The Student Room Group

Dating a single mother

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stargirl63
I just wanted to answer your question when you said you weren't sure why because maybe you're not good enough people.

So I wanted to clarify that it has nothing to do with your good/bad personality. The thing is, when there is a child involved, there's a lot that changes.

yea there may be alot that changes but if you like the person enough, youl at least try for the sake of the person.
afterall, relationships are about compramise and it is do-able.
my bf went from 0 kids to 2 that wernt his (ie mine) and then to 3 when we had our own.
he coped fine
Original post by shawtyb
wow your cheerful

They're all perfectly valid reasons though. Nothing wrong with being a realist. Incidentally the whole "plenty of other fish in the sea" business applies for single parents also, they don't need someone who doesn't suit them either.
Original post by Elivercury
They're all perfectly valid reasons though. Nothing wrong with being a realist. Incidentally the whole "plenty of other fish in the sea" business applies for single parents also, they don't need someone who doesn't suit them either.

never said they did
Original post by shawtyb
yea there may be alot that changes but if you like the person enough, youl at least try for the sake of the person.
afterall, relationships are about compramise and it is do-able.
my bf went from 0 kids to 2 that wernt his (ie mine) and then to 3 when we had our own.
he coped fine

Well done for him, I can appreciate that. Yes it is 1000% do-able. But, relationships are hard enough, without someone putting it on the "difficult" setting.

With regards to your "if you like them enough" comment, usually with a parent, I'd not bother going any further in the conversation - because I know the things I mentioned above are going to be a problem.

Relationship is about compromise - but this isn't like saying "can you put up with my obsession over watching Harry Potter everyday" ...this is a full blown human being that has been added to the equation by default. And then I, as the third party will never come first... not to mention you miss out a key part of the relationship, spending time and growing together, alone, privately - this is like skipping to the end of the book (or should I say, someone else's book).

I watched a TV series (Sex and the City) where this same question was asked, and their analogy was " Dating a parent is like going shopping in the "previously worn" aisle, and I'm too cute to be wearing other people's clothes "... Which I found rather funny when I first watched it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending