The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

As for how I got on.
Q1 20 Q2 20 Q5?(circles) 18-20 maybe lost some marks on some loose justificiations.
Curvature Q well I had the right idea used a u=f'(x) then I integrated one side wrtx correctly and the other side wrtu so I ****ed up that part. Horrible error on my part. Should have been a 20 on my part but I made a horrendous error under exam conditions.
Vectors: normally I always get vectors right, made an error leading to a wrong OZ shud get methods. I did the last part using the given value.
GF: just did the first part quickly at the end.
Q11 mechanics did everything other then the final distance.
So overall Im happy since I know other then little stupid errors I would have got a really good mark so decent. Just hoping to not make mistake on vectors in II so i can get the S1 II III.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Probably 78-ish imo.

No way.
I predict 67.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon
nah ofcourse not. They wont care at all. Its all about step really. Nothing else.

Churchill sent me a letter, informing me that I should send my UMS results on 18th August if I miss my offer. Since a miss usually refers to missing STEP, how bad is it that M4 is at a C? I even expected M4 to be at an A/A* or even UMS, with M5 a bit lower. This is really ****ing me up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1343
Original post by Insight314
I couldn't even finish the reply I was sending, I am this shocked after M4. I was going to thank you for the solutions, although I am not gonna even look at them until after exams are done since all I need now is to worry about a 2 in STEP I.

How does Cambridge feel about a C in an A-level module? You said before that they disliked flops a lot especially mechanics since university is 50% applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I was saying before was more relative caring. In absolute terms they won't really care, STEP grades are what matters. Plus, even if you get a C in M4, you're still likely to go on and get an A* in FM, so it's not really anything to worry about.

Edit to add: every college sends everybody that email/letter about "send in UMS grades please" but for mathmos, it's more of a formality rather than anything they use extensively. STEP scores are much more informative to them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Probably 78-ish imo.

You think it was as easy as 2010/2013? I didn't do it so I don't know. It doesn't look massively easy (apart from 2 and 3) but I can't really judge it without doing it.
Reply 1345
Original post by sweeneyrod
You think it was as easy as 2010/2013? I didn't do it so I don't know. It doesn't look massively easy (apart from 2 and 3) but I can't really judge it without doing it.

I didn't do very well on it, nerves and exam conditions saw to that. But from an objective viewpoint, the applied was very easy and there were at least 3 gift pures. I think it'll challenge 2010 and 13 as "easy papers". (which is something I very much don't want! I haven't done well).
Original post by Zacken
What I was saying before was more relative caring. In absolute terms they won't really care, STEP grades are what matters. Plus, even if you get a C in M4, you're still likely to go on and get an A* in FM, so it's not really anything to worry about.

I know that even if I get high Ds in M4/M5 and then B in FP3 I can still get A* in FM, but I don't know why I feel so bad at this M4 failure. I guess everyone expected from me to get 100UMS and now I don't think I am even getting a C.

What do you think I should do? I am trying to relax and do some M5/STEP II but I am just feeling so awful about this exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
I didn't do very well on it, nerves and exam conditions saw to that. But from an objective viewpoint, the applied was very easy and there were at least 3 gift pures. I think it'll challenge 2010 and 13 as "easy papers". (which is something I very much don't want! I haven't done well).

I'm sure you've done fine! What were the gifts? 1, 2, 3?
Reply 1348
I know that even if I get high Ds in M4/M5 and then B in FP3 I can still get A* in FM, but I don't know why I feel so bad at this M4 failure. I guess everyone expected from me to get 100UMS and now I don't think I am even getting a C.

What do you think I should do? I am trying to relax and do some M5/STEP II but I am just feeling so awful about this exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently wasting some time on youtube, can't be bothered about anything since doing badly in STEP I kinda sapped my confidence. I reckon just put it behind you, relax a little and then do some work later on at night.
Reply 1349

Yep, Q2 could easily be an A-Level question tbh.
Original post by Zacken

I just realised, that Q2 of STEP I 2016 was about choosing your own constants. Why am I this ****ing retarded? I simplify the differentiated expression, and then try to integrate with the constants. 20 minutes wasted thinking about simplifying it more. Maybe ****ing choose your own constants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah 1,2,3 were gifts.
Based on a brief glance the projectile question looked like a bit of a gift too, but I may be wrong.
Step 1 wasn't too bad a paper. Question 8 was lovely, anyone get the last part to the circle q?
Also, I'm sitting in Ireland so theres no way i can get more answer booklets in time for tomorrow and they only send one answer booklet with the paper so any ideas of what i can do?
I just realised, that Q2 of STEP I 2016 was about choosing your own constants. Why am I this ****ing retarded? I simplify the differentiated expression, and then try to integrate with the constants. 20 minutes wasted thinking about simplifying it more. Maybe ****ing choose your own constants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbf it took me a few minutes to notice that you had to choose your own constants too XD. This was the first Q I attempted on the paper and if I hadn't spotted that my nerves would've eaten me alive lol.
If I think I got 65+, do you think I'll get at least a score of 2?
Reply 1355
Original post by KingRS
Step 1 wasn't too bad a paper. Question 8 was lovely, anyone get the last part to the circle q?
Also, I'm sitting in Ireland so theres no way i can get more answer booklets in time for tomorrow and they only send one answer booklet with the paper so any ideas of what i can do?

The exam centre can just supply you with lined paper or blank paper and put it in with your booklet.
**** my life, going back to primary school so I can be surrounded by equals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
The exam centre can just supply you with lined paper or blank paper and put it in with your booklet.

There's no chance the exam board will kick up a fuss?
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Tbf it took me a few minutes to notice that you had to choose your own constants too XD. This was the first Q I attempted on the paper and if I hadn't spotted that my nerves would've eaten me alive lol.

It was my first question as well. I looked for mistakes, tried whatever in order to get it more simplified. Why is it so difficult not to be a retard under exam conditions? This could've been an easy S, but with Zacken's boundaries, it seems like I am gonna be scraping a 1. This question was even simpler than the 'Pascal's triangle up to double digits' and I couldn't even get the constants right. The retarded ******** that is STEP I.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1359
Original post by KingRS
There's no chance the exam board will kick up a fuss?

No, of course not, why would they?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending