The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Exam went horribly - any courses of action I can take?

I sat my computing F452 exam retake today (which should've been a walk in the park considering I've had A's and B's in my mocks this entire year). Which is a spanner in the works for trying to get accepted to my firm place, Reading :frown: :frown:

Unfortunately, I think I've completely bottled it, as I hit a brick wall trying to answer one of the larger questions, and foolishly wasted about half the exam time I had left panicking instead of trying to answer the rest. :s-smilie:

Although it went horribly I genuinely reckon my other exams and coursework would keep my marks up, although I'll undoubtedly fall down a grade or too. Not as far as a fail, though.

I'm absolutely 10,000% sure this will ruin my chances of getting accepted to Reading university, my question is there any course of action I can take to withhold my place there if I don't get the grade I needed on results day? :confused:

I doubt there is but anything to put my mind at ease would help.

Original post by Oceancity
I sat my computing F452 exam retake today (which should've been a walk in the park considering I've had A's and B's in my mocks this entire year). Which is a spanner in the works for trying to get accepted to my firm place, Reading :frown: :frown:

Unfortunately, I think I've completely bottled it, as I hit a brick wall trying to answer one of the larger questions, and foolishly wasted about half the exam time I had left panicking instead of trying to answer the rest. :s-smilie:

Although it went horribly I genuinely reckon my other exams and coursework would keep my marks up, although I'll undoubtedly fall down a grade or too. Not as far as a fail, though.

I'm absolutely 10,000% sure this will ruin my chances of getting accepted to Reading university, my question is there any course of action I can take to withhold my place there if I don't get the grade I needed on results day? :confused:

Hi,

Sorry to hear that the exam didn't go as planned. Firstly try not to focus on it too much and concentrate on any other exams you have at the moment.

Concerning results day...Firstly depending on the year and how many places there are and other varying factors you might be lucky and still get in if you've dropped a grade. It does sometimes happen when people get in having dropped a grade, and the university understands that exams don't always go to plan. For example I dropped a grade and still received my confirmed place. Obviously that doesn't happen for everyone every year and I'm not saying its a given, but it does happen sometimes since the departments review not just the grade but your personal statement and references and things.

That said if it doesn't go as planned and you don't keep you place, it is normally suggested to get in contact with the university, normally your department but they will probably email you with the correct contacts if this is the case.

Though for the time being try not to worry too much and continue the revision for any other exams and then enjoy your summer because there is nothing you can do till results days. Hope this helps!

Emma :smile:
2nd Year Human and Physical Geography
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by UniofReading
Hi,

Sorry to hear that the exam didn't go as planned. Firstly try not to focus on it too much and concentrate on any other exams you have at the moment.

Concerning results day...Firstly depending on the year and how many places there are and other varying factors you might be lucky and still get in if you've dropped a grade. It does sometimes happen when people get in having dropped a grade, and the university understands that exams don't always go to plan. For example I dropped a grade and still received my confirmed place. Obviously that doesn't happen for everyone every year and I'm not saying its a given, but it does happen sometimes since the departments review not just the grade but your personal statement and references and things.

That said if it doesn't go as planned and you don't keep you place, it is normally suggested to get in contact with the university, normally your department but they will probably email you with the correct contacts if this is the case.

Though for the time being try not to worry too much and continue the revision for any other exams and then enjoy your summer because there is nothing you can do till results days. Hope this helps!

Emma :smile:
2nd Year Human and Physical Geography

Thanks Emma that really did help!
Original post by Oceancity

That might've screwed my grade up too, sorry for our loss :P I'm sure it will be ok though there's usually leniency with admissions. And if you don;t make it you can apply through clearing to other unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending