The Student Room Group

OCR AS-Level Computer Science - 14/06/16 - Paper 2 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

I dont think we had the same paper as the person who accidently took the test last week.
Original post by smackitintheair
I dont think we had the same paper as the person who accidently took the test last week.

Well that person said it was very pseudo code heavy and it was so he may have taken it early. But he was wrong saying knowing the spec wasn't enough.
Out of interest what did people put for the 3 inputs for the car simulation? I feel I've made mistake on that putting "selecting the track/car/weather" >.<
Original post by PYDogVan
Out of interest what did people put for the 3 inputs for the car simulation? I feel I've made mistake on that putting "selecting the track/car/weather" >.<

That's exactly what I said.
Reply 44
Original post by nlChandler
That's exactly what I said.

I said the track and the car but I also said number of other drivers/cars or something - is that wrong?
Reply 45

I put exactly the same, took me a while to get the weather one
Original post by Dvizex
I put exactly the same, took me a while to get the weather one

Condition of tyres
Condition of road (wet/dry)
Condition of the cars brakes
After moaning like an ass after the first paper OCR have gone up in my estimation. I missed the write to file procedure question (my own fault for not revising properly) and the one where you have to put whether the heater is on or off which confused the hell out of me and I also know I messed up the stack question completely but again my own fault for not revising that more and for bad time management. On the whole though a very decent paper.

How I wish the first paper had contained less code and more technical stuff. Best of luck to all; next step thinking about the blasted project >.<

The heater question was very simple. You just had to see if a number was within a certain range...
Not a bad paper at all. The stack question was probably the worst but except from that nothing that was horrible. What did everyone get for last question, the 4 values? And any other tough questions anyone remembers?
What was the answer for the 1 marker asking why 8 wouldn't be found in the binary search?
Reply 50
Original post by James3000117
What was the answer for the 1 marker asking why 8 wouldn't be found in the binary search?

Out of order
Original post by Boti
Out of order

Ohhhhh was it not in order?? Damn, should have read the question more carefully. Oh well.
Original post by stevenp99
Not a bad paper at all. The stack question was probably the worst but except from that nothing that was horrible. What did everyone get for last question, the 4 values? And any other tough questions anyone remembers?

Original post by life.of.pablo
The heater question was very simple. You just had to see if a number was within a certain range...

Glad you thought so but I left till very end and was confused by the 24.999 or whatever it was followed by it being on; my own fault...

And I got 16, 16, 15 and 43 as the outputs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Glad you thought so but I left till very end and was confused by the 24.999 or whatever it was followed by it being on; my own fault...

Same, (if 16 was the result of the indented if, can't quite remember)
Reply 55

Yeah, me and 4 others put 16,16,15,43 for the last one
Reply 56
Why are people having issues with stack question, isnt just a for loop, looping through the string backwards adding it to a list. And then adding the length at the end.
Reply 57
I think it ridiculous on the first paper the concentrated on like 10% of the content of the revision guide, and it was mostly focus on what the book covered the least, coding. The 2nd paper was terrible, I mean It test how well you could memorise algorithms like binary search, but most my friends just wrote the algorithm without knowing what it does.

The OCR revision guide doesn't how you have to write codes for stacks, it barely explains it, the ZigZag book does got over it but the code has errors in it which pissed me off, and it's not written in pseudo code even through it say it is, it's all in C with the "=" replaced with an arrow. I'm experienced with coding, but the stack question took the biscuit, I was given a few minutes to process all these request, not only did it want a stack, it want the stack to have wives, children, grandchildren, all these extra requests with the string being put in rather than a single character. It was the same for the first paper, it gave you limited time for the coding section and it would have been fine if it was an algorithm I could have memorised before hand, but it was asking me to put extra stuff into it. None of which the revision guide cover, the guide to barely even write the algorithm, you could tell the anthers got lazy in the ORC on where why begin to write in punctuated English to describe long code while they're giving you the pseudo code for insertion sort.

And someone please tell WTF they were asking me for the Simulation questions, about the "Inputs", I just put the track, car and the steering navigation from the player, the question was vague. The Local and global variable 9 marker has SO LITTLE TO TALK ABOUT, It's probably the least covered topic in the book, the revision books are just so terrible, the work books too, they're poorly worded and they don't correlate with their counterparts, one book says the waterfall model can go backwards easily, the other says it can only allow people to back track a little, another says no backtracking is possible...
Reply 58
Original post by Rayaxe
I think it ridiculous on the first paper the concentrated on like 10% of the content of the revision guide, and it was mostly focus on what the book covered the least, coding. The 2nd paper was terrible, I mean It test how well you could memorise algorithms like binary search, but most my friends just wrote the algorithm without knowing what it does.

The OCR revision guide doesn't how you have to write codes for stacks, it barely explains it, the ZigZag book does got over it but the code has errors in it which pissed me off, and it's not written in pseudo code even through it say it is, it's all in C with the "=" replaced with an arrow. I'm experienced with coding, but the stack question took the biscuit, I was given a few minutes to process all these request, not only did it want a stack, it want the stack to have wives, children, grandchildren, all these extra requests with the string being put in rather than a single character. It was the same for the first paper, it gave you limited time for the coding section and it would have been fine if it was an algorithm I could have memorised before hand, but it was asking me to put extra stuff into it. None of which the revision guide cover, the guide to barely even write the algorithm, you could tell the anthers got lazy in the ORC on where why begin to write in punctuated English to describe long code while they're giving you the pseudo code for insertion sort.

And someone please tell WTF they were asking me for the Simulation questions, about the "Inputs", I just put the track, car and the steering navigation from the player, the question was vague. The Local and global variable 9 marker has SO LITTLE TO TALK ABOUT, It's probably the least covered topic in the book, the revision books are just so terrible, the work books too, they're poorly worded and they don't correlate with their counterparts, one book says the waterfall model can go backwards easily, the other says it can only allow people to back track a little, another says no backtracking is possible...

I think both the papers were very good, and we seemed to cover most of what was in it. I seemed to have enought time for both papers.

With the algorithms it states on the spec that you need to know and understand them, and they're not asking much with the binary question, all it wants you to do is return true when the number is found.

The simlution question did catch some of us off guard, but what you wrote doesnt seem wrong.

All of the code provided on the paper wad pretty simple to understand, and the stack one for me just seemed like you need a for/loop going over the word adding it to a list/stack.

And yoy SHOULD know what the 4 algorithms are and do provided on the spec.
(edited 7 years ago)
I wrote the binary search entirely as the bubble sort algorithm until I realized and changed it!

Thankfully I didn't lose much time since I'd learned both by heart. Was still frustrating, though :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending