The Student Room Group

Medicine: poor GCSEs grades extenuating circumstances

Hi so I am coming towards the end of my GCSE examinations, last year I was only able to sit two exams due to being in hospital, prior to that I was constantly in and out of hospital throughout year 10 and 11 hence the reason why I am sitting my remaining GCSE exams this year, so far I think i have got

A*-R.S(short course)
A-Physics
A-Maths
B-Biology
B-Chemistry
B-English Language
B-History
B-Economics
C-French (sat this whilst in hospital)
C-core science( sat this whilst in hospital)

I have only had 5 months to prepare for my 3 sciences due to the school not letting me sit triple, thus i had to opt for IGCSE triple science and hire a private tutor to take me through the course, additionally for all the exams I am sitting this year I have had no actual lessons.

I have countless medical documents detailing my illnesses

i really want to study medicine, do you think i will be able to get at least one offer if my AS grades are 4A's and A2 predictions 4A*, which uni's do you think I should apply to obviously oxford/cambridge is out of the equation

thanks.
Reply 1
I'm sure they'll overlook the GCSE's providing you do well in AS and A2
Original post by _MAT_
I'm sure they'll overlook the GCSE's providing you do well in AS and A2

Thanks, do you think I have a shot at applying to places such as Exeter/durham?
Reply 3
Original post by maths_geek234
Thanks, do you think I have a shot at applying to places such as Exeter/durham?

Can't say for certain as i'm not an interviewer :smile:, simplest answer is ask them yourself, write them an email and see what they say.
Medicine is very competitive, all the posts I see about jobs on GCSE are about Medicine.
The crucial subjects I'd aim for A/A* Grades are for the Sciences and Maths.
On the other hand, If you smash your A-levels, then they'd probably overlook it.
Reply 5
Providing your circumstances if you really do step up for A levels I think it will be perfectly understandable.

Quick Reply

Latest