The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smartalan73
How many marks do people reckon you'd get if you just did the first part of question 1, like proving it for n=1,2,3 and disapproving it for n=4?

Zacken reckons 11.
can someone tell me what i would get for this?

Spoiler

Reply 1422
Original post by jacobe
Wait so even though I got the right answer for the previous 2 as well I wouldn't have got any marks? What about the whole "they will give you credit even if you don't use their method" thing? Or is that completely void if they use the word hence. **** I feel sooooo stupid now. I was really happy about that because one of you guys mentioned it the day before about to integrate arcsinhx.

It's completely void if they use the word 'hence', I'm afraid. Still, if you did the first two parts with the intended method, then you likely picked up a good 13-ish marks?

Original post by smartalan73
How many marks do people reckon you'd get if you just did the first part of question 1, like proving it for n=1,2,3 and disapproving it for n=4?

10-12 marks, maybe?
Reply 1423
Original post by computerkid
can someone tell me what i would get for this?

Spoiler

Q1) 20
Q2) 20
Q3) 17
Q4) 18
Q8) 20

Not sure what the point of your question is... there's no way that that's ever not going to be a 1, it might scrape an S if you're lucky.
Original post by Zacken
It's completely void if they use the word 'hence', I'm afraid. Still, if you did the first two parts with the intended method, then you likely picked up a good 13-ish marks?

10-12 marks, maybe?

Naw I used a different method for those 2 as well. Oh well. Dat sucks.

The last integral was quite fun because when you did it by parts you got

I=some algegra-I-intregral of sqrt(1+X^2) which I found to be quite nice, sucks that I would get no marks for it :smile:
Opinions on II 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Zacken Can you please grade mine too? thnx:smile:

Q1) Full
Q2) Full
Q3) Full except for the sin(-4) which I put negative value
Q4) Only did part i)
Q7) Pretty sure got it all right other than the last part which asked for an example
Q8) Full other than the last part. Directly substituted Un= 1/sqrt 5 (blah blah) and real close to simplifying but couldn't finish up.
Q13) Only did i)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Can people start panicking for STEP II tomorrow? Seriously, why is everyone so calm? You lot are insane. :rofl:

Smart tactic to lower the grade boundaries lol.
How are you guys feeling about STEP II? S grade incoming? Let's do this! Round 2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the best ya'll for STEP II tomoz
Definitely an easier paper than average (sorry for those who are hoping for lower boundaries).

In fact, 1-3 were very easy for STEP standards.
Anyone know if this would get me a 2?

Q1: Did the first part fine, but for the next two bits I got 300+/-root301 which is backwards and for the 7's I got ((7^7 +1)^3 - (7^4)(1+7^7 + 7^14)) which I think is correct but not expanded out?

Q9: I got what was asked and then for when there was more of the rod after the pole I got -ve for the cos bit

Q10: Got the value for e correct, didn't know how to deduce that e<1/3 so left it out and moved on to find lambda and e where I got 2+root5 and -2+root5

Q11: Showed that x satisfied that long expression then differentiated to find the value of x which was the same as required but was running out of time so didn't do the 2nd diff to prove it was a max and moved on and subbed it into the expression and got a quadratic in cos with u, g and h which solved by completing the square but didn't look nice and can't remember it haha. Ran out of time for the last part
(edited 7 years ago)
@Zacken

Hi, would you mind helping me estimate my score for the questions I attempted?

1) Quite sure it is correct. For the proving part, I separated the case n=1,2,3,4 and proved one by one.
2) Did up to differentiation and stopped, not even sure whether the differentiation was correct as it was pretty messy.
3) I think the last 2 graphs were correctly drawn, may made slight mistake in first graph from -3 to -pi(or more), and did't draw for -3 to -pi for second graph I think.
9) First part proved. Second part got the same proof as I forgot to consider the change in frictional force direction.
10) Quite sure it was correct.
11) Results were proven.
12) First 2 parts were correct(where they both shared the same answer). Didn't do last part.
Reply 1433
Original post by shamika
Definitely an easier paper than average (sorry for those who are hoping for lower boundaries).

In fact, 1-3 were very easy for STEP standards.

Very much agree. Could be a challenger for 2010 or 2013 as 'easiest paper'. Pity I didn't do as well as I should've!
Reply 1434
Original post by thebeast123

Q1) 20
Q2) 4
Q3) 15
Q9) 17
Q10) 20
Q11) 20
Q12) 8

100-ish

Original post by Swifty139

Q1) 16/17
Q9) Are you saying you got a full? 20.
Q10) 18
Q11) 15

Definitely a 2, maybe even a 1.
Good luck for tomorrow everyone :smile:. Let's ace it!!!

Also any last minute advice/tips/suggestions anyone?
Anyone have the paper yet?
Original post by Zacken
Q1) 20
Q2) 4
Q3) 15
Q9) 17
Q10) 20
Q11) 20
Q12) 8

100-ish

Thanks @Zacken!! Just to double check, can I get that high for Q9? Got the second part totally wrong and I got the same proof as first part. Thanks again!!
Reply 1438
Original post by raff97
Anyone have the paper yet?

I've posted it twice before on the thread. :tongue:

It's here.

Edit to add: Solution thread here
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Very much agree. Could be a challenger for 2010 or 2013 as 'easiest paper'. Pity I didn't do as well as I should've!

I feel like it was first exam nerves for me. I could've upped my marks by at least 15 to be at an S if I realised sooner that you had to choose your own constants in Question 2.

Oh well, I hope the same doesn't happen on the exam tomorrow. I hope I can perform much better, and not let exam conditions get to me.

Btw, any last minute advice (like the user before me asked) ? Any Zacken wisdom you could throw at us? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending