The Student Room Group

Compulsory consent classes for guys at York uni from next year.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
For any of you still interested in this story. Firther info from source.

The description by the article of classes is inaccurate.
It is a single 20 minute talk.
Both genders attend the talk, which is given at the same time freshers are introduced to basics like the fire/ evactuation procedures.
The presentation will be posted to their website.

Think that clarifies things and looks far less onerous or controversial.

Sounds like a waste of 20 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Sounds like a waste of 20 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Am sure lots of people say that about TSR.

Without knowing the content it would be hard to say. If there are issues if harassment or worse, then am open minded as to whether it might make someone think again or be aware of what the consequences are. It would also inform people about what to do if they are subject to such behaviour, who to complain to etc.

Without knowing the content it would be hard to say. If there are issues if harassment or worse, then am open minded as to whether it might make someone think again or be aware of what the consequences are. It would also inform people about what to do if they are subject to such behaviour, who to complain to etc.

These people are supposed to be adults, not children.

You have a problem, go to the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
F*** that.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
http://www.yorkvision.co.uk/news/compulsory-consent-classes-from-next-year/13/06/2016

If you firmed York I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems, being a ***** ain't one! :lol:

*crosses York off lengthy uni choice list*
These people are supposed to be adults, not children.
You have a problem, go to the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are only just adults, though , with most of them first time away from home and in contact with alcohol and drugs.

The police arent always a viable option. Better to prevent situations getting out of hand in the first place.

If 18 year old boys don't know that if a girl doesn't say yes then you can't have sex with her then their parents have seriously messed up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
If 18 year old boys don't know that if a girl doesn't say yes then you can't have sex with her then their parents have seriously messed up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know what the content of the course is , so hard to gauge how useful.
Also dont know whether they have an issue with harassment at York.
Its just as much for females to tell them what to do about unwated attention.
Don't know what the content of the course is , so hard to gauge how useful.
Also dont know whether they have an issue with harassment at York.
Its just as much for females to tell them what to do about unwated attention.

Even if there's a problem with consent among existing students that doesn't give a reason to educate incoming students on consent. I don't need to know the content, 18 year old boys should not need an education on consent and even if they do it's not the place of the uni to educate them on that. The simple fact is for the vast majority of students it's nothing more than a waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even if there's a problem with consent among existing students that doesn't give a reason to educate incoming students on consent. I don't need to know the content, 18 year old boys should not need an education on consent and even if they do it's not the place of the uni to educate them on that. The simple fact is for the vast majority of students it's nothing more than a waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Simple fact is they feel its relevant so will be going ahead with it. As you said you dont neet to know what the course is about as you can dimsiss it out of hand, but it may not be all about consent.
The Uni obviously feels it is important enough as the students are under their supervision and thats why it is supporting it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you overestimate 18 year old boys. The documentary I mentioned earlier had 18 year old boys about to start university and many of them did not fully understand consent or what constitutes rape.

It should also be noted that it is being delivered to both genders, not simply boys.

We're not talking "dragging random women into bushes is wrong" level of consent here; I'd sincerely hope all 18 year old boys/girls would know that is wrong.
Simple fact is they feel its relevant so will be going ahead with it. As you said you dont neet to know what the course is about as you can dimsiss it out of hand, but it may not be all about consent.
The Uni obviously feels it is important enough as the students are under their supervision and thats why it is supporting it.

Yes they are going ahead with it but that doesn't mean we can't debate how reasonable it is. If it's not all about consent then it's being misreported but the fact is, the best information available says it's about consent and doesn't mention anything else. Well yes, clearly they feel that way but in my opinion they're wrong.

Original post by Elivercury
I think you overestimate 18 year old boys. The documentary I mentioned earlier had 18 year old boys about to start university and many of them did not fully understand consent or what constitutes rape.

It should also be noted that it is being delivered to both genders, not simply boys.

We're not talking "dragging random women into bushes is wrong" level of consent here; I'd sincerely hope all 18 year old boys/girls would know that is wrong.

