The Student Room Group

Parents won't do maintenance forms

Hi,

As you know, parents need to state how much they earn so I can get a maintenance grant. If they do this I'll probably get between 5-6k to help so I wont need to work. I also cant work due to my course being so intense right from the start. However my parents refuse to fill in these forms for literally no reason at all. When I asked them about it they just said that I didn't deserve to go to university. What am I supposed to do?

Thank you,
That sucks
If I was in your position, if I knew where they kept their HMRC letters or P60's I'd just create new emails and fill them in myself.
But why don't they want you to go to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TonyBell
Hi,

As you know, parents need to state how much they earn so I can get a maintenance grant. If they do this I'll probably get between 5-6k to help so I wont need to work. I also cant work due to my course being so intense right from the start. However my parents refuse to fill in these forms for literally no reason at all. When I asked them about it they just said that I didn't deserve to go to university. What am I supposed to do?

Thank you,

Wow, they sound like tossers. I would suggest speaking to student finance, but I suspect the simple reality is that you'll be capped at the minimum loan (5k I believe?). The only alternative is to get a hold of their financials somehow, but good luck with that.
There are no grants for English students anymore.

If your parents won't fill in the forms, there's nothing you can do. You will get the basic, non-income assessed part plus the tuition fee loan.
Reply 4
Original post by AfroBella
That sucks
If I was in your position, if I knew where they kept their HMRC letters or P60's I'd just create new emails and fill them in myself.
But why don't they want you to go to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've always been against me doing anything, I'm not sure why though. They let three of my sisters go to university within the past five years and my mother herself recently went back so I don't know what's wrong with me going. Sounds like nothing can be done judging by the other posts here too, too bad for me I guess.
They've always been against me doing anything, I'm not sure why though. They let three of my sisters go to university within the past five years and my mother herself recently went back so I don't know what's wrong with me going. Sounds like nothing can be done judging by the other posts here too, too bad for me I guess.

Do your sisters get full funding/have your parents supplied details for them? If that is the case I imagine you could ask them to look up your parent's finances. They already have them on record.
Reply 6
Original post by Elivercury
Do your sisters get full funding/have your parents supplied details for them? If that is the case I imagine you could ask them to look up your parent's finances. They already have them on record.

They both switched jobs last year so they would need to send the form off with their updated earnings unfortunately.
They both switched jobs last year so they would need to send the form off with their updated earnings unfortunately.

Right, but they'll need to fill out the form yearly for your sisters is my understanding. So if your sisters are still studying then they will have your parent's records.
Reply 8
Original post by Elivercury
Right, but they'll need to fill out the form yearly for your sisters is my understanding. So if your sisters are still studying then they will have your parent's records.

Oh that's what you meant lol, all of my sisters finished uni one or two years ago so the details wouldn't be updated for them.
Honestly, I've had this happen to a few of my friends. For no apparent reason, their parents have just decided they're not going to give you their details. The only way they got around it was to find the forms themselves and send the info from a made up email. Why are they saying you don't deserve to go?
Reply 10
Original post by EllainKahlo
Honestly, I've had this happen to a few of my friends. For no apparent reason, their parents have just decided they're not going to give you their details. The only way they got around it was to find the forms themselves and send the info from a made up email. Why are they saying you don't deserve to go?

I've been looking on other people's threads and I guess that I will just have to take their forms and do it myself, well whatever it's not the worst thing I could do. The only reason I can think of as to why they're saying this is because of some stuff I got up to in the last year of school, but I left 3 years ago...
I've been looking on other people's threads and I guess that I will just have to take their forms and do it myself, well whatever it's not the worst thing I could do. The only reason I can think of as to why they're saying this is because of some stuff I got up to in the last year of school, but I left 3 years ago...

Unless you did something criminal, your parents sound like they're being unfair. This is your future, plus they let your siblings go. And their details just allow you to be given money by SFE, it's not like they have to fund you out of their own pocket if they don't want to - but you're just going to have to find the forms yourself. Have the emails sent to you then figure out exactly what info you need so you don't miss the deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending