The Student Room Group

WJEC French FN4 - 14th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swifty139
Yeah was all a bit odd idk

I didn't notice any subjunctive although I forgot to put de Noel for Christmas tree xD I didn't know what to put for 'on Christmas' either so I just went with 'le Noel'?

Do the last sentence ('for food that you haven't eaten':wink: -> 'Pour la nourriture que vous n'aurez pas mangée?

Nah I would say passé composé.. what merits the future?
Original post by patricio_miguel
I put simply "que vous n'avez pas mangé"

"Vous n'aurez pas" = you will not have

+ how did you guys translate "supposed to"? I put "vous DEVRIEZ"

I agree other than "mangée"*
And same for vous devriez

Original post by libaax
oh, right, we never did learn direct object pronouns very well :colondollar: thank you for teaching me something new! (even though i never have to do french again ... ehehe)

Original post by libaax
ohhhh rats ;_; thank you! let's just hope i did alright on the rest of it hahaha

If it's any consolation you'll only lose 1 mark for mangé

La journée de Nouvel An! Had no clue whatsoever haha.

Anyone wants to share their answers for the reading section? I was so thrown off...felt like they were asking the same questions lol? The one about Madagascar? I put that it helps to cease any prejudice that people might have toward les handicapés...

Is new years day not Le revéillon? It was in the text

Original post by aysha_aamer
How did people translate which bin to throw their rubbish in?
I think I put something along the lines of "la poubelle dans laquelle on devrait jeter ses déchets" but I'm not sure :frown:

That's grammatically correct and i'm sure the MS will give lots of options. I put 'Dans quelle poubelle il faut jeter vos déchets'

The exact translation for that sentence was at the start of the text how did you not see it? :redface: remember there was a question in the reading like: What do French people find difficult?

(Ils ne savent pas) dans quelle poubelle jeter leurs déchets

It's funny bcos it was translated directly from french to english for the translation so it stood out as weird: they don't know in which bin to throw their rubbish

Also, did everyone get "by sorting their rubbish" as en triant leurs déchets

(Edit: i dont remember the translation word for word but u get what i mean. Wasnt it "you are supposed to know in which bin to throw your rubbish"? So "vous devriez savoir dans quelle pouble jeter vos déchets")
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rileystringer1

The exact translation for that sentence was at the start of the text how did you not see it? :redface: remember there was a question in the reading like: What do French people find difficult?

It's funny bcos it was translated directly from french to english for the translation so it stood out as weird: they don't know in which bin to throw their rubbish

(Edit: i dont remember the translation word for word but u get what i mean. Wasnt it "you are supposed to know in which bin to throw your rubbish"? So "vous devriez savoir dans quelle pouble jeter vos déchets":wink:

Le réveillon means "eve" and the translation said "day"
And I agree lol it is indeed "mangée" urgh I'm so annoyed! It's always them silly mistakes 😩
Le réveillon means "eve" and the translation said "day"

Really? Im pissed off :lol: i wrote le jour du Nouvel An then changed it

(Edit: i dont remember the translation word for word but u get what i mean. Wasnt it "you are supposed to know in which bin to throw your rubbish"? So "vous devriez savoir dans quelle pouble jeter vos déchets")

I used the exact sentence out of the resource text too! Though of course I altered the savoir bit to fit in with the translation.

And yeah I said en triant leurs déchets

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ciarasimpson29
I used the exact sentence out of the resource text too! Though of course I altered the savoir bit to fit in with the translation.

And yeah I said en triant leurs déchets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did y'all get that en triant business lol what question was that 😭😭😭
Where did y'all get that en triant business lol what question was that 😭😭😭

Wasn't it in the translation? "By sorting your/their rubbish"
Nah I would say passé composé.. what merits the future?

The sentence started off with 'you will need' so 'vous aurez besoin de' and then goes on to say 'for food you haven't eaten' but the fact the need is in the future specifies that it's for food than you will not have eaten?

It's like the rule about age, in English we say, when i'm 18 I will go to university, but in French they say 'Quand j'aurai dix-huit ans, j'irai a l'université' so they use the future

I don't know if it would have applied in the same sense but that's my logic?
The sentence started off with 'you will need' so 'vous aurez besoin de' and then goes on to say 'for food you haven't eaten' but the fact the need is in the future specifies that it's for food than you will not have eaten?

It's like the rule about age, in English we say, when i'm 18 I will go to university, but in French they say 'Quand j'aurai dix-huit ans, j'irai a l'université' so they use the future

I don't know if it would have applied in the
same sense but that's my logic?

hmmm...I just had a thought...it did state "have not eaten" - eaten being the past participle rather than "ate" :/ so it does imply that futuristic tense ugh
(edited 7 years ago)

I don't know if it would have applied in the same sense but that's my logic?

@FrenchUnicorn qu'est-ce que tu dirais?
La phrase à traduire c'était "you will need a bin for glass, another for plastic, a third for (?) and a fourth for food that you haven't eaten"
Alors ça mérite quel temps "that you haven't eaten"?
@FrenchUnicorn qu'est-ce que tu dirais?
La phrase à traduire c'était "you will need a bin for glass, another for plastic, a third for (?) and a fourth for food that you haven't eaten"
Alors ça mérite quel temps "that you haven't eaten"?

-> tu vas avoir besoin d'une poubelle pour le verre, une autre pour le plastique, une troisième pour (pas compris pourquoi y a un point d'interrogation ici ?) ; et une quatrième pour la nourriture non consommée

Good you haven't eaten is literally -> la nourriture que tu n'as pas mangée
But we're more likely to use "nourriture non consommée"
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
-> tu vas avoir besoin d'une poubelle pour le verre, une autre pour le plastique, une troisième pour (pas compris pourquoi y a un point d'interrogation ici ?) ; et une quatrième pour la nourriture non consommée

Good you haven't eaten is literally -> la nourriture que tu n'as pas mangée
But we're more likely to use "nourriture non consommée"

The debate is over the choice of tense, because the sentence started with "you will need" which most of us have translated as "vous aurez besoin de", so then would you have to say "la nourriture que vous n'aurez pas mangée", or "que vous n'avez pas mangée"?
The debate is over the choice of tense, because the sentence started with "you will need" which most of us have translated as "vous aurez besoin de", so then would you have to say "la nourriture que vous n'aurez pas mangée", or "que vous n'avez pas mangée"?

Aww I see !
Mmmh, in such a sentence we can use them both.
"Que vous n'aurez pas mangée" would be used if the person hasn't eat yet , and "que vous n'avez pas mangée" would be used if the person has eaten already. Get me ?
But that ^^^ is really to explain why they're slighlty different, because to be fair both are correct

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending