The Student Room Group

AQA AS FP1 Further Pure 1 15th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by An1998
I got tanx=-1/root3, but i maybe wrong :/

I think I got tan pi/3 = 3^0.5
Hi guys did anyone get -7/4<k<1/4 for the value of k for the parabola question? Please say someone did!
Nah I got -1/2<k<2 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Olsmarto
Nah I got -1/2<k<2 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got this aswell :biggrin:
I'm a little sweat and do all the past papers and I feel this years papers have been worse than the past papers I've done😶 hopefully the grade boundaries and 100ums will be a lot lower? Anyone agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got an unofficial mark scheme for this ?
[QUOTE=Physics Optimist;65801937]Thanks - this was the only one where I think I made a mistake. I got q as -7, -1 and 5. I didn't like 3 values and my Casio didn't agree with me :smile: I think I have one sign error so a probable 1/5 marks?

How did you get that?! I got -1 and couldn't work out the others which meant I completely screwed up that question :frown: ended up spending like 25 minutes on it too
[QUOTE=Olsmarto;65805605]I'm a little sweat and do all the past papers and I feel this years papers have been worse than the past papers I've done😶 hopefully the grade boundaries and 100ums will be a lot lower? Anyone agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other than the complex number question, I didn't do the questions any more difficult, though there were some 5/6 markers which would usually be split into smaller questions
Original post by Olsmarto
I'm a little sweat and do all the past papers and I feel this years papers have been worse than the past papers I've done😶 hopefully the grade boundaries and 100ums will be a lot lower? Anyone agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably ~58 for an A. The paper was good except the higher mark ones which were much harder than usual, especially complex numbers question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
How did you get that?! I got -1 and couldn't work out the others which meant I completely screwed up that question :frown: ended up spending like 25 minutes on it too

I subbed p+qi and p-2i into the equation, hence getting 4 simultaneous equations in p and q (2real and 2 imag). Two of them gave -1 for q but the others are prob incorrect. Never mind 😄
Original post by bheaton
Loved the matrix question anyone remember what they got for the last part of the question???

2root3 and 2
Reply 51
Did anyone get (32,2)(\frac{\sqrt 3}{2},2) for the 6 mark matrices question?

We had to find the coordinates of the point which is mapped onto (0,4)(0,-4), after being transformed by A2\mathbf{A^2} and then reflected in the line x3y=0x - \sqrt{3}y = 0. So, using the information from earlier question parts, this is how I arrived at my answer (sorry about the LaTex):

[12323212][4001][xy]=[04][2322312][xy]=[04] \begin{bmatrix} \frac{1}{2} & -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \\[6pt] - \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} & -\frac{1}{2} \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} 4 & 0 \\[6pt] 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} x \\[6pt] y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\[6pt] -4 \end{bmatrix} \: \therefore \: \begin{bmatrix} 2 & -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \\[8pt] - 2 \sqrt 3 & -\frac{1}{2} \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} x \\[6pt] y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\[6pt] -4 \end{bmatrix}

If we multiply the two matrices together, and compare both sides, we get 2x32y=02x - \frac{\sqrt 3}{2}y = 0 and 23x12y=4- 2 \sqrt 3x - \frac{1}{2}y = -4.

By solving these equations simultaneously, we can then show that x=32x = \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} and y=2y = 2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sam_97
Did anyone get (32,2)(\frac{\sqrt 3}{2},2) for the 6 mark matrices question?

We had to find the coordinates which were mapped onto (0,4)(0,-4) after being transformed by A2\mathbf{A^2} then reflected in the line x3y=0x - \sqrt{3}y = 0. So, using the information from earlier question parts, this is how I arrived at my answer (sorry about the LaTex):

[12323212].[4001].[xy]=[04] \begin{bmatrix} \frac{1}{2} & -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \\[6pt] - \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} & -\frac{1}{2} \end{bmatrix} . \begin{bmatrix} 4 & 0 \\[6pt] 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} . \begin{bmatrix} x \\[6pt] y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\[6pt] -4 \end{bmatrix} \:\:\Rightarrow [2322312].[xy]=[04]\:\: \begin{bmatrix} 2 & -\frac{\sqrt 3}{2} \\[8pt] - 2 \sqrt 3 & -\frac{1}{2} \end{bmatrix} . \begin{bmatrix} x \\[6pt] y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\[6pt] -4 \end{bmatrix}

If the multiply the new matrices together, then 2x32y=02x - \frac{\sqrt 3}{2}y = 0 and 23x12y=4- 2 \sqrt 3x - \frac{1}{2}y = -4.

By solving these two equations simultaneously, we get x=32x = \frac{\sqrt 3}{2} and y=2y = 2.

Hope someone recognises this!

Yay, I got this too!!!
Reply 53
Original post by ollycostello
2root3 and 2

YESSS!!! I got that
Reply 54
Original post by Roxanne18
Yay, I got this too!!!

Great! Hopefully it's correct
Reply 55
Is anyone else taking MS2B on Tuesday ?
Reply 56
Original post by bheaton
Is anyone else taking MS2B on Tuesday ?

I am. Here's the link to the MS2B exam thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4121015
[QUOTE=Physics Optimist;65808229]I subbed p+qi and p-2i into the equation, hence getting 4 simultaneous equations in p and q (2real and 2 imag). Two of them gave -1 for q but the others are prob incorrect. Never mind 😄

That's what I did but I just got -1, and then through doing something weird I got -8i?! I don't know hahaha
Uggggh for the final matrices question, somehow managed to f*ck up my simultaneous equations!?! Got so close... such a dumbass :L
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
That's what I did but I just got -1, and then through doing something weird I got -8i?! I don't know hahaha.

I'm hoping for 2 out of 5.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending