The Student Room Group

Aqa unit 3 economics predictions

Does anyone have any essay predictions for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

Yes I have analysed past papers questions and I have now my predictions of the Unit 3 AQA Economics exam on June 20th:

Essays:
I fully believe that the first essay will be about business objectives, heavily referring to monopoly and perfect competition, but mainly about the growth of firms and how significant profit maximisation and other objectives to certain firms and market structures are.

I believe the second essay will be on either price discrimination (hasn't featured as second essay since June 2013) or contestable markets (which hasn't featured since June 2012).

Finally, the trend seems to say that the third essay will be a cost-benefit analysis one (as it comes up every 2 years: Jan 2010, June 2012, June 2014) but it's very likely it could be about poverty, however this came up last year as the 3rd essay (in the form of distribution of income).

For the contexts, I have no idea but the general structure is always should the government intervene and competition policy is strong for this.

Good luck to everyone!
Original post by Rossii97
Hi,

Yes I have analysed past papers questions and I have now my predictions of the Unit 3 AQA Economics exam on June 20th:

Essays:
I fully believe that the first essay will be about business objectives, heavily referring to monopoly and perfect competition, but mainly about the growth of firms and how significant profit maximisation and other objectives to certain firms and market structures are.

I believe the second essay will be on either price discrimination (hasn't featured as second essay since June 2013) or contestable markets (which hasn't featured since June 2012).

Finally, the trend seems to say that the third essay will be a cost-benefit analysis one (as it comes up every 2 years: Jan 2010, June 2012, June 2014) but it's very likely it could be about poverty, however this came up last year as the 3rd essay (in the form of distribution of income).

For the contexts, I have no idea but the general structure is always should the government intervene and competition policy is strong for this.

Good luck to everyone!

Thank you for this! I know that oligopolies came up last year, however do you think that it is likely to come up again this year? Just because oligopolistic markets take up the most space in the specification in terms of information that we must know for ECON3 so I assume it is easy for them to identify able and unable students from essays on oligopolies? Best of luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by marioandluigi
Thank you for this! I know that oligopolies came up last year, however do you think that it is likely to come up again this year? Just because oligopolistic markets take up the most space in the specification in terms of information that we must know for ECON3 so I assume it is easy for them to identify able and unable students from essays on oligopolies? Best of luck to you too! :smile:

It could well feature in the contexts or even the essays, but the fact that it came up last year in Essay 2 deters it from coming up this year, but that doesn't mean it definitely won't so, like I am doing, I'd make sure I know how to answer oligopoly related questions if they came up for a second year in a row.
Reply 4
It could well feature in the contexts or even the essays, but the fact that it came up last year in Essay 2 deters it from coming up this year, but that doesn't mean it definitely won't so, like I am doing, I'd make sure I know how to answer oligopoly related questions if they came up for a second year in a row.

I really dislike the business economics part of the course and am thinking of revising the other half a lot more as it appears every year you have the choice of which path you want to go down and I am under extreme time constraints with revision. Do you think this is too risky?
Reply 5
Pretty sure that virtually irregardless of what the context the question is in, if there is an essay on should the government intervene vs market forces I'll be doing that. But a couple of twice they've asked should the govt. intervene in the labour market, which is such an awkward twist on it.
Original post by samm98
I really dislike the business economics part of the course and am thinking of revising the other half a lot more as it appears every year you have the choice of which path you want to go down and I am under extreme time constraints with revision. Do you think this is too risky?

What do you mean by the other part of the course? Labour Market?

Yeah, that's a good point. Thank you!
Original post by Jablonski
Pretty sure that virtually irregardless of what the context the question is in, if there is an essay on should the government intervene vs market forces I'll be doing that. But a couple of twice they've asked should the govt. intervene in the labour market, which is such an awkward twist on it.

Yeah, almost in every single past paper!
Reply 9
What do you mean by the other part of the course? Labour Market?

Yeah government intervention and the labour market
I'm stuck seeing if anyone could help
I don't understand the different between perfectly competitive labour market and imperfecty competitive labour markets

Also does imperfect competition mean anything but perfect competition? Sound pretty simple but this is one thing i'm confused about
Reply 11
How are people revising for this?

I understand the concepts but miss key points/chains of reasoning when I do past papers
Original post by Suntzu
How are people revising for this?

I understand the concepts but miss key points/chains of reasoning when I do past papers

Trying to do as many past papers as I can.. quite difficult though. Especially considering the detail in all of the mark schemes. I'm currently doing Q10 in June 2015 which is a standard oligopoly question and the amount of knowledge required of us is a lot more than expected.

Same here! if anyone can help that would be amaaaze
Reply 13
This may sound stupid, but how are people doing past papers? Are you looking at module answers or doing them without?
Original post by Dan-Bon
This may sound stupid, but how are people doing past papers? Are you looking at module answers or doing them without?

What do you mean by module answers? I do it without the markscheme
Reply 15

You know, when there are people who have answered the question previously and got a good grade in it
Reply 17

I thnik she means exemplars
Reply 18
Trying to do as many past papers as I can.. quite difficult though. Especially considering the detail in all of the mark schemes. I'm currently doing Q10 in June 2015 which is a standard oligopoly question and the amount of knowledge required of us is a lot more than expected.

Same here! if anyone can help that would be amaaaze

Okay thanks
Hi,

Essays:

Good luck to everyone!

can anyone explain the main points you would put for these, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest