The Student Room Group

STEP 2016 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by student0042

I left my answer was ((7^7 + 1)^3 - sum of 7's)((7^7 + 1)^3 + sum of 7's). :redface:
Original post by Zacken
I left my answer was ((7^7 + 1)^3 - sum of 7's)((7^7 + 1)^3 + sum of 7's). :redface:

That probably would have been better. Oops.
Reply 22
That probably would have been better. Oops.

I don't think it would have... I'll probably get docked a mark or two. Ahhhh.
Original post by Zacken
I don't think it would have... I'll probably get docked a mark or two. Ahhhh.

Really? Did it want the answer like this? I don't remember what form it said, I thought it was just some form with 7^7 in it.
Reply 24
Really? Did it want the answer like this? I don't remember what form it said, I thought it was just some form with [math] 7^7 [/math] in it.

It said "factors written as a sum of various powers of 7", I'm not sure if (7^7 + 1)^3 counts. :frown:
Original post by Zacken
It said "factors written as a sum of various powers of 7", I'm not sure if (7^7 + 1)^3 counts. :frown:

I'm not sure either, but (7^7 + 1)^3 looks a lot nicer.
Original post by Zacken
Just attaching it in big size for you:

(side note, this was a gift question!)

(other side note, I forgot sin -4 was positive...)

How many marks do you recon lost for not including where it was discontinued? I put the y values but I didn't get what it meant.. Which was kind of stupidly obvious now... That's in all parts I didn't do it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by rohanpritchard
How many marks do you recon lost for not including where it was discontinued? I put the y values but I did get what it meant.. Which was kind of stupidly obvious now... That's in all parts I didn't do it

Probably 4/5 marks?
Hey Zacken, what do you think is roughly going to be a grade 2 based on this year's paper difficulty? Thanks
Reply 29
Original post by kelvin1338
Hey Zacken, what do you think is roughly going to be a grade 2 based on this year's paper difficulty? Thanks

My honest opinion is that it'll be about 62 for a 2.
I did not do as well on this as I wanted aha. I need a 2 for my insurance which I think I should have managed, but I wanted a 1. Then again it's probably my fault for not doing enough practice for it...

On question 2 I goofed on part ii and couldn't work out what to substitute oops, and on question 3 I didn't include the dots for the discontinuity...
STEP 1 Q9 solution. I couldn't remember for SURE which way round they put the coefficients of friction but I'm pretty sure it's this way, doesn't actually make any difference for the answer anyway. I realised I got the last bit wrong in the actual exam because I didn't account for the force due to friction at the rail also changing direction (I only changed it at the wall) -_-. This is correct here though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yay! That's the answer I got. :biggrin:

Btw, e simplifies to sqrt 5 - 2

Yep, couldn't be bothered in the exam though. As it is, I spent 15 minutes checking everything because I was convinced my answer wasn't correct, with all the sqrt(5) shiz.
Original post by Zacken
Yep, couldn't be bothered in the exam though. As it is, I spent 15 minutes checking everything because I was convinced my answer wasn't correct, with all the sqrt(5) shiz.

I did exactly the same, thought it would be a nice fraction so spent ages checking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecasx
STEP I 2015 Q12

(i) Alice tosses a fair coin two times and Bob tosses a fair coin three times. Find the probability that Bob obtains more heads than Alice.

(ii) Alice tosses a fair coin three times and Bob tosses a fair coin four times. Find the probability that Bob obtains more heads than Alice.

(iii) Alice and Bob both throw a fair coin n times. The probability that they obtain an equal number of heads is p1, and the probability that Bob obtains more heads is p2. If Bob now throws the coin n+1 times, find the probability (in terms of p1 and p2) that Bob throws more heads than Alice. Hence generalise your results to parts (i) and (ii).

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh damn that's quite an easy question. :smile:
Reply 35
Q7

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

what do you think the mark weighting will be for parts 1 and 2
Original post by smartalan73
STEP I, Question 3

graphs 001.jpg

I stupidly marked the coordinates of the points at the beginning and ends of the horizontal lines. Given that I still got all of the shapes right, how many marks would I have lost do you think?
Original post by jahovasfitness
I stupidly marked the coordinates of the points at the beginning and ends of the horizontal lines. Given that I still got all of the shapes right, how many marks would I have lost do you think?

If you still got the coordinates right, I don't see why you should lose any marks?
Reply 39
Original post by smartalan73
If you still got the coordinates right, I don't see why you should lose any marks?

Agreed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending