The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raizelcadres
I live by myself so I don't think I would be able to afford a private tutor so who exactly can provide a personal reference?

I'd recommend you get back in touch with your previous schools or teachers.

And speak to the universities you are considered applying to first thing tomorrow to ask who they will accept as a reference.
Original post by PQ
I'd recommend you get back in touch with your previous schools or teachers.

And speak to the universities you are considered applying to first thing tomorrow to ask who they will accept as a reference.

Will do, thank you for the advice. :biggrin:
Original post by PQ
Uclan and lancaster uni are 2 different places (uclan is university of central lancaSHIRE not lancaSTER).

Don't apply for the wrong one!

Thanks for pointing that out, knowing me i probably would :biggrin::biggrin: .
Original post by emiloujess
Exams are over for some! :smile:

Not me though... my last one is on the 23rd :bawling:

Same i have one 3 this week, psychology tommorow general studies the day after and bio the day after that.... On the 23rd i have 2 2h exams... FML biology and sociology
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Same i have one 3 this week, psychology tommorow general studies the day after and bio the day after that.... On the 23rd i have 2 2h exams... FML biology and sociology

AQA Sociology? If so, same! I have a Psychology exam tomorrow too haha
AQA Sociology? If so, same! I have a Psychology exam tomorrow too haha

Yep, i havent revised for sociology yet... But i do remember alot of it from unit 3 and some from unit 4 mainly cause its easy to understand been doing psych which for my first unit 3 exam i thought it went really well!

How about you? How did your exam go and have you started revising for sociology yet?
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Yep, i havent revised for sociology yet... But i do remember alot of it from unit 3 and some from unit 4 mainly cause its easy to understand been doing psych which for my first unit 3 exam i thought it went really well!

How about you? How did your exam go and have you started revising for sociology yet?

Ah, AQA Psych then? :smile: I'm OCR. The first section (Forensic) went okay I guess but the second section (Sport) was absolutely horrific. Just hope I got a middle C which would make it a B overall :smile:

Uh I've kinda revised Beliefs and done nada for Crime :') But I've got 6/9 days to focus on it so hopefully I'll be okay.
Original post by Breynolds2671999
Thanks for pointing that out, knowing me i probably would :biggrin::biggrin: .

You'd be amazed how many applicants put the wrong university down by mistake!
Reply 188
Original post by PQ
You'd be amazed how many applicants put the wrong university down by mistake!

What actually happens if someone puts down the wrong university and doesn't realise until results day? Just seems like an interesting situation.
Damn someone beat me to it :biggrin:

It's so soon though, I think I might cry because of how badly I f*cked up.
Original post by SH0405
What actually happens if someone puts down the wrong university and doesn't realise until results day? Just seems like an interesting situation.

there's not a lot can be done if someone puts the wrong university and doesn't realise until after the first 7/14 days cooling off period. If they realise a few weeks/months later then they could turn down any other offers and apply through Extra (if there's space) or through Clearing (again if there's space) - but realistically for a lot of people who make this mistake they're either stuck with it, take up one of their other choices/another option in Extra/Clearing or take a gap year and try again.

My UCAS adviser at school went to Newcastle because he thought it was Nottingham (back in olden times people wrote in university codes - a letter and 2 numbers N84 and N21 for Notts/Newc)....and he loved it there :rofl: so maybe not the best adviser but it's certainly not a new mistake!
Reply 191
Original post by PQ

My UCAS adviser at school went to Newcastle because he thought it was Nottingham (back in olden times people wrote in university codes - a letter and 2 numbers N84 and N21 for Notts/Newc)....and he loved it there :rofl: so maybe not the best adviser but it's certainly not a new mistake!

That's brilliant! :giggle:
Original post by PQ
there's not a lot can be done if someone puts the wrong university and doesn't realise until after the first 7/14 days cooling off period. If they realise a few weeks/months later then they could turn down any other offers and apply through Extra (if there's space) or through Clearing (again if there's space) - but realistically for a lot of people who make this mistake they're either stuck with it, take up one of their other choices/another option in Extra/Clearing or take a gap year and try again.

How on earth did they mix those two up - the numbers aren't even near each other 😂
How on earth did they mix those two up - the numbers aren't even near each other 😂

I have no idea but he was a lovely teacher (if not a great UCAS adviser!) :smile:

Taught me everything what I know about grammar :yes:
Original post by PQ
I have no idea but he was a lovely teacher (if not a great UCAS adviser!) :smile:

Taught me everything what I know about grammar :yes:

At least he could tell you what NOT to do I guess :tongue:

Also this has been bugging me for a while now, so I was hoping you could maybe give me a little insight.

I changed my course at Cardiff from Social Analytics & Politics to Journalism, Media & Sociology after I firmed it. Therefore I now have a Personal Statement that is barely relevant to my course on my application.

Say on Results Day I slip a grade and get BBB. Now I know that there are many many factors involved in whether they admit me but will my irrelevant PS put me at a disadvantage compared to someone who originally applied for that course? I know you can't give me a definite because obviously no-one knows anything yet but do you know anything about people in that situation?

At least he could tell you what NOT to do I guess :tongue:

Also this has been bugging me for a while now, so I was hoping you could maybe give me a little insight.

I changed my course at Cardiff from Social Analytics & Politics to Journalism, Media & Sociology after I firmed it. Therefore I now have a Personal Statement that is barely relevant to my course on my application.

Say on Results Day I slip a grade and get BBB. Now I know that there are many many factors involved in whether they admit me but will my irrelevant PS put me at a disadvantage compared to someone who originally applied for that course? I know you can't give me a definite because obviously no-one knows anything yet but do you know anything about people in that situation?

It's very unlikely for an academic courses to get to a point where the PS would be a distinguishing factor at confirmation. They're going to filter on grades first (so things like "missed strict offer but exceeds points equivalent" (AAC for a BBB offer), "missed strict offer but points equivalent" (ABC for BBB), missed by one grade but in least relevant subject, missed by two grades in least relevant subject, missed by one grade in most relevant subject etcetc)

Different universities will have different priorities but they will ONLY reject if
a) they physically/logistically can't accept anyone else
Or
b) they genuinely think that an applicant will struggle to succeed on the course with those grades based on historical data

PS isn't a factor for B and isn't going to be a factor for A (numbers for the sort of course you're considering aren't going to matter if they're 5-10 over target).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
It's very unlikely for an academic courses to get to a point where the PS would be a distinguishing factor at confirmation. They're going to filter on grades first (so things like "missed strict offer but exceeds points equivalent" (AAC for a BBB offer), "missed strict offer but points equivalent" (ABC for BBB), missed by one grade but in least relevant subject, missed by two grades in least relevant subject, missed by one grade in most relevant subject etcetc)

Different universities will have different priorities but they will ONLY reject if
a) they physically/logistically can't accept anyone else
Or
b) they genuinely think that an applicant will struggle to succeed on the course with those grades based on historical data

PS isn't a factor for B and isn't going to be a factor for A (numbers for the sort of course you're considering aren't going to matter if they're 5-10 over target).

PRSOM 😔

Thank you so much I was really worried about that 😊 Actually quite relieved now!
(edited 7 years ago)
Ive got an offer for child nursing from Kings BBB.

However, I think I've messed up one of my Alevels and instead will be getting ABC on results day, obviously this could change as I dont know the grades till then but I just want to know if it is the outcome - is there any chance they would accept me still because its my dream to go and im just so annoyed about the one ive messed up 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skytrenfield
Ive got an offer for child nursing from Kings BBB.

However, I think I've messed up one of my Alevels and instead will be getting ABC on results day, obviously this could change as I dont know the grades till then but I just want to know if it is the outcome - is there any chance they would accept me still because its my dream to go and im just so annoyed about the one ive messed up 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

They could but there are a number of factors involved - see PQs post above :smile:
Are you AS or A2?
A2
What subjects are you taking?
Maths, Computing and Chemistry
How are exams going?
I've sat 6 so far. I've got a disturbing good/meh pattern emerging. :frown:
To which university are you hoping to go?
York!
To study which subject?
Computer Science
How are you feeling about results day?
Mixed. I need ABB and my predicted grades are AAB. I'm not sitting on amazing AS results (CCC) and I'm a third year student after dropping out part way through last year, so some of my exams this year are resits. I'm pretty confident about Computing (which would be my A), but Maths and Chemistry have thrown me. Chemistry is my weak subject so I've been hammering revision for it and exams have gone alright. Maths exams, which I'm normally quite capable in, haven't been the nicest in recent years and the C3 exam I did yesterday most people hated, my college have even appealed for lower grade boundaries because they believe it was the hardest in recent memory! I found it okay, though and am hoping for at least a B in Maths overall. At the moment I'm concerned I may get A*BC or ABC instead of the ABB I need, and my offer doesn't include equivalent grades. :bricks:

Edit: Well C4 was horrific for me, wish I could have done more past papers, but ah well. The joys of having 10+ exams over 3 weeks. Bye bye York. :frown:

Anything else to add?
Good luck everyone, can't wait to read about how everybody got on in 60+ days time! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest