?

Don't have it so I can't say :frown:
Original post by shamika
How do you have the paper? How do you even have the time for STEP (or are Warwick exams over)?

I have one more exam that I am fairly resigned to doing badly in as I missed all the lectures (and it is first year, and it is not core, and it isn't hugely contributive to my average, 8% of the year I think). A user sent it to me, I suppose I could/should upload it now that I think of it, if it isn't already up there, at some point, although I had just started actually doing a bit of revision.. :colonhash:
I have one more exam that I am fairly resigned to doing badly in as I missed all the lectures (and it is first year, and it is not core, and it isn't hugely contributive to my average, 8% of the year I think). A user sent it to me, I suppose I could/should upload it now that I think of it, if it isn't already up there, at some point, although I had just started actually doing a bit of revision.. :colonhash:

If you could upload it, that would be great. Good luck for the last exam!

what's Warwick like
Original post by shamika

Zacken also has it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1309
Original post by Insight314
Zacken also has it.

Didn't want to upload it without your permission. :tongue:
Original post by shamika

courtesy of Insight314, assuming it won't be minded
Reply 1311
Yes, that is in essence very similar just less wordy. I was just thinking one could do something rigorous/that doesn't rely on just saying "keep doing this until you stop" but considering STEPpers aren't supposed to have done set theory should probs be full marks for that kind of argument
(A well-ordering principle method for instance like the one used for integers in general)

Well, 'keep doing this until you stop' is actually valid. And this is more number theory than set theory.

For example, prime factorisation of the integers. We know a prime factorisation exists for every integer by the 'keep doing this until you stop' analogue. This is because no integer can be infinitely broken down into more and more factors - each time you decompose, you decrease the size of the integers you have, so decomposing infinitely would imply your 'integer' is infinite. If you wanted more convincing, suppose a prime factorisation exists for the first k integers, now if k+1 is prime leave it, else write it as a product of two integers between 1 and k+1. By the induction hypothesis, the product integers can be decomposed into primes, and so can k+1.

The only thing that 'keep doing this until you stop' does NOT prove is the uniqueness of prime factorisation, or the uniqueness of T-prime factorisation in our question. But the question doesn't care about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Didn't want to upload it without your permission. :tongue:

Now I feel guilty :frown:
Reply 1313
Original post by porridgepie
yes i thought my brain was being stupid again also the last part of 12 what on earth did they want, i got p(1)+.5p(2) but bit after when it asked for a generalisation of first parts or something

See the solution thread
Original post by Ecasx
Well, 'keep doing this until you stop' is actually valid. And this is more number theory than set theory.

For example, prime factorisation of the integers. We know a prime factorisation exists for every integer by the 'keep doing this until you stop' analogue. This is because no integer can be infinitely broken down into more and more factors - each time you decompose, you decrease the size of the integers you have, so decomposing infinitely would imply your 'integer' is infinite. If you wanted something more convincing, suppose a prime factorisation exists for the first k integers, now if k+1 is prime leave it, else write it as a product of two integers between 1 and k+1. By the induction hypothesis, the product integers can be decomposed into primes, and so can k+1.

The only thing that 'keep doing this until you stop' does NOT prove is the uniqueness of prime factorisation, or the uniqueness of T-prime factorisation in our question. But the question doesn't care about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yes it is valid. Perhaps rigorous is not the right word, sorry, maybe "clean".
Reply 1315
Oh yes it is valid. Perhaps rigorous is not the right word, sorry, maybe "clean".

It's the easiest way to show a T-prime factorisation exists

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1316
Original post by shamika

Here's a slightly more readable version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6CGjKYdIeFEU0N4aF80WVNMYkk
Original post by gasfxekl
what's Warwick like

It's pretty good. Most exams have been easy but I might be proven wrong by my results. Most lecturers are good, the supervisor system is good, the people are generally pretty chilled. During term time you have to do a lot of assignments but they usually aren't that hard, just time consuming, and they help you learn the material.
Reply 1318
Original post by Insight314
Zacken also has it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How'd M4 go?

thanks mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending