The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
Not for a shotgun, you don't actually need "good reason" to own a shotgun.

Shall I rephrase the question?
Is a firearm expensive for an average earner?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is not what Ive been told.

One gun under £100 is not representative of the vast majority of guns that usually cost over £500 or more. Certain brands such as Purdey start at £6000 or more, so yes, quite unaffordable for your average person
Original post by QE2
The "self-defence" claim is a myth.
Studies in the US have shown that people who keep a gun in the home are several times more likely to die from gunshot than those without guns.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-kellermann.htm

It's certainly not suitable to be posted on the forum, but if you believe the argument about self defence then you should look up Jim Jefferies argument about guns.

The summary is: If you are a responsible gun owner, you keep your guns locked away and unloaded so they cannot be accidentally used and cause an accident. If your guns are locked away and unloaded, they are not readily available to you for use in self defence.

If you DO have your gun readily available for self defence, you're probably either going to end up with your kid shooting you or you shooting someone you shouldn't have.

Also, given the topic is about assault rifles, unless you are worried that a militia is going to try and overrun your home I fail to see how this cannot be anything other than complete overkill for the purpose of defending yourself.
Is £500 really unaffordable to the "average" person? Lets be honest, anyone spending £6000 on a gun is not buying it as a functional, working weapon/tool.
Reply 83
Original post by JK11
the ideal would be no guns. but you can go ahead and try removing 350 million guns from people who arent gonna hand em over
How about just not selling any more?
There are already enough guns in public habds to arm every man, woman and child in the US. Why do you need more?
Reply 84
Everything you need to know.

[video="youtube;0rR9IaXH1M0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0[/video]
Well what you were told is wrong.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/start-shooting/how-to-get-shotgun-certificate-licence-32358

Do you really believe £500 is unaffordable to the average person? You can easily purchase a firearm for under £500 and I will be more than happy to provide you with the evidence to support this.

Mentioning Purdeys when talking about guns is like mentioning Ferraris when talking about cars. But you aren't going to say cars are unaffordable are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elivercury
My entire UK firearms knowledge comes from hot fuzz and if it has taught me anything it is that country folk carry a crapload of guns.

You would be right. The countryside is filled with guns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol. I've been clay shooting for 15 years and I've never seen a Purdey outside a shop. Anything worth over 3k is rare, most stuff you see would be roughly in the 600-2000 range.
Reply 88
Original post by JK11
Im not talking about the data itself. Im talking about the representation of the data. It's designed to evoke an emotion. The guardian clearly has an agenda.
How dare they present evidence of tens of thousands of unnecessary and preventable deaths in a way that evokes emotion.

The only way to look at the brutal slaughter of innocent children (for example) is entirely dispassionately. Anyone who gets upset by it is weird and not to be trusted.
Reply 89
Original post by JK11
yes but now we are on slippery slope of which the bottom is the ban of all guns.
"if the dude had a knife instead of a pistol he would've killed even less people." etc etc etc
Which is why rational, civilised people advocate the banning of all guns and restrictions on the purchase and carrying of knives. Which is what we have here. Working just fine.
You would be right. The countryside is filled with guns.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm willing to bet very few of them are assault rifles though. I can't imagine they'd have much practical value while hunting and whatnot.
Reply 91
Original post by VV Cephei A
The FBI definition of mass shooting, which is the definition used to support statistics elsewhere in the world, is >4 people killed in a single incident. Leftist news outlets have now expanded this definition to include all people injured among other things, giving us ridiculous statistics such as 300 "mass shootings" per year. Most of these incidents are in fact nothing more than everyday gang-on-gang shooting incidences, restricted to small urban centres, which don't even make the news and liberals don't care in the slightest about. The plummeting murder rate also tells us that these incidences are decreasing year on year in the US, while concealed carry permits skyrocket.

The actual number of psychopath spree-killings of innocent people, such as this nightclub shooting or Sandy Hook style school shootings, number in the single digits per year. It's easy to mislead unintelligent readers by sensationalist statistics, but a little digging and you'll find the reality is nothing like what is portrayed in the MSM.
When you are used to almost no shootings at at all, more than four in one go does seem like an awful lot, I must admit.
However, I guess that when shootings of more than four people happen on an almost daily basis, you must get a little jaded.
Reply 92
No. But it will drastically reduce the number of avoidable deaths.

Especially children.
There are over 60 under 14s accidentally shot and killed every year in the US. All unnecessary and avoidable. Even if they are the only ones saved, it will have been worth it.
My entire UK firearms knowledge comes from hot fuzz and if it has taught me anything it is that country folk carry a crapload of guns.

And that they also murder people to appear perfect for annual competitions.
Reply 94
Original post by Chakede
same argument can be made against semi-auto rifles also.

having said that the stats of all gun killings show that gun owning society in usa is a failed experiment ie there have been more shooting killings of ppl in usa than american solders in war zones in last 30 years
Yes! I remember seeing this stat.

It actually shows that since 1968, more Americans have been killed by guns in the USA, than were killed in every war the USA has ever fought!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gun-deaths-since-jfk-assassination_us_56a903c6e4b0f6b7d54485c4
Original post by Vikingninja
And that they also murder people to appear perfect for annual competitions.

I did hear this. It's why I refuse to leave the city - I'm afraid of all the gun crime.
Reply 96
Original post by L i b
That's actually quite sensible. The US has a lot of problems with provision of mental health treatment.

I'm always baffled on threads like these when people come out with stuff like about guns being "banned" in Britain. Maybe it's just being a bit rural that I grew up around guns, but for pity's sake - you'd think they'd have at least the faintest realisation that there are a vast quantity of legally held firearms in the UK.

It's one thing to suggest there isn't a single handgun in the UK (untrue, but at least understandable - I know of various people with Section 5 exemptions for things, not to mention the standard exemptions) but really - to suggest no guns in private hands? Mad.
By "banned", people generally mean that it is illegal to buy or own firearms without the appropriate licenses and conditions. "Restricted" is probably more accurate. Private possession of handguns is effectively banned.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Lol. I've been clay shooting for 15 years and I've never seen a Purdey outside a shop. Anything worth over 3k is rare, most stuff you see would be roughly in the 600-2000 range.

Okay, I've had three responses to this post now, I think I've got the message.
Reply 98
Not for a shotgun, you don't actually need "good reason" to own a shotgun.
A shotgun certificate won’t be given or renewed if the chief officer of police has a reason that you shouldn’t be allowed to have a shotgun under the Firearms Act. Or if they don’t think you have a good reason to have, buy or acquire a shotgun. - gov.uk

It's just insane people still believe that you don't need good reason to obtain a shotgun certificate.
You can't legally own one without a certificate, just in case you were wondering.
I'm willing to bet very few of them are assault rifles though. I can't imagine they'd have much practical value while hunting and whatnot.

You would be correct. But to have a semi auto assault rifle styled rifle it would need to be chambered to .22 which is useless for hunting anything other than maybe rabbits.

However AR-15s are actually very adaptable weapons and can be used quite proficiently for hunting purposes if we could have them in higher calibres. They are also excellent competition weapons due to their lightweight capabilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending