The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gunawardana
np and thanks to u too - yeah im doing STEP 2 (and 3 as well)

yeah annoyed about STEP 1 too, but I guess we shouldnt let that hold us back in STEP 2 and 3 haha . I just wanna make sure I choose my questions (mainly the last 1/2) well next time (cuz if i had selected a better last Q rather than scraping around i might have been able to get a better total) .

Offer for Cambridge? If so what college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1381
For this years STEP 1 paper Q2, was the method and difficulty for part 1-3 all the same?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1382
Original post by lol456
For this years STEP 1 paper Q2, was the method for part 1-3 all the same?

Surprisingly, yes.
hey guys, just wondering should i be checking out old step papers or like the recent years to prep for the paper tomorrow?
Reply 1384
Original post by danielhx
hey guys, just wondering should i be checking out old step papers or like the recent years to prep for the paper tomorrow?

Recent years. No doubt.
Original post by Zacken
Recent years. No doubt.

thank you!
Reply 1386
What would a an estimate for grade 2 for this year's STEP 1?
Reply 1387
Original post by lol456
What would a an estimate for grade 2 for this year's STEP 1?

I reckon it'd be 65-ish.
Reply 1388
Remind that the STEP I 2016 paper can be found here and the solutions thread here.
Damn. I tried for 4 fulls 2 partials (technically 3 partials as I began a question and promptly dropped it) but my 2 partials were rubbish and now it seems I screwed up part of one of the fulls. How much do you think this has cost me?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Oh my word. Looking at the solutions to the STEP I thread... I didn't even get 1 question right.

Might as well give up on life now.

On a 100x easier note, anyone do the S2 MEI OCR Paper today?
Reply 1391
Original post by 16Characters....
Damn. I tried for 4 fulls 2 partials (technically 3 partials as I began a question and promptly dropped it) but my 2 partials were rubbish and now it seems I screwed up part of one of the fulls. How much do you think this has cost me?

Spoiler

18, 20, 20, 10, 10(?), 20, 13.

Looks like ~101. Question mark indicates completely uncertainty (i.e: no clue what I'm talking about)

I did slightly worse than you.
Original post by 16Characters....

Spoiler

I didn't do the exam, but earlier today I had a go at Q 7. Pretty interesting, the first parts were easy, but (iv) was hard (I'm still pondering (b)). Definitely wouldn't have liked (iv) (a) under exam conditions, trying to write convincing proofs under pressure is not fun.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Oh my word. Looking at the solutions to the STEP I thread... I didn't even get 1 question right.

Yeah, I did what did you think of it?
Original post by Bruhh
Yeah, I did what did you think of it?

I'm actually a little annoyed tbh, I found it incredibly easy. Which to me means any mistakes I made would be hugely amplified. I had 20 minutes spare to check my answers - something I've never had in an exam. Except C1 last year of course. But I always take my time. Tbf this is the first exam I took revision incredibly seriously.

There was nothing out of the ordinary apart from the question about the assumptions of spearmans test, but it was pretty easy to figure out.

How about you mate?
I'm actually a little annoyed tbh, I found it incredibly easy. Which to me means any mistakes I made would be hugely amplified. I had 20 minutes spare to check my answers - something I've never had in an exam. Except C1 last year of course. But I always take my time. Tbf this is the first exam I took revision incredibly seriously.

There was nothing out of the ordinary apart from the question about the assumptions of spearmans test, but it was pretty easy to figure out.

How about you mate?

Yeah I thought it was a pretty standard S2 paper, although wasn't a fan of the drawing a scatter diagram since the scales were awful. Yeah I actually saw that spearmans thing yesterday when going through some stuff thankfully, but it was only 1 mark anyways.

I finished with 35 mins spare which I never normally do in stats, at least I had plenty of time to check though.
My performance yesterday:
Q1 Full
Q2 Full
Q3 Assuming Full
Q8 Full
Q10 Full
Q13 Screwed it up big time. Maybe like 8 marks (just did the first part)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bruhh
Yeah I thought it was a pretty standard S2 paper, although wasn't a fan of the drawing a scatter diagram since the scales were awful. Yeah I actually saw that spearmans thing yesterday when going through some stuff thankfully, but it was only 1 mark anyways.

I finished with 35 mins spare which I never normally do in stats, at least I had plenty of time to check though.

I keep hearing people mention the scales being awful - I didn't have any issues? One scale was jumps in 20 and the other jumps in 10 right? Maybe I missed something oops lol

what did you write for spearman's rank assumption?
I keep hearing people mention the scales being awful - I didn't have any issues? One scale was jumps in 20 and the other jumps in 10 right? Maybe I missed something oops lol

Yeah thats exactly what I did just found it awkward since half the numbers were odd and so some you had to do a quarter of a square for. I can't imagine they'll be too precise with it as long as it's roughly correct though. What other modules are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending