The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyPlatypus
If the point is separation of powers (on a 15 marker) , would "Obama had to leave the Senate in 2008" good enough for an example? Proving that the three branches are separate? I always use it as an example for that point in any question and now it doesn't seem good enough haahah

Yeah, I don't see why not. You could link it by saying had sanders or Cruz etc got the nomination and presidency they would have had to do the same.

You can also say that as Joe Biden as VP he almost breaks this as VP is also a presiding officer of the senate and is able to pass a tie-breaking vote.
Reply 442
Original post by Pato1
I'll put some predictions up in a bit for some questions

you are a gem!
If the point is separation of powers (on a 15 marker) , would "Obama had to leave the Senate in 2008" good enough for an example? Proving that the three branches are separate? I always use it as an example for that point in any question and now it doesn't seem good enough haahah

I've used it before in practice essays and my teacher's been fine with it, so it should be ok.

Yeah! and you could also mention how John Kerry resigned his position in the Senate in 2013 to take up the position of secretary of state in the cabinet
Original post by MelissaaC
Yeah! and you could also mention how John Kerry resigned his position in the Senate in 2013 to take up the position of secretary of state in the cabinet

Original post by doctorwhofan98
I've used it before in practice essays and my teacher's been fine with it, so it should be ok.

Original post by Bubble486
Yeah, I don't see why not. You could link it by saying had sanders or Cruz etc got the nomination and presidency they would have had to do the same.

You can also say that as Joe Biden as VP he almost breaks this as VP is also a presiding officer of the senate and is able to pass a tie-breaking vote.

Thank you guys! Examples aren't really my strong point:colondollar: I feel like I have quite a lot that I've memorised and I just use those over and over
Has anyone got any predictions for 4C?

I'm guessing
Constitution: federalism
Congress: either local/ national factors or checks and balances
Presidency: lame duck

Surely they wouldn't do lame duck cause that was the 2014 question so it would literally be a repeat of it??
Original post by MrsBanana01628
Surely they wouldn't do lame duck cause that was the 2014 question so it would literally be a repeat of it??

I know but in the recent politics review articles they had a section on whether Obama was a lame duck and their most recent articles normally come up in the exam. If that doesn't come up then I'm guessing imperial presidency
Original post by MrsBanana01628

Edexcel like repeating questions. The Electoral College one is near enough identical to ones in the past, while for my Edexcel A2 History paper, the questions were nearly identical to the past paper we'd happened to have done for our mock - I think they changed one year, but I could literally re-use my answer. So I wouldn't be surprised - and I'd be so happy - for them to re-use questions for 4C.

That said, I disagree with the federalism prediction as it's come up a lot recently.
Edexcel like repeating questions. The Electoral College one is near enough identical to ones in the past, while for my Edexcel A2 History paper, the questions were nearly identical to the past paper we'd happened to have done for our mock - I think they changed one year, but I could literally re-use my answer. So I wouldn't be surprised - and I'd be so happy - for them to re-use questions for 4C.

That said, I disagree with the federalism prediction as it's come up a lot recently.

It hasn't come up as a 45 marker recently though? fair enough for 15 though! I t was just a guess because it was in a recent politics review article and they seem to correlate with the exams but for the constitution it could also be a checks and balances question
Does anyone have any examples of Supreme Court cases that show judicial activism that Conservatives would use to criticise judicial activism. For liberals I have examples like D.C. v Heller and US v Lopez but can't find any specific ones for Conservatives besides Roe v Wade.
For Constitution (as a 45 marker) it could be something to do with "can the bill of rights be protected while the threat of terrorism remains" as that hasn't come up since 2010? and I don't think there's been a constitution question about protecting rights since that's just a weak guess though looking at past questions
For Constitution (as a 45 marker) it could be something to do with "can the bill of rights be protected while the threat of terrorism remains" as that hasn't come up since 2010? and I don't think there's been a constitution question about protecting rights since that's just a weak guess though looking at past questions

Bloody hell I hate that question
It hasn't come up as a 45 marker recently though? fair enough for 15 though! I t was just a guess because it was in a recent politics review article and they seem to correlate with the exams but for the constitution it could also be a checks and balances question

Ah true, not so much as a 45 marker, though after glancing through my past paper booklets just now I couldn't spot any federalism 45 markers at all - I'm not sure there would be enough to talk about, though I guess New Federalism could be elaborated on a lot.
Ah true, not so much as a 45 marker, though after glancing through my past paper booklets just now I couldn't spot any federalism 45 markers at all - I'm not sure there would be enough to talk about, though I guess New Federalism could be elaborated on a lot.

Could it be something along the lines of "to what extent has the federal government expanded as the expense of the states under the modern presidency" or recently? I would just write about obamacare, fiscal stimulus, race to the top, executive orders on immigration etc
(edited 7 years ago)
Bloody hell I hate that question

Same, it's weird because for 15 markers I feel really confident but for 45s I find them so much harder
Yet it's the opposite for unit 3 :laugh::laugh:

That's such a horrible question! I have no ideas what examples I would use for that, and it's difficult even after looking at the mark scheme

yeah true
(edited 7 years ago)

It was the 2014 45 mark question? "A president's power inevitably declines in a second term in office" that's what a lame duck presidency is. I realise they repeat questions but I'd be surprised if they repeated one that's only 2 years old. The Electoral College question last came up in like 2011 which was why it was unsurprising it was repeatd.

Quick Reply