The Student Room Group

taking a break from mini pill... how long after sex can i stop

I have wanted to take a break from the mini pill... i take desogestrel everyday without breaks and i am getting side effects such as fatigue and depression that i think is linked.

How many days after sex should i take the pill till its safe to stop as I've herd that sperm can hang around in your system for a while.

I've been taking it for three days after sex, is this long enough to be fully covered to stop? (Of course we will use other types of contraception for when we do have sex)

Thanks!
Original post by Saskia00
I have wanted to take a break from the mini pill... i take desogestrel everyday without breaks and i am getting side effects such as fatigue and depression that i think is linked.

How many days after sex should i take the pill till its safe to stop as I've herd that sperm can hang around in your system for a while.

I've been taking it for three days after sex, is this long enough to be fully covered to stop? (Of course we will use other types of contraception for when we do have sex)

Thanks!

I left it about a week before stopping to be safe.
Original post by Saskia00

Progesterone-only pills work by delaying ovulation. A week after the sex will be enough to be certain that no sperm will still be around.
Reply 3
Original post by unprinted
Progesterone-only pills work by delaying ovulation. A week after the sex will be enough to be certain that no sperm will still be around.

Thanks so much

Quick Reply

Latest