The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Chemistry C2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Grade boundary ideas guys? 49 for A*?
Reply 121
Original post by blueribbons99
Guys instead of digital thermometer I couldn't think and wrote electric thermometer do U think this would get any marks:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly what I said, I reckon it's fine
Original post by Naco88
Grade boundary ideas guys? 49 for A*?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50-51, seems like everyone has got the same answers
Original post by danniconda
I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50-51, seems like everyone has got the same answers

I agree I think it'll be 51

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Was Ammonium chloride the salt formed? Question 2c before 6 marker
Wouldn't you have to say that sulfur is insoluble hence why you can see it, so surely it doesn't 'dissolve'?
You should also be allowed 'add a lid' and 'insulate edges' with 'to reduce heat loss' for the 'how can you improve the accuracy of the experiment?' mark :smile:

Was there a question on what happens when magnesium bonds with chloride ions? I remember putting something about magnesium transferring one electron to each chloride atom, so the magnesium gets a +2 charge and the chloride atoms each get a -1 charge, and the strong electrostatic attraction between the oppositely charged ions holds them together.

Often for the conduction in a metal question you have to specifically state that the electrons are free to move through the structure carrying the charge.

Diamond you should mention that each of the carbon atoms is attached to four other carbon atoms (in a crystalline structure).

And the final question asked specifically why you would use thermosetting instead of thermosoftening; thermosetting don't easily melt because the cross-links between their polymer chains form strong covalent bonds throughout the structure, thermosoftening would melt with the heat of the pan because its polymer chains are held together by weak intermolecular forces between them and set in that shape when the pan cooled, deforming the handle.
Original post by Naco88
They are the only 2 I saw.

could you do the concentration of them?
Reply 128
Original post by powderpuff16
could you do the concentration of them?

Most likely yes :smile:
Original post by BDunlop
Wouldn't you have to say that sulfur is insoluble hence why you can see it, so surely it doesn't 'dissolve'?

Yeah I think you had to say that is formed an insoluble precipitate
Is fossil fuels a source of methane?
Original post by BDunlop

Thats what i put
Original post by jackbarry1999
1b) use a digital thermometer ~ more accurate ~ no human error

What if you say use a thermometer with a higher resolution(has more numbers after the decimal)?
Original post by Naco88
Sure :smile:

That reminds me, there was a question after when it asks you after what type of bond is water. It was 'Why doesn't pure water conduct electricity?'
My answer is: Because water has weak intermolecular forces, but have a strong covalent bond as the electrons are shared therefore the atoms have no charges and so water cannot conduct electricity. (Which I don't know if it's correct)

Correct answer:
Pure Water has a no ions.
(edited 7 years ago)
One of the question's in question 4 was something like:
What will raising the temperature do to the rate of reaction?
My answer was something along the lines of(in brief):
Gives particles more energy, particles move faster, more collisions occur, rate of reaction sped up
Original post by Certified
Electrolysis -

Gas produced was hydrogen
Why : H+ ions are more reactive than Mg^2+

Last question:

Copper can can conduct electricity due to free delocalised electrons that carry a charge, they move about the giant lattice.

Thermosetting is the better option because it can withstand high temperatures unlike thermosoftening. It has cross links made up of strong covalent bonds. They do not melt at high temperatures - high melting and boiling point.

No, magnesium ions are more reactive than hydrogen ions, so the Mg ions are more keen to stay as an ion, thus the hydrogen ions are reduced to hydrogen and then form hydrogen molecule.
are nanoparticles bigger or smaller than normal particles?
I think grade boundaries will be 51-53 for an a* considering how this paper was set out nicely with no really tricky questions like the c1 paper last year with a grade boundary of 50 for an a*
How did everyone get 200kg for the 6 mark question? I got 250kg - I did 500 + 200 + 50 = 750, and then divided it by 3. I know I will probably get some marks for it, but I just wondered what everyone else did. :confused:
Original post by Katwamba01
That reminds me, there was a question after when it asks you after what type of bond is water. It was 'Why doesn't water conduct electricity?'
My answer is: Because water has weak intermolecular forces, but have a strong covalent bond as the electrons are shared therefore the atoms have no charges and so water cannot conduct electricity. (Which I don't know if it's correct)

Correct answer:
Water has a simple molecular structure which doesn't conduct electricity. This is because they do not have any free electrons or an overall electric charge as the covalent bond shares electrons between them
it said PURE water didn't it? And it doesn't have ions in it anyway... So I don't think you have to write about simple molecular substances it was one mark
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending