The Student Room Group

2016 IGCSE Chemistry Paper 2 Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Niclewis
For "why do you heat the acid" i said to help the solid dissolve. Would i get it for that? And also for the excess one is it that the solid will sink to the bottom of the beaker?

Quoting from the mark scheme:to increase the rate/speed(of the reaction)

IGNORE to start the reaction/to provideenergy/references to the copper(II) oxidewill not react without heat / to make itdissolve faster / to give particles more
energy.

ACCEPT:to overcome the activationenergy/to provide activationenergy (for the reaction)
Original post by jamesj477
The insoluble impurities were removed at stage 2, as they were filtered out, leaving salt water.
Other 2 are correct

Yes, exactly, that was stage 3, and thats what most people said in my school, for that reason.
for the volume of oxygen one, is it that the volume decreases because the oxygen reacts with the iron but then stops decreasing after 2 weeks because all the oxygen has been used up?
Original post by Cheekymonkey2311
If i times it by 3 instead of dividing it by 3, how many marks do you reckon i would get, if any?

I cant remember what it was out of. If it was out of 3, I'd say probably 1 mark, but if it was out of 2 then probably 0 (although I'm no expert on marks schemes, so don't take my word for it)
did the concordat question say pick three numbers?
Original post by Castro300
Yes, exactly, that was stage 3, and thats what most people said in my school, for that reason.

no i think the sand was removed in stage 2 but the impurities were removed in stage 6
Original post by Abodee1

IGNORE to start the reaction/to provideenergy/references to the copper(II) oxidewill not react without heat / to make itdissolve faster / to give particles more
energy.

ACCEPT:to overcome the activationenergy/to provide activationenergy (for the reaction)

Lol I didn't know so I mashed 2 answers in one, I said it will increase the solubility so more copper oxide will react, therefore speeding up the rate of reaction. Doesn't really make sense tho but o well
Original post by Abodee1

energy.

Oh no, i put increase rate AND start reaction. Im guessing the ignore cancels out the accept. But is that for reject though, and not ignore
no i think the sand was removed in stage 2 but the impurities were removed in stage 6

The sand was removed at stage 2, but the impurities were INSOLUBLE, so they did not dissolve, so they were filtered out as well
Original post by aaliya23
did the concordat question say pick three numbers?

It didn't say how many to tick
I worked out the wrong answer for the 2.75 question. I accidentally worked out 7.5( the weight of one of the other compounds) 😞😞
for the methyl orange thing
- it definitely CAN'T be orange as methyl orange is actually yellow when neutral (yellow above ph 4.4)

so its either yellow or red...
Original post by Castro300
Oh no, i put increase rate AND start reaction. Im guessing the ignore cancels out the accept. But is that for reject though, and not ignore

No dont worry :smile: you will get the mark they are going to totally ignore the start reaction ignore means consider it as if it wasnot there.
Reply 133
any other questions??
what did you guys for the chemical equation about nitric acid and copper oxide?
Reply 135
i have no idea what you are going on about. You are talking down to people like they have no idea. They will accept red because it does turn slightly acidic FACT

It changes from red at 3.1 pH that is not slightly acidic that is very acidic. It shouldn't be accepted.
Reply 136
Original post by elertopo

?) HNO3 + CuO -> Cu(NO3)2 + H2O
Original post by elertopo

Cuo+2HNO3----->H2O+Cu(NO3)2
what did you guys for the chemical equation about nitric acid and copper oxide??
Reply 139
silicon wasn't an option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending