The Student Room Group

Re: Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Tectonic activity & Hazards (2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zack J Speller
If it asks for seismic processes can you only talk about earthquakes or can you talk about examples like the himalayas. I'm really confused about the difference between seismic and tectonic activity.

Tectonic activity causes stresses in the rocks which is seismic processes. It's the convection currents that are moving the plates/crusts to form them. Like the Himalayas is formed because the continental crust is pushing together and this movement is caused by tectonics . Hope that helps ☺️
I'm really confused about life. I think I'm having a senior moment.

When talking about extrusive activity, would it be relevant to literally go through EVERY volcano? In my opinion it's not, but someone in my class says they're going to go through them all.

I'm really confused about how to structure this and it's tomorrow.
Original post by Lauraaa898
Tectonic activity causes stresses in the rocks which is seismic processes. It's the convection currents that are moving the plates/crusts to form them. Like the Himalayas is formed because the continental crust is pushing together and this movement is caused by tectonics . Hope that helps ☺️

So if in the exam they ask for how seismic processes create distinctive landscapes, I should mention things like the himalayas, mid-atlantic ridge ect...... Not just earthquakes.
Reply 183
can anyone tell me anything about the deccan plateau.
I only know basics like its in india, its area size, that is was formed from 29 lava flows over around 2 mill years from hotspot under reunion island in indian ocean

if i had already said how lava plateau formed would that be enough as an example or not?
Original post by EdwaJenn10
I'm really confused about life. I think I'm having a senior moment.

When talking about extrusive activity, would it be relevant to literally go through EVERY volcano? In my opinion it's not, but someone in my class says they're going to go through them all.

I'm really confused about how to structure this and it's tomorrow.

No 2-3
Original post by Raisa97
No 2-3

I was personally going to use the Hawaiian hotspot and the Yellowstone hotspot/caldera (obviously depending on the question). Would it be better to discuss how volcanoes then form here (like Kilauea and Mauna Loa) and compare them to Yellowstone?
I've literally no clue what I'm doing anymore
Original post by Lauraaa898
I've just done that and it took me 20 minutes. Basically don't have enough time to do it!

I'm thinking of not writing about calderas, normal and reverse faults in my report just so I've got enough time

Yeah we are going to be exhausted after this exam! I'm not talking about calderas either.
The landscapes I'm talking about are Super volcanoes, flood basalts, geysers/fumeroles/hotsprings and shield/strato volcano for extrusive.
sills/plugs/dykes for intrusive
rift valley and faults for seismic tensional
fold mountains and reverse faults for extensional
The only problem i have is that extrusive has so much to say and so I'm worried its going to be an unbalanced essay
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pcjacob
Does anyone have a Geofactsheet or Geofile reference to be used with the East African valley?

Geofile 638 talks about rift valleys- not sure if it includes EARV
Has anyone included information on secondary processes such as erosion by glaciers/wind/water?
Original post by AidanGadd
Has anyone included information on secondary processes such as erosion by glaciers/wind/water?

I have discussed fairy chimneys in capdocia, turkey that have been formed by weathering. The ash is protected by the lava on a strato volcano,basically. I have just used this as an example of weathering creating a 'distinctive landscpae'
Original post by meganmeganmegan
I have discussed fairy chimneys in capdocia, turkey that have been formed by weathering. The ash is protected by the lava on a strato volcano,basically. I have just used this as an example of weathering creating a 'distinctive landscpae'

Have you separated that section under a different heading, or is it mentioned within a section?
Original post by AidanGadd
Have you separated that section under a different heading, or is it mentioned within a section?

I have included it in with volcanic extrusive because its on a volcano and its to do with lava outside of the crust
I have included it in with volcanic extrusive because its on a volcano and its to do with lava outside of the crust

Okay great thanks, ill probably leave out my section on weathering then as I will be pushed for time and just add in a sentence or two in where it is relevant.
Reply 193
Can someone please explain to me the Dartmoor Tors example.
Original post by ZackSpeller
So if in the exam they ask for how seismic processes create distinctive landscapes, I should mention things like the himalayas, mid-atlantic ridge ect...... Not just earthquakes.

The exam isn't really on earthquakes. It's about what landscapes are made so you'd talk about rift valleys, fold mountains, fault scarps, transform faults and so on
Yeah we are going to be exhausted after this exam! I'm not talking about calderas either.
The landscapes I'm talking about are Super volcanoes, flood basalts, geysers/fumeroles/hotsprings and shield/strato volcano for extrusive.
sills/plugs/dykes for intrusive
rift valley and faults for seismic tensional
fold mountains and reverse faults for extensional
The only problem i have is that extrusive has so much to say and so I'm worried its going to be an unbalanced essay

Well there are more volcanic features really so it's hard not to produce an unbalanced essay. Just got to try and get all done in an hour and half which is what worries me!
Reply 196
What theories and models are you guys referring to?
Reply 197
Geofile 638 talks about rift valleys- not sure if it includes EARV

Thank you, it does have info on EARV
Reply 198
We have been told to do sub headings as questions. Anyone else doing it this way??
Guys for volcanic activity is this enough!
Exstrusive- plateau, shield volcanoes, composite and cinder volcanoes.
Intrusive- sills,dykes,plutons and batholiths
I had to cut some others out because I've been timing myself and there's too much to complete in timed conditions, so is this enough for volcanic 😰😰😰

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending