The Student Room Group

WJEC S1 Exam Discussion - 15th June 2016

Just thought I'd create a thread for pre/post exam discussion. Good luck to everyone.

Scroll to see replies

This will be my final exam for the year. I'm pretty sure I only got Bs for C1 and C2, but I did a mock for S1 last week, and left after 53 minutes, rather than staying for the full 113 minutes, and I got 92%. I feel pretty confident for this one.
Best of luck anyway
Thanks. If you're also doing it today then I hope you do well.
I think I got either 74 or 75 marks out of 75. Can someone please buy Jane a new calculator.
Reply 5
How did everyone find it?? I thought it went really well! But I couldn't find t :frown:
I'm pretty sure t was 12 or 13. I can't remember the exact details of the question now, but I know I got one of those two for my answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mango88
How did everyone find it?? I thought it went really well! But I couldn't find t :frown:

I got 12 minutes for t.
I feel i didnt do as well as I would of liked. Definitely should of done more past papers! Oh well. Hardest part was Q6 I believe. The one about him having 8 shots. I couldnt work out the profit for the life of me!:angry: ended up guessing -£5
Original post by FusionNetworks
I feel i didnt do as well as I would of liked. Definitely should of done more past papers! Oh well. Hardest part was Q6 I believe. The one about him having 8 shots. I couldnt work out the profit for the life of me!:angry: ended up guessing -£5

I hated that question! I had -£1.61 which I thought must be wrong because its a loss not a profit :/
Can someone please explain 3b that if mean and variance are equal then it must but poisson- is false! I had no idea 🙃🙂🙃
Overall I don't think it was a terrible paper but there were quite a few questions I couldn't do! The profit question, the one when she didn't have a proper calculator, why e(y) isn't poisson?
Original post by Owen_97_ss
I hated that question! I had -£1.61 which I thought must be wrong because its a loss not a profit :/

I also got this value... I just stated that Jim made a loss of £1.60 and the range .: made a profit of £1.60.
For the one about profit, I had £2 something.
Reply 14
Original post by Owen_97_ss

how did you get this value?? i thought it must be -£5 too because the highest probability was for X<2 so no prize? :/
Original post by aehr
how did you get this value?? i thought it must be -£5 too because the highest probability was for X<2 so no prize? :/

Yeah I got -£5.00 too. It sorta made sense as the mean number of times that he hit the target was 0.96 -8 times 0.12 (i think)- therefore he fell under the X<2 category so would have made a loss?

But I'm not sure if this is right.
Original post by aehr

I think it was -5 times P(X<2) + 5 times P(X=2) + 20 times P(X>2).
Reply 17
Felt like it was reasonable but I messed up the continuous random variables question because couldn't get k=1/2 or whatever it was. Got 1 as the Median which is definitely wrong. Think I got the next two parts of the question though.
Original post by Elljp33
Felt like it was reasonable but I messed up the continuous random variables question because couldn't get k=1/2 or whatever it was. Got 1 as the Median which is definitely wrong. Think I got the next two parts of the question though.

It was k(x^2 - x) between 2 and 1. I put 2 in and had k(4-2)=1, 2k=1, k=1/2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
What does everyone think the grade boundaries are gonna be?

Quick Reply