The Student Room Group

Gcse unit 2 chemistry aqa unofficial mark scheme+discussion

Hey everyone!:p:D
I was thrilled with today's paper as there was not a big challenge. I hope it went well and you get the grades you want.
The thing with this paper is their was a lot of 2-3 mark answers and rather than I write down what I wrote, we construct this mark scheme together?:wink:

I copied all questions and a few definite answers on Tracing paper, so these are 1000000000% Reliable.

----------------------AQA CHEMISTRY HIGHER TIER UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME----------------------------

1)
a) You were asked to calculate the mean
Answer: 5.75

ii) Question: Suggest Improvement to the experiment.
(This question came up in a past paper, so I shall post all the definite answer's like last year).
Answers (Mark scheme from June 2015 paper):
improvement:
use a plastic / polystyrene cup or add a lid reason - must be linked reduce / stop heat loss (accept use lagging/insulation).
OR
improvement:use a digital thermometer (allow use a data logger) reason - must be linked more accurate or easy to read or stores data (allow more precise or more sensitive).

Ignore:
>ignore more reliable
>ignore improvements to method,eg take more readings

Possible answers:
b)You were given some Data and you had to post the Links between the Mass and Final Temp, here's the data.

Mass (g) Final Temperature in degrees Celsius
2.0 --------------------------------------- 21.5
4.0 --------------------------------------- 23.0
6.0 --------------------------------------- 24.5
8.0 --------------------------------------- 26.0
10.0 --------------------------------------- 26.6
12.0 --------------------------------------- 26.6
14.0 --------------------------------------- 26.6
Answer:

2)
a)Endothermic

b)You had to work out the percentage of Nitrogen in NH3
Answer: 82.4%

c)
i) 7

ii) Tick the correct box
Answer: H+ + OH- -> H20

iii) Ammonium and Chlorine react to produce
Answer: Ammonium Chloride

d) This was the 6 mark question. Basically, here's an overview of an answer to get points.
Answer: 200kg of Ammonium Nitrate would be chosen, because it has a high yield and high profit, and minimal deposit into the river when washed away.
(I think to get high marks in this, you need to include numbers in your answer)

3)
a)
i)Explain why Oxygen has a mass of 16.
Answer:

ii) 12/6 C and 14/6 C are Isotopes of Carbon. Explain why include Sub-atomic particles in your answer.
Answer:

b)
i) Asks you what type of bonding is in the water molecule.
Answer: Covalent bond

ii)
Answer: Water has no overall charge.

c)
i)
Answer: Nano particles are 100x bigger than an atom.
ii)
Answer: Nano particles have a larger surface area than powders, making them better catalysts.

4)
a) Why did the solution go cloudy?
Answer: The solid sulphur is a precipitate from the reaction.

b)State 2 things that should be done to keep this a fair test:
Answer:
1)
2)

c)How does the increasing temperature affect the rate of reaction? You must refer to sub-atomic particles and collisions in your answer.
Answer:

d)
Answer: Change volume of Hydrochloric Acid

5)
a)When Magnesium reacts with Chlorine. Explain in terms of particles what happens etc.

b)
i)
Answer: Electrons and Ions have to be molten because they are more free to move to the oppositely charged electrode.

ii)Why does Magnesium move to the Negative Electrode in electrolysis? (3 Marks)?
Answer:

iii)
Answer: Hydrogen

iv)
Answer: Hydrogen is less reactive than Magnesium.

b)
Answer: 2CL------>CL2 + 2e-

c)Why are metals bendy? (2 marks)
Answer: They consist of layers of atoms. These layers can slide over one another when the metal is bent, hammered or pressed. (BBC Bitesize answer)

6)
a) Why does copper conduct Electricity?
Answer:

b) Why is Diamond Hard?
Answer:

c)Why are Thermosetting Polymers used as Saucepan handles instead of Thermoplastics (Thermosoftening)?
Answer:

As you can see I have left a lot of Gaps, Simply because I can not be bothered to put in my answer.
Have an answer to include? say @Bulletzone and Tell me the answer to the question/s you have. Do any of you disagree? Just say @Bulletzone and tell me why.

PEACE!:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Bulletzone
Hey everyone!
I was thrilled with today's paper as there was not a big challenge. I hope it went well and you get the grades you want.
The thing with this paper is their was alot of 2-3 mark answers and rather than I write down what I wrote, we construct this mark scheme together?

I copied all questions and a few definite answers on Tracing paper, so these are 1000000000% Reliable.

AQA HIGHER TIER:
1)

(This question came up in a past paper, so I shall post all the definite answer's like last year).
Answer:

Possible answers:
b)You were given some Data and you had to post the Links between the Mass and Final Temp, here's the data.

2.0 21.5
4.0 23.0
6.0 24.5
8.0 26.0
10.0 26.6
12.0 26.6
14.0 26.6
Answer:

2)
a)Endothermic

c)
i) 7

ii) Tick the correct box

d) This was the 6 mark question. Basically, here's an overview of an answer to get points.
Answer: 200kg of Ammonium Nitrate would be chosen, because it has a high yield and high profit, and minimal deposit into the river when washed away.

3)
a)
Answer:

ii) 12/6 C and 14/6 C are Isotopes of Carbon. Explain why include Sub-atomic particles in your answer.
Answer:

b)

ii)
Answer: Water has no delocalised electrons which can't carry the electricity?

c)
i)
Answer: Nanoparticles are smaller than atoms.

ii)
Answer: Nanoparticles have a larger surface area than powders, making them better catalysts.

4)
a) Why did the soloution go cloudy?
Answer: The solid sulfur is a precipitate from the reaction.

Answer:
1)
2)

c)How does the increasing temperature affect the rate of reaction? You must refer to sub-atomic particles and collisions in your answer.
Answer:

d)

5)
a)When Magnesium reacts with Chlorine. Explain in terms of particles what happens etc.

b)
i)
Answer: Electrons and Ions have to be molten because they are more free to move to the oppositely charged electrode.

ii)Why does Magnesium move to the Negative Electrode in electrolysis? (3 Marks)?
Answer:

iii)

iv)

b)

c)Why are metals bendy? (3 marks)
Answer:

6)
Answer:

b) Why is Diamond Hard?
Answer:

c)Why are Thermosetting Polymers used as Saucepan handles instead of Thermoplastics (Thermosoftening)?
Answer:

As you can see I have left alot of Gaps, Simply because I can not be bothered to put in my answer.
Have an answer to include? say @Bulletzone and Tell me the answer to the question/s you have. Do any of you disagree? Just say @Bulletzone and tell me why.

Nanoparticles are 100 times bigger than an atom

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
i put water has no overall charge , do u reckon this is right
Reply 3
OMG Can't believe I made that mistake. :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by salty670

Probably would.
Original post by salty670

that is right. his answer is not.
Hey everyone!
The thing with this paper is their was alot of 2-3 mark answers and rather than I write down what I wrote, we construct this mark scheme together?

AQA HIGHER TIER:
1)

Answer:

Possible answers:

2.0 21.5
4.0 23.0
6.0 24.5
8.0 26.0
10.0 26.6
12.0 26.6
14.0 26.6
Answer:

2)
a)Endothermic

c)
i) 7

ii) Tick the correct box

3)
a)
Answer:

Answer:

b)

ii)

c)
i)
Answer: Nanoparticles are 100x biggert than an atom.
ii)
Answer: Nanoparticles have a larger surface area than powders, making them better catalysts.

4)

Answer:
1)
2)

Answer:

d)

5)

b)
i)

Answer:

iii)

iv)

b)

c)Why are metals bendy? (3 marks)
Answer:

6)
Answer:

b) Why is Diamond Hard?
Answer:

Answer:

As you can see I have left alot of Gaps, Simply because I can not be bothered to put in my answer.

I literally wrote the right answr then crossed it out!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
Reply 7
Metals are bendy because the layers of metal atoms can slide over each other without breaking when a force is applied? would that get me 2 marks
Reply 8
Original post by dh12345
Metals are bendy because the layers of metal atoms can slide over each other without breaking when a force is applied? would that get me 2 marks

According to the BBC Bitesize:
Metals are malleable - they can be bent and shaped. This is because they consist of layers of atoms. These layers can slide over one another when the metal is bent, hammered or pressed.
Reply 9
Metals are malleable - they can be bent and shaped. This is because they consist of layers of atoms. These layers can slide over one another when the metal is bent, hammered or pressed.

i don't think malleable will get you the mark because all malleable means is that a means is that something can be bent or pressed without breaking wasn't the question asking why its malleable basically

i can provide mos

Hey everyone!

AQA HIGHER TIER:
1)

Answer:

Possible answers:

2.0 21.5
4.0 23.0
6.0 24.5
8.0 26.0
10.0 26.6
12.0 26.6
14.0 26.6
Answer:

2)
a)Endothermic

c)
i) 7

ii) Tick the correct box

3)
a)
Answer:

Answer:

b)

ii)

c)
i)
Answer: Nanoparticles are 100x biggert than an atom.
ii)

4)

Answer:
1)
2)

Answer:

d)

5)

b)
i)

Answer:

iii)

iv)

b)

c)Why are metals bendy? (2 marks)
Answer: They consist of layers of atoms. These layers can slide over one another when the metal is bent, hammered or pressed. (BBC Bitesize answer)

6)
Answer:

b) Why is Diamond Hard?
Answer:

Answer:

Hey, just wanna say thanks fro being so useful on tsr here, you don;t seem to get any recognition so yh, not to mention the constant aubse from Prussia.
For the mean queation, I put 5.8, since the values are recorded to 1.d.p. I'm sure you can't have an answer of a higher degree of accuracy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oasis61
For the mean queation, I put 5.8, since the values are recorded to 1.d.p. I'm sure you can't have an answer of a higher degree of accuracy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure both will get you the mark.
Original post by FutureDietitian
I'm pretty sure both will get you the mark.

Ok thanks. For the improvement in accuracy question I put use a higher resolution thermometer so you can record with a higher degree of accuracy?
Original post by Oasis61
Ok thanks. For the improvement in accuracy question I put use a higher resolution thermometer so you can record with a higher degree of accuracy?

That shall get you a mark. (I did the same thing).

Original post by 1jonam16
i can provide mos

Hey, just wanna say thanks fro being so useful on tsr here, you don;t seem to get any recognition so yh, not to mention the constant aubse from Prussia.

I'm not in it for the recognition, it's just a Hercules task trying to find someone who shares the same interests/intellect like me. On TSR there's Einstein's everywhere :smile:
Original post by Oasis61

I put use a lid on the beaker, but I'm not sure to be honest

it's either lid, insulation, maybe better thermometer, but probs not the latter
Original post by 1jonam16
it's either lid, insulation, maybe better thermometer, but probs not the latter

There was a question similar to this, lemme pull it up for you.

Check out this paper and go to question 2b, hope it helps :smile:

Similarly, they asked for one way to improve your results....
(edited 7 years ago)
There was a question similar to this, lemme pull it up for you.

Check out this paper and go to question 2b, hope it helps :smile:

Similarly, they asked for one way to improve your results....

the only reason i got that question was because i looked at that past paper before the exam :biggrin:
I but 88% because 15/17 *100 gives you 88 %

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending