The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Chemistry C2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016

This poll is closed

How many marks do you think you got out of 60?

0 - 10 marks 2%
11 - 20 marks 2%
21 - 30 marks 10%
31 - 40 marks 20%
41 - 50 marks 36%
51 - 60 marks30%
Total votes: 753

Join the NEW GCSE Science 2017 Discord Server!

https://discord.gg/JuX3GGy

Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C2 Unofficial mark scheme! Due to the success of my other mark scheme for AQA Biology which got 40k views I will happily do another and look forward to seeing how you guys found the exam.

This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below or contact me on twitter (@NacoRBLX) and I will be sure to add it.

This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.
It does not contain all answers.

AQA C2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation)

Note: Not all the questions are complete

1. Question on Temperature Change
a) 5.75 (do not include the anomaly)
b)
c)
d) How could you change the apparatus to get more accurate results? Use a digital thermometer. It is more accurate.
2. Question on Fertilisers
What is the PH after being neutralized? 7
Percentage by mass: 14+1+1+1 = 17 (14/17) x 100 = 82%
6 Mark Question about a farmer using ammonium nitrate on his crops. The best value to use was around 200kg because the lowest possible amount went into nearby lakes and it produced the maximum profit. Values between 200kg and 300kg would all probably be accepted. The examinors want to see that you can compare values on all graphs and find one which suits them all. Doing this should get you most of the marks.
3. Question on Particles and Nano Particles
Why are nano particles good catalysts? They have a large surface area to volume ratio.
Put the dots/crosses in the diagram to resemble electrons. Put 2 dots/crosses in the overlapping bits and 6 outside of it. There should be 8 in the outer shell of oxygen so getting them in the wrong places but drawing 8 dots/crosses should get you 1 mark out of 2.
H2o.png
4. Reaction experiment (cross under flask)
Why did the liquid go cloudy? Sulfur precipitate was produced which is insoluble in water.
What should she keep the same? The amounts of each substance used. The person looking at the cross.
How could she do it with a temperature of 5 degrees? Cool the liquid
5. Question on electrolysis (Magnesium Chloride)
Why do the molecules need to be melted or dissolved in water?
The particles need to be able to move so they can get to the electrodes. This also separates them.
Why does magnesium form at the negative electrode?
It is M2+ so it will be attracted to the negative electrode. It will then gain 2 electrons and therefore no longer be an ion.
In experiment 2, magnesium did not form at the negative electrode, why?
The magnesium chloride was dissolved in water so hydrogen atoms are present. These are less reactive than magnesium so will form.
6. Question on materials
How does copper conduct electricity? It has free electrons in its structure which can flow through when a current is applied.
Why is diamond very hard to break? Diamond is hard because it has lots of strong covalent bonds which are hard to break.
Why would you use thermosetting polymers in pan handles? They are strong and heat resistant. They have a high melting point.

Predicted grade boundaries will come soon.

Note: The question parts may not be in the right order.

This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 49 marks

A - 42 marks

B - 32 marks

C - 25 marks

Keep an ion this mark scheme... Hopefully it will get a good reaction... All the good jokes argon...
Oh god the puns...

If you did the B2 exam on Friday, we have the mark scheme for that as well!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Percentage by mass = 82%
that was ez
1b) use a digital thermometer ~ more accurate ~ no human error
Hydrogen formed at negative electrode because magnesium is more reactive
Better to use nano particles instead of powder as a catalyst because of nanotubes have larger surface area to volume ratio
Original post by Naco88
Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C2 Unofficial mark scheme! Due to the success of my other mark scheme for AQA Biology which got 40k views I will happily do another and look forward to seeing how you guys found the exam.
AQA B2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have the last few questions of foundation)
1. Question on Temperature Change

2. Question on Fertilisers
a)
b)
c)
d) 6 Mark Question about a farmer using ammonium nitrate on his crops. The best value to use was around 200kg because the lowest possible amount went into enarby lakes and it produced the maximum profit.

3. Question on Particles and Nano Particles

4. Reaction experiment (cross under flask)

5. Question on electrolysis (Magnesium Chloride)

6. Question on materials
a)
b) Diamond is hard because it has lots of strong covalent bonds which are hard to break.
c)

Electrolysis -

Gas produced was hydrogen
Why : H+ ions are more reactive than Mg^2+

Last question:

Copper can can conduct electricity due to free delocalised electrons that carry a charge, they move about the giant lattice.

Thermosetting is the better option because it can withstand high temperatures unlike thermosoftening. It has cross links made up of strong covalent bonds. They do not melt at high temperatures - high melting and boiling point.
Okay so for the why is it cloudy question I wrote precipitate at first but then wrote about precipitation, would I still get the mark? :frown: and also, for the change question I wrote a stopwatch?
Original post by noor.m
Okay so for the why is it cloudy question I wrote precipitate at first but then wrote about precipitation, would I still get the mark? :frown: and also, for the change question I wrote a stopwatch?

For the 2 variables I said to keep constant the volume of sodium thiosulfate and hydrochloric acid is this right?
Reply 9
Original post by Certified
Electrolysis -

Gas produced was hydrogen
Why : H+ ions are more reactive than Mg^2+

I put because they were less reactive.
A reaction is endothermic in the opposite direction.

acid and alkali reaction tick box was H2O
Reply 11
Original post by jackbarry1999
For the 2 variables I said to keep constant the volume of sodium thiosulfate and hydrochloric acid is this right?

They are the only 2 I saw.
Original post by Naco88
I put because they were less reactive.

No it's because it's more reactive
Pretty sure 1a was 5.75
Original post by jackbarry1999

Both correct I think. I said vol of hydrochloric acid and concentration of sodium thiosulfate.
Magnesium forms at negative electrode because of the 2 positive ions which need to be reducted which makes it a magnesium atom
Original post by LeoZango
Pretty sure 1a was 5.75

Correct, anomaly needed to be discarded.
Original post by Certified
Both correct I think. I said vol of hydrochloric acid and concentration of sodium thiosulfate.

I said concentration of HCl and mass of Sodium thiosulfate though I think volume or concentration is acceptable for HCl
For the question about the magnesium chloride did people talk about ionic boding?
Everyone is getting carried away. An A will be like 45!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending