The Student Room Group

Am I a bit old to be considering a new career as a Civil Engineer?

Hi all.

The title pretty much sums up my concerns. I am 35 years old and do not come from an engineering background. I am in need of a complete career change and what appeals to me the most is Civil Engineering. I am aware that I will be starting from the bottom again and have accepted this. My fear is that I won't get much of a look in due to my age. But then again everyone has to start somewhere and 35 isn't that old.....is it? Or am I just kidding myself?

Routes in I have considered are:

1) Degree
2) Apprenticeship
3) Open Uni degree followed by Msc in Civil Engineering

I'm not sure if option 3 is worth it or even feasible but just showing my thoughts.
For what it's worth, I come from a finance background.

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts any of you may have.

Thank you in advance.

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to take an apprenticeship at your age? Happy to be corrected, but I believe they are age limited (or at least the government funding for them is). Assuming that is correct you are down to two options.

Can you take 3-4 years to do a degree financially? I say 3-4, as I know that certain engineering bodies require a Masters to achieve chartered engineer status, so really that would mean a 4 year course.

If you can't then the open uni is your only option and would probably take you 5-9 years assuming you continue to work. A big commitment for sure.

What has prompted the career change? I'm afraid that I can't comment on any discrimination you may receive. I would like to think that employers would jump at the chance to have someone with so much experience for so cheap, but then I don't hire.
Reply 2
Thank you for your rapid response. I believe there are a (very!) few apprenticeships that are open to all ages but again, this only means open to apply to. Whether I would be looked at seriously because of my age is another matter.
'What has prompted the career change?' The desire to do something else completely. I am sick of finance. Redundancy is looming and I will take it voluntarily. As for the affordability of taking a degree.... well who can afford it these days. I would make that side of it work, but I would hate to go through all of that and then get nowhere in the job market.

Thank you again for commenting.
Reply 3
Original post by Hike
Hi all.

The title pretty much sums up my concerns. I am 35 years old and do not come from an engineering background. I am in need of a complete career change and what appeals to me the most is Civil Engineering. I am aware that I will be starting from the bottom again and have accepted this. My fear is that I won't get much of a look in due to my age. But then again everyone has to start somewhere and 35 isn't that old.....is it? Or am I just kidding myself?

Routes in I have considered are:

1) Degree
2) Apprenticeship
3) Open Uni degree followed by Msc in Civil Engineering

I'm not sure if option 3 is worth it or even feasible but just showing my thoughts.
For what it's worth, I come from a finance background.

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts any of you may have.

Thank you in advance.

There's a mature CivEng applicant somewhere else in this forum. I'll try to link to his thread when I get a chance later.

Do you already have a degree? If so you won't get student finance. So can you self fund options 2 or 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi,
You are not at all too old at all, but then I would say that ;-)

I've done option 3, started a Maths degree at age 37 and have just graduated at 44. I have a conditional offer (which I should be fine with) to do a full-time MSc in Oceanography, which was my long-term goal. I've worked for 20 years in IT as a programmer and can't wait to leave!

Advantages:
* You get to see if you enjoy the subject (OU have a B.Eng (Hons), which I'm sure you've looked at), and actual study, without committing yourself to giving up work, and get to pay piecemeal. I can only speak for my subject, but in general the quality of materials and support was excellent, and I really enjoyed the course as a whole.
* Studying while working is a nice compromise - you don't give up your salary, and I found that studying helped get me through doing a job I did not love.
* My impression is that OU students are well-regarded for post-grad studies, as you have already proved your self-motivation and ability to work unsupported. If you're prepared to give up a successful career to study something, then you are pretty committed.

Disadvantages:
* the cost of OU courses has increased massively (I was on transitional arrangements which fixed the module costs at the old prices. Not sure I could afford to do it now...).
* Studying and working full-time is *hard*, especially if you have a family. Loads of people do it every year, but it does take effort. Although the level 1 and 2 courses are easier, level 3 are pretty demanding.
* It will take you 6 years, most likely, so you wouldn't be doing a Masters until your are 41 or so. But still another 20+ years of work ahead of you, possibly!
* I don't know how suitable the OU Engineering degree is for a Civil Engineering masters. Best bet is probably to contact the applications office for any courses that appeal and ask.

Feel free to ask any questions or DM me...
Reply 5
Thank you both for commenting.

Yes I do have a degree already (in an unrelated and useless subject). Self funding through a brick uni would be very very difficult for me. Through OU it would be achievable. I live in England which makes OU more expensive which I find highly irritating but what can you do.

elw71,

It is so inspiring to read of people like you. Do you mind me asking what it is you plan to do once you have your MSc? You are right, I have checked out the OU BEng and I like the look of it. Your comment re suitability for a Civil Eng MSc is valid though. I will have to contact a few universities and ask them.
When I mentioned the affordability of a degree, I was more referring to your personal circumstances. I can relate as I am getting out of engineering and into teaching (much easier incidentally). It means for a year I am going to require my wife to support me, but we're fortunate that without children this is doable.

At any rate, I'm afraid I don't really have much more advice to offer, it's a huge decision and I don't envy you having to make it. I am assuming you've looked at related fields already which would not require such dramatic retraining?

I wonder if you could manage to get any work experience as a civil engineer to help confirm you're making the right decision?
Reply 7
Eliverycury,

Looking at some sort of work experience is on my to do list. If I remain working in finance whilst studying this will make getting related experience harder but not impossible. Is your move from engineering to teaching for a better wage? What type of engineer are you? If you don't mind me asking.
Reply 8
Original post by Hike
xxx.

I found the other thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3710863

Not quite your situation but a good story (and outcome) nevertheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
jneill,

Thank you kindly. I will certainly have a read through that. I do appreciate you taking the time to find and post that for me.
Reply 10
Original post by Hike
Thank you both for commenting.

elw71,

It is so inspiring to read of people like you. Do you mind me asking what it is you plan to do once you have your MSc? You are right, I have checked out the OU BEng and I like the look of it. Your comment re suitability for a Civil Eng MSc is valid though. I will have to contact a few universities and ask them.

My plan is to apply to do a PhD, probably also at Southampton; but I think the MSc is also a good grounding for people wanting to go into non-academic careers. I imagine a Civil Engineering MSc will be geared very much towards going into work, but it's not a subject I know much about.

The other thing to consider is that you can do credit transfer between degrees, certainly from a brick Uni to the OU, and I would assume vice versa? So if you did a couple of years with the OU you might then be able to miss the first year of a full-time course.

Good luck and please keep us posted with whatever you decide. If you do go for it, prepare for a long but rewarding journey. At times it felt like I'd been doing my degree forever, it's hard to take in that it's over and all the work has paid off!
Reply 11
elw71,

You raise a good point re credit transfer. I know I can't transfer any credit from my previous degree as I completed it too long ago to be consider for the BEng (if I have read it correctly) but certainly worth considering OU to brick uni options.

Congratulations on completing your degree! I wish you the best of luck in your future studies and career.
Original post by Hike
Eliverycury,

Looking at some sort of work experience is on my to do list. If I remain working in finance whilst studying this will make getting related experience harder but not impossible. Is your move from engineering to teaching for a better wage? What type of engineer are you? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm a chemical engineer and work in O&G, so it's definitely not a wage related move. It's more of a work/life balance and seeking more interesting/active work type move. Realistically I'll be taking a pretty large blow to my salary, although I suspect not quite so much as you will.
Reply 13
Original post by Elivercury
I'm a chemical engineer and work in O&G, so it's definitely not a wage related move. It's more of a work/life balance and seeking more interesting/active work type move. Realistically I'll be taking a pretty large blow to my salary, although I suspect not quite so much as you will.

Don't be fooled by the word 'Finance'. Everybody in finance works long hard hours, not everybody is paid rock star wages.

I applaud you for taking a pay cut to go into teaching. Ver noble. I know many teachers and know how hard they work. It is a far cry from the public image of short hours and long holidays. Secondary teachers at least anyway.
Reply 14
If anyone else has any input or advice on my situation it would be appreciated.
Original post by Hike
Don't be fooled by the word 'Finance'. Everybody in finance works long hard hours, not everybody is paid rock star wages.

I applaud you for taking a pay cut to go into teaching. Ver noble. I know many teachers and know how hard they work. It is a far cry from the public image of short hours and long holidays. Secondary teachers at least anyway.

I'm hoping the pay cut will work out in terms of benefits to my work life balance and give me a far more engaging career. If it doesn't I'll probably go back to engineering once the market picks up. Nothing especially noble about it.
Reply 16
Not sure how applicable this is to your situation but my brother made a career switch from an office job at United Utilities to an electrical engineer when he was in his early 30's.

From what I've gathered, he did an HND in electrical engineering at a local college for 2 years whilst working. For the 1st year he self-funded but after that he managed to get a job in a local engineering company and they took him on and funded his 2nd year. He's still with this company and apparently they are eventually going to pay for him to do a masters part-time. The company he's working for is only a relatively small local one but the fact that they're paying for him to get further qualifications will probably help him get better work down the road. Not to mention the work experience he's gained.

So for what it's worth, have you also considered alternative qualifications such as HNDs? As they are often cheaper than doing a degree and can provide a foot in the door, so to speak, which could lead to other opportunities.
Might be better to look at conversion masters rather than bachelors degrees, I'm not sure if they exist for civil if you don't have another form of engineering or mathematical background though. (You can do it for Computer Science though, if you'd be interested in that)
Reply 18
@goodwinning

I had considered HND's but thought that due to my age I was better off just getting a move on and going straight for the degree

@Helloworld_95

I have only just found out about these conversion courses a week or two ago. I will look into it further, though computer science is not something that I would be looking to pursue.

Thanks all for your comments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Hike
xxx

Just a tip: if you want to reply to individuals you can also tag them so they get a notification from TSR when you mention them.

It work's like this @Hike - the @ symbol brings up a dropdown list of users as you type in their name. Click on the name when you want to tag them.

:smile:

I'm a mod so I'll tag them for you in your original post.

Quick Reply

Latest