The Student Room Group

Physics P1 - 3 OCR Gateway B GCSE Official Discussion Thread

Official Edexcel GCSE Physics OCR (P1 - P3) Exam Discussion Thread

Date: 15th June 2015

Time: PM

Duration: 1h 15m

Hello and welcome to the GCSE Physics (P1 - P3) OCR Exam Discussion Thread (Official). On this thread, you can discuss any questions regarding the upcoming exam and predictions on what questions can come up etc. It'd be great if anyone posts revision sources that they use to revise.

Remember, we still have time to revise. It's not all over.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any predictions ? :smile:
Reply 2
Equations for P3! As well as nuclear power
Reply 3
Original post by Locyce
Equations for P3! As well as nuclear power

What do you mean like in terms of equations?
I hope they throw something idiotic and simple like.

Derive the formula of 'power' and link it to 'force'.

I can almost bet that 'stars' are coming up - strong feeling idk why.
Reply 4
They will be a couple of simple ones. But there will be one really hard one! Possibly worth 3 marks.
Stars? I hope you're right, imagine a lovely 6 marker on it!
Reply 5
Original post by Locyce
They will be a couple of simple ones. But there will be one really hard one! Possibly worth 3 marks.
Stars? I hope you're right, imagine a lovely 6 marker on it!

Not so keen on stars :frown:.
I've revised P2 now, I haven't done P1 at all and same with P3 pretty much :/.
I think I can do P1 now in a hour and manage P3 tomorrow morning alongside with a P1 recap.

What do you predict for the 6 markers for P2?

I haven't really done any past paper, but it could be so many things tbh.

- Factors that affect the current or electricity output from a photocell.
or even - How does a photocell work and what factors could maximise the current output of a photocell?
- How does passive solar heating work?
- How is a current generated inside a dynamo and how can you increase the current from a dynamo?
- How do power/nuclear stations generate electricity?
- Calculations on cost of electrical appliances and possibly relation to off-peak electricity, how could it save the cost? (Applying knowledge question)
- The transmission of electricity along the National Grid (advantages) and why high voltage is used (explanation of effects of current in terms of energy loss)
- Advantages and disadvantages of nuclear power stations
- Effects of ionisation and link to the three types of radiation
- Uses of either types of radiations and which one be used or something like that
- Comparison of the radiation uses e.g. gamma for killing cancer cells or non-destructive testing
- Manned spacecraft
- Comet's speed, orbit and possibly about the tail lol (ice core melting etc)
- Universal theories
- Red shift and link to galaxies expanding
- Life of a star
2015 mark scheme??
feeling good about p123, should be a nice exam :smile: i want a six marker on the life cycle of a star since i don't think it's ever been asked (and i know it well lmao)

are there any equations we need to know that we don't get on the formula sheet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found that quite challenging? More because of the overload of data and things you could write than not having enough to write about though... What did people get for the radioactive sources? I got something like gamma, alpha, beta, gamma
Original post by HouseOfRichman
I found that quite challenging? More because of the overload of data and things you could write than not having enough to write about though... What did people get for the radioactive sources? I got something like gamma, alpha, beta, gamma

i got that too but people are saying the last one was alpha and gamma?

overall a very good paper, messed up a few times (especially with the calculations which i'm supposed to be good at haha) but hoping for a* here
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
i got that too but people are saying the last one was alpha and gamma?

overall a very good paper, messed up a few times (especially with the calculations which i'm supposed to be good at haha) but hoping for a* here

I got the same for the radiation one but the double glazing one didnt make much sense because double glazing is supposed to stop heat transfer but instead it allowed it in the question? I just wrote about the different methods of heat transfer
Posted on another thread too but for calculations I got:

1800J for wasted energy
60% efficiency

60 degrees for water and 40 degrees for plastic beaker

7.83A for the highest current (oven)

2m/s^2 for acceleration
280,000J for workdone and 56,000 watts for power

540p for the kwh question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grogan_OG
I got the same for the radiation one but the double glazing one didnt make much sense because double glazing is supposed to stop heat transfer but instead it allowed it in the question? I just wrote about the different methods of heat transfer

double glazing stops conduction, doesn't it? i just started talking about how conduction works lmao

Original post by mxskaan

Posted from TSR Mobile

well **** then
forgot to convert to kilowatts 😧
Reply 13
Original post by HouseOfRichman

I got the same.

I thought the P3 section was easier than last years, how about you ?
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
double glazing stops conduction, doesn't it? i just started talking about how conduction works lmao

well **** then
forgot to convert to kilowatts 😧

Aww yeah you had to convert 1500w into 1.5kw but you'll get marks for method :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Grogan_OG

For the double glazing one I said how the warm particles transfer the heat energy to the window but this energy cannot be conducted to the other pane of glass due to the air gap. Therefore no/ little energy will be transferred to the cold air particles, keeping the inside warm.
Original post by mxskaan

1800J for wasted energy
60% efficiency

2m/s^2 for acceleration

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got all the same apart from kWh question but thats probably my error :smile: I got something like 14p! Oh an I got 560,000J, again probably my error
Im so happy it was SO good
Original post by mxskaan

1800J for wasted energy
60% efficiency

2m/s^2 for acceleration

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 140,000J for the work done as I worked out the distance was 1/2 x 10 x 10 so 50. Then multiplied that by the force (2800) to get 140,000J? I may be wrong idk
What are the predictions for grade boundaries?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending