The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
A shotgun certificate won’t be given or renewed if the chief officer of police has a reason that you shouldn’t be allowed to have a shotgun under the Firearms Act. Or if they don’t think you have a good reason to have, buy or acquire a shotgun. - gov.uk

It's just insane people still believe that you don't need good reason to obtain a shotgun certificate.
You can't legally own one without a certificate, just in case you were wondering.

I say good reason in terms of having an FAC which requires you to have a specific reason and generally land or part of a shooting club . This is not the case for shotguns.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/start-shooting/how-to-get-shotgun-certificate-licence-32358

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Original post by Elivercury
It's certainly not suitable to be posted on the forum, but if you believe the argument about self defence then you should look up Jim Jefferies argument about guns.
Ha! Just posted it! Perfectly suitable!

Also, given the topic is about assault rifles, unless you are worried that a militia is going to try and overrun your home I fail to see how this cannot be anything other than complete overkill for the purpose of defending yourself.
The 2nd amendment allows the right to bear arms in the context of being part of a "well regulated militia", in order to protect the people against tyrannical government.

As JJ said "You're bringing a gun to a drone fight!"
Reply 102
Original post by DiddyDec
I say good reason in terms of having an FAC which requires you to have a specific reason and generally land or part of a shooting club . This is not the case for shotguns.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/start-shooting/how-to-get-shotgun-certificate-licence-32358

Posted from TSR Mobile
You said you don't need a "good reason to own a shotgun".
You do. It even says so in the link you posted - although the gov't site explaining the procedure is probably more reliable than smallpenis?getagun.co.uk
Original post by QE2
A shotgun certificate won’t be given or renewed if the chief officer of police has a reason that you shouldn’t be allowed to have a shotgun under the Firearms Act. Or if they don’t think you have a good reason to have, buy or acquire a shotgun. - gov.uk

It's just insane people still believe that you don't need good reason to obtain a shotgun certificate.
You can't legally own one without a certificate, just in case you were wondering.

I knew I was right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes You really do need a good reason. Self defense is not one.
I am currently In the process of getting my license for guns and Shotguns so I know, and the process is hard
Original post by QE2
When you are used to almost no shootings at at all, more than four in one go does seem like an awful lot, I must admit.
However, I guess that when shootings of more than four people happen on an almost daily basis, you must get a little jaded.

Homicide rates in the US have been cut in half over the past 30 years, while concealed carry permits have skyrocketed and more citizens keep guns on their person than at any time in history.

The UK gun ban had no discernible benefit on homicide rates; in fact there was a large spike and near doubling of homicides in the years following Dunblane, which only began falling around 2003 when there was a large increase in police presence.

Reality doesn't support your failed agenda.
I find it amusing that people cry about America but unlike them we have no caliber limit for rifles, if you can afford £10k you can get a .50cal Barrett.
Original post by otester
I find it amusing that people cry about America but unlike them we have no caliber limit for rifles, if you can afford £10k you can get a .50cal Barrett.

People cry about America while conveniently ignoring the fact that several European nations have quite relaxed attitudes towards guns and high rates of gun ownership, and also happen to be considerably safer than the UK.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Yes You really do need a good reason. Self defense is not one.
I am currently In the process of getting my license for guns and Shotguns so I know, and the process is hard

Simply saying that you want to take part in field sports is good enough reason to be able to get a shotgun. If you did that for an FAC they would tell you to get ****ed. This is where I make the difference between the "good reason" clause.

Getting a shotgun is not a hard process, it is easier than getting a driving licence.
Simply saying that you want to take part in field sports is good enough reason to be able to get a shotgun. If you did that for an FAC they would tell you to get ****ed. This is where I make the difference between the "good reason" clause.

Getting a shotgun is not a hard process, it is easier than getting a driving licence.

Yeah but don't you have to let PC Plod in your house to look at your gun safe?
Original post by QE2
You said you don't need a "good reason to own a shotgun".
You do. It even says so in the link you posted - although the gov't site explaining the procedure is probably more reliable than smallpenis?getagun.co.uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-law-guidance-to-the-police-2012

Have a read.

Shotguns are not covered under the extentsive "good reason" clause for FACs. That is why I put "good reason" in quotes, the good reason clause for shotguns is easy to pass which is why they are easy to posses.
Original post by otester

Yeah, there's nothing very hard about that provided you do in fact have one installed. Besides waiting for them to get through their several month backlog.
Original post by otester

Yeah, but you can technically aquire the licence prior to installing the safe.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Yeah, there's nothing very hard about that provided you do in fact have one installed. Besides waiting for them to get through their several month backlog.

Is it a case of he comes, say hi, you show him, he leaves, or is there a subtle interrogation as well?
Original post by otester
Is it a case of he comes, say hi, you show him, he leaves, or is there a subtle interrogation as well?

They're a bit more thorough. The gun cabinet needs to be installed properly (ie. Hidden, bolted to walls and floor, preferably covered by a burglar alarm, but they have a bit of leeway for their own judgement of "is it secure enough"). They also have a chat to confirm that you have a decent grasp of gun safety, you're not a raving lunatic and there's generally nothing to concern them about you.
Reply 115
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-law-guidance-to-the-police-2012

Have a read.

Shotguns are not covered under the extentsive "good reason" clause for FACs. That is why I put "good reason" in quotes, the good reason clause for shotguns is easy to pass which is why they are easy to posses.
What are you on about? Shotguns are not exempt from the applicant having "good reason" to posses them.
Original post by QE2
What are you on about? Shotguns are not exempt from the applicant having "good reason" to posses them.

Which part of not covered under the extensive "good reason" clause (Section 13 if you are struggling) do you not understand?
Reply 117
Which part of not covered under the extensive "good reason" clause (Section 13 if you are struggling) do you not understand?
You seem confused. Probably best if you just quote the paragraph that states that prospective shotgun owners do not need to have "good reason" for possession.

After all, you did say..."you don't actually need "good reason" to own a shotgun."

Whereas the regulations state that the police can refuse a shotgun licence..."if they don’t think you have a good reason to have, buy or acquire a shotgun. - gov.uk
Original post by QE2
You seem confused. Probably best if you just quote the paragraph that states that prospective shotgun owners do not need to have "good reason" for possession.

After all, you did say..."you don't actually need "good reason" to own a shotgun."

Whereas the regulations state that the police can refuse a shotgun licence..."if they don’t think you have a good reason to have, buy or acquire a shotgun. - gov.uk

From my own recollection of it (I have a shotgun license), I think it was kind of a subtle difference. They won't give you a shotgun license for no reason at all, but I was under the impression that provided you meet the requirements the default position is "we'll give you a license" unless there's a good reason not to, and something like "I want to shoot clays as a hobby" is considered a sufficiently good reason. For a firearms license (ie. rifles generally, and especially anything more exotic than a .22 bolt action thing), even if you meet the requirements the default position is they're not going to give you a license unless you have a good reason for needing it, like working protecting your crops from wildlife. They're rather more stringent in checking why you need it (I think you have to justify each individual gun as well, or at least each "type" of gun).

tldr; shotguns, assume it's fine unless there's a good reason to think otherwise. Anything else, it's not fine unless there's a good reason to think otherwise.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by Potally_Tissed
From my own recollection of it (I have a shotgun license), I think it was kind of a subtle difference. They won't give you a shotgun license for no reason at all, but I was under the impression that provided you meet the requirements the default position is "we'll give you a license" unless there's a good reason not to, and something like "I want to shoot clays as a hobby" is considered a sufficiently good reason. For a firearms license (ie. rifles generally, and especially anything more exotic than a .22 bolt action thing), even if you meet the requirements the default position is they're not going to give you a license unless you have a good reason for needing it, like working protecting your crops from wildlife. They're rather more stringent in checking why you need it (I think you have to justify each individual gun as well, or at least each "type" of gun).

tldr; shotguns, assume it's fine unless there's a good reason to think otherwise. Anything else, it's not fine unless there's a good reason to think otherwise.
I appreciate this. I was just pointing out the error in Diddy's assertion that you don't need a good reason to get a shotgun licence. If they asked why you wanted a shotgun and you said "no reason, just fancy one", they woould probably refuse it.

Latest

Trending

Trending