Are you referring to the one on BBC a while back? In my opinion it's truly mystifying how anyone can believe someone not saying no constitutes consent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes they are going ahead with it but that doesn't mean we can't debate how reasonable it is. If it's not all about consent then it's being misreported but the fact is, the best information available says it's about consent and doesn't mention anything else. Well yes, clearly they feel that way but in my opinion they're wrong.

Are you referring to the one on BBC a while back? In my opinion it's truly mystifying how anyone can believe someone not saying no constitutes consent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye that one, where they approached it from three different sides and had them discuss. I found it really interesting and I agree that some of the guys' views were absolutely shocking/ignorant. Unfortunately like most things you need to target this at the lowest common denominator.

While I'd be inclined to agree that a 20 minute meeting is unlikely to have a significant affect on guys with that level of ignorance, I don't believe it can hurt either. It may even help some of those leaning more towards the middle ground, or at least prompt discussion in the case of doubt.
Aye that one, where they approached it from three different sides and had them discuss. I found it really interesting and I agree that some of the guys' views were absolutely shocking/ignorant. Unfortunately like most things you need to target this at the lowest common denominator.

While I'd be inclined to agree that a 20 minute meeting is unlikely to have a significant affect on guys with that level of ignorance, I don't believe it can hurt either. It may even help some of those leaning more towards the middle ground, or at least prompt discussion in the case of doubt.

I'd be interested to see whether the content is actually correct.
Such as the "if you are drunk you can't consent", which is bull**** as an absolute statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be interested to see whether the content is actually correct.
Such as the "if you are drunk you can't consent", which is bull**** as an absolute statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd really like to believe there would be no nonsense like that. I can't believe I've come across the whole "you can't consent if you've had a drink" argument in at least three different threads. Complete and total nonsense, not to mention it makes zero logical sense.
I'd really like to believe there would be no nonsense like that. I can't believe I've come across the whole "you can't consent if you've had a drink" argument in at least three different threads. Complete and total nonsense, not to mention it makes zero logical sense.

I too would like to believe there will be no nonsense, but I think I many others in this thread expect it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd agree some people have an astonishing level of ignorance but why should that mean everyone has to go to these talks. They should maybe make a compulsory questionnaire and people who's answers are troubling have to go.

I can also see there being misinformation as well like this idiotic notion that any woman who's even smelt alcohol in the last month can't consent

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd agree some people have an astonishing level of ignorance but why should that mean everyone has to go to these talks. They should maybe make a compulsory questionnaire and people who's answers are troubling have to go.

I can also see there being misinformation as well like this idiotic notion that any woman who's even smelt alcohol in the last month can't consent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably because the filling out a questionnaire and being assessed on it would require about as much time on the part of the student but significantly more time on the part of the university.

There is also a sound argument for having those that do understand it there to guide and explain things to those that clearly don't get it.

Sure, it's slightly unfair that they need to do it, but then it's only 20 minutes of their life. Besides, who knows? Perhaps their being involved and explaining things to the person sat next to them could prevent a rape.

We can only speculate on the video content. To be honest, I'd be up for them just showing the BBC documentary to everyone, I personally thought it was very well made and enlightening. As you say, it didn't include any ridiculous notions about alcohol or whatever and it also presented the side of the unjustly accused, which you likely won't see often in a documentary on rape. It was of course a fair whack longer than 20 minutes.
Reply 78

Don't you think that these classes would be more appropriate in high school?

It's a bit dumb to wait for them to turn 18yo to explain these things whereas the sexual majority is at 16...
Original post by Josb
Don't you think that these classes would be more appropriate in high school?

It's a bit dumb to wait for them to turn 18yo to explain these things whereas the sexual majority is at 16...

I 100% agree that these classes should be taught from as early as primary school. Obviously without the sex bits.

However the government has already refused to do this, therefore the universities have ultimately taken it upon themselves. It's better than nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest