The Student Room Group

Do I need extra time?

So basically, throughout exam season I have been more aware of the fact that I struggle to understand what a question is asking me to write about.

It's not the fact that I can't read, it's the fact that I'll read a question and the words go straight over my head, then I'll read it again and then I may struggle with actually individual reading words that I'll have to read the same word again to understand what the word is. It sounds stupid but it's hard to explain.

It came to my attention today especially in my Chemistry exam because I had to read the same questions 6 - 8 times to understand what information it is giving me and what it wants me to do, regardless of how small or big the question was. One question had one A4 page full of information which I had to read at least 8 times to understand what I was being given. I probably wasted 5 minutes pondering about that question and as a result I finished just on time but had no time to check my answers.

I haven't had any attention in terms of learning difficulties, mainly because my results don't show that but I really think I can do better with extra time.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did think that but I always enter the exam hall with no pressure or doubts. However the pressure probably builds up without me knowing as I progress through the exam.

I guess I have the whole of the summer to read to practice my information retrieval efficiency. Thanks!
Science is complicated and at higher levels it's not unexpected that you may need to read the question a few times and consider it. I don't really think this indicates you need extra time tbh.

I think proper exam technique might help you a great deal. When you start an exam:

Fill in the front sheet etc. check it twice for silly errors.

Read through the entire paper without answering anything.

Choose the easiest question available and answer that first. Move onto more difficult questions as you progress, saving the hardest for last.

You'll be amazed how a question you thought was impossible during your first read-through seems much more approachable once you've answered the rest of the paper and hit your stride.
Reply 3
You might have dyslexia. I got a pretty bad case of the dyslexics, and have always struggled with the same thing you have. So much so that i've never read a book and avoid reading at all costs. Takes a lot of mental effort to read & understand at the same time. Although, doesn't mean your not smart, just meas your better at other stuff. For example, my information processing (reading) is slower then 96% of people my age, but my problem solving skills and logical reasoning are in the top 3% of people my age.

Anyway, go and have your self checked. I think you get some free dyslexia tests before you start paying, im not 100% sure. If you do get told your dyslexic, you can apply for extra time in exams and the use of a laptop in exams. I got the 25% extra time and the laptop and my own room some times (all super helpful). you also get a lot of free resources from the government (i got a laptop and printer), and a lot of helpful software and support while you study. It also gives you piece of mind and will be much easier to manage now that you know what it is. Dyslexia is a spectrum, so you may have it a little. Also there are lots of different types. Very interesting stuff.

Also, I wrote a blog post for milkround about being a dyslexic student. Maybe see if it helps: http://advice.milkround.com/how-to-survive-university-as-a-dyslexic-student

(if i can write for a fancy website like milkround im sure you can over come it too!)

If your not dyslexic then please disregard everything i say. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by BTAnonymous
So basically, throughout exam season I have been more aware of the fact that I struggle to understand what a question is asking me to write about.

It's not the fact that I can't read, it's the fact that I'll read a question and the words go straight over my head, then I'll read it again and then I may struggle with actually individual reading words that I'll have to read the same word again to understand what the word is. It sounds stupid but it's hard to explain.

It came to my attention today especially in my Chemistry exam because I had to read the same questions 6 - 8 times to understand what information it is giving me and what it wants me to do, regardless of how small or big the question was. One question had one A4 page full of information which I had to read at least 8 times to understand what I was being given. I probably wasted 5 minutes pondering about that question and as a result I finished just on time but had no time to check my answers.

I haven't had any attention in terms of learning difficulties, mainly because my results don't show that but I really think I can do better with extra time.

My sister got extra time for (what sounds like) something very similar and her grades improved from Cs and Ds to As and Bs. That said, she herself thinks getting extra time was unfair as a lot of people do struggle with this and just figure out methods to get on with it because it's a reading comprehension issue.

There's not much point applying for extra time now (if like me you have a handful of exams left) because they won't be able to do anything in time, but it might be worth looking into for next year. I also find myself re-reading questions many times to understand them, and exam stress makes it a whole lot worse; personally, if I can't understand something the first read I take a breath, then use a ruler or sheet to block out the rest of the paragraph and read through the data line-by-line. This often helps, I think because you're forced to focus only on that data. If that doesn't do it, I'll highlight key information or quickly re-write the key notes as I go through.

It does take longer doing that, but they're just a couple of things that have helped me out and might be worth a try for these last few exams :smile:
Just get yourself assessed, then you know either way. If they find you are, then put in a claim,although its too late now. It could be handy later on when you get to A levels.
Original post by CaptErin
My sister got extra time for (what sounds like) something very similar and her grades improved from Cs and Ds to As and Bs. That said, she herself thinks getting extra time was unfair as a lot of people do struggle with this and just figure out methods to get on with it because it's a reading comprehension issue.

There's not much point applying for extra time now (if like me you have a handful of exams left) because they won't be able to do anything in time, but it might be worth looking into for next year. I also find myself re-reading questions many times to understand them, and exam stress makes it a whole lot worse; personally, if I can't understand something the first read I take a breath, then use a ruler or sheet to block out the rest of the paragraph and read through the data line-by-line. This often helps, I think because you're forced to focus only on that data. If that doesn't do it, I'll highlight key information or quickly re-write the key notes as I go through.

It does take longer doing that, but they're just a couple of things that have helped me out and might be worth a try for these last few exams :smile:

Yeah, I was thinking about applying for extra time for my AS levels. And that sounds like some good advice which I'll try for my remaining exams! Thank you very much! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